• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory Gone

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

What % of USF fans still hanging on would be concerned primarily with the two most popular sports at USF?

I'll get my people working on that exact number. Although I do know that the historically crappy results in football, and similar results in MBB the last 5 years, hasn't negatively affected the donor levels which should be an important indicator of what fans are concerned about ..... but we do need to stop playing with fire in that regard and get both sports on an upward trend.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,046
  • Days Won:  10

30 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Yes.  I happen to only care about football and MBB.  By the same token, they also happen to be the 2 sports that bring in the most $$.  Also, success or failure in football has been and will continue to be one of the main driving forces in realignment.  

Absolutely true. Football is and will always be the most important driver. However, I think men's basketball in the future could be an important driver as well. I think that is why UCONN was seriously considered during the last ACC expansion. During the next expansion everything being equal I must think that Memphis, because of their great basketball program, might have an edge on us. More reason for Kelly to get this men's basketball hire right. There is no reason that we can't become an elite team in basketball.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

46 minutes ago, Brad said:

What % of USF fans still hanging on would be concerned primarily with the two most popular sports at USF?

25 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'll get my people working on that exact number. 

Take a guess.  80%, 90%, 95%?  Doesn't have to be exact.  

And the fact that donations are consistent despite the failures in FB and MBB is not an indicator that our donors have shifted their attention and dollars to Lacrosse and Tennis.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

Wait I thought it was the big three in sports? How did we get down to 2? P2?

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Take a guess.  80%, 90%, 95%?  Doesn't have to be exact.  

And the fact that donations are consistent despite the failures in FB and MBB is not an indicator that our donors have shifted their attention and dollars to Lacrosse and Tennis.  

I never said anything about shifting attention to other sports but you apparently took it that way. Maybe I could have put it differently so I'll rephrase my initial statement:

"Although I do know that the historically crappy results in football, and similar results in MBB the last 5 years, hasn't negatively affected the donor levels. That should be an important indicator of apparently what those fans currently aren't concerned enough about to withhold support; the on the field/court results of those 2 sports.... but we do need to stop playing with fire in that regard and get both of them on an upward trend."

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Must be a home run hire after firing CBG. Think St John’s is going after Pitino. Maybe he wants a location in Tampa Bay.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

On 3/11/2023 at 1:57 PM, Rocky Style said:

So basically the same.

Yes, but my point is that we have been fed this losing isn’t acceptable crud, yet we had a chance at 3 marquee CFB coaches and ended up with another coordinator w/o JC experience. Now we have a chance to sign one of a few proven CBB coaches and if we end up with another dud, I will lose all faith in this department. That said, I am really happy we didn’t get Deion and I think Golesh could be a really good hire, but time will tell. The fact that other schools stretch themselves to sign the best and we don’t leaves me with little faith in VPMK and I am not investing in anything I don’t believe trust in. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

45 minutes ago, Triple B said:

"Although I do know that the historically crappy results in football, and similar results in MBB the last 5 years, hasn't negatively affected the donor levels. That should be an important indicator of apparently what those fans currently aren't concerned enough about to withhold support; the on the field/court results of those 2 sports.... but we do need to stop playing with fire in that regard and get both of them on an upward trend."

Better.  Except, again, I wouldn’t use the donation levels to determine level of concern.   Speaking for myself, I’m sinking in more dollars than a few years ago and my “concern” has only magnified.  USF has also done better with Iron Bulls.  It’s not just the dollar level, but how many are contributing to that that matters. Is the base growing or shrinking?

There is no need to create a reason not to be concerned.  Or assume others shouldn’t be concerned….unless you want to use this:

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  366
  • Days Won:  1

15 minutes ago, michibull said:

Yes, but my point is that we have been fed this losing isn’t acceptable crud, yet we had a chance at 3 marquee CFB coaches and ended up with another coordinator w/o JC experience. Now we have a chance to sign one of a few proven CBB coaches and if we end up with another dud, I will lose all faith in this department. That said, I am really happy we didn’t get Deion and I think Golesh could be a really good hire, but time will tell. The fact that other schools stretch themselves to sign the best and we don’t leaves me with little faith in VPMK and I am not investing in anything I don’t believe trust in. 

Why are you really happy we didn’t get Deion? Have you seen the talent he has brought in to Colorado? Probably better then any year in USF football history. 

24 minutes ago, Brad said:

Better.  Except, again, I wouldn’t use the donation levels to determine level of concern.   Speaking for myself, I’m sinking in more dollars than a few years ago and my “concern” has only magnified.  USF has also done better with Iron Bulls.  It’s not just the dollar level, but how many are contributing to that that matters. Is the base growing or shrinking?

We can probably get into a whole separate discussion on how to define "concern" and then measure it. Pretty sure, though, every fan/donor out there is "concerned" to some degree about the Big 2 at this point no matter how you define it.

31 minutes ago, Brad said:

There is no need to create a reason not to be concerned.  Or assume others shouldn’t be concerned….

See second sentence in above response.