• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

He wasn't kidding (re: recruiting)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,541
  • Days Won:  3

25 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

You can't fire a coach after two years ( especially after the first one was at the onset of covid), so I think Kelly fired Scott at the right time.

The more interesting question will be if there is no turn around in basketball, will Kelly make the move, since in that case a move has been long due.

Kelly in my opinion has two years to show that Golesh was the right hire, and to get the basketball situation righted. To be honest I wasn't happy with the Golesh hire until this week, but February 2nd changed things a bit. I loved that he was able to pull in two high end recruits, and I liked what I heard in the presser. Still to early to know whether Coach Golesh is the one, but I am more hopeful now.

I say priorities are:

1a. Football

1b. Basketball

2. new conference 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

It was basically free money and job security for the worst fbs coach in usf football and possibly fbs football history 1-26. If we fired scott after year 2 and brought in Herman we wouldn't be here at the bottom of fbs football today  . Now golesh has to clean up and learn to be a head coach at the same time.  Big risk for an ad that every coaching hire and extension looks bad outside of wbb.

The misinformation in that one paragraph is kind of overwhelming ....

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,345
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

I say priorities are:

1a. Football

1b. Basketball

2. new conference 

Basketball should be below every football priority.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,484
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

The misinformation in that one paragraph is kind of overwhelming ....

What part is false? IF we fired Scott after year 2 and hired Todd Herman a proven winner in the AAC and  Big12 we would not be better off than zero fbs wins last year ?

Alex Golesh  0-0 No idea what will happen but I hope he succeeds and turns the page on the worst era of USF Football.

Todd Herman

image.png.45f75d31d734bb4042252fd8caeb6d95.png

Jeff Scott

image.png.8d973ee1ca4298448a48ad08b7c4412f.png

Edited by Outlaw

4 hours ago, belgianbull said:

You can't fire a coach after two years ( especially after the first one was at the onset of covid), so I think Kelly fired Scott at the right time.

The more interesting question will be if there is no turn around in basketball, will Kelly make the move, since in that case a move has been long due.

Kelly in my opinion has two years to show that Golesh was the right hire, and to get the basketball situation righted. To be honest I wasn't happy with the Golesh hire until this week, but February 2nd changed things a bit. I loved that he was able to pull in two high end recruits, and I liked what I heard in the presser. Still to early to know whether Coach Golesh is the one, but I am more hopeful now.

Good coaches find ways to win no matter the circumstances. Other coaches took over during covid and improved their program. 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, olafberserker said:

He got less than 3 years and one of those were interrupted by Covid, not sure that is "too long of a leash"

Using covid as an excuse is why we got one fbs in three football seasons. Good coaches get it done regardless the circumstances. Everyone who has been around football saw how clueless Jeff Scott was after year 1 and year 2. 

image.png.1ebb5cbe3ee03d47a564b2d456b16e0f.png

image.png.264835e3774d96a23f441f7ceb3af3d0.png

Edited by Outlaw
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Using covid as an excuse is why we got one fbs in three football seasons. Good coaches get it done regardless the circumstances. Everyone who has been around football saw how clueless Jeff Scott was after year 1 and year 2. 

image.png.1ebb5cbe3ee03d47a564b2d456b16e0f.png

image.png.264835e3774d96a23f441f7ceb3af3d0.png

Add those 3 losses of Da Prato to Scott as well. We know he wasn't winning those.

He was really 3-29 and then throw in a loss or few in '20. I was a fan when they hired him, but he was truly awful. MK couldn't fire him after two seasons because he was his guy and the COVID pass.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Add those 3 losses of Da Prato to Scott as well. We know he wasn't winning those.

He was really 3-29 and then throw in a loss or few in '20. I was a fan when they hired him, but he was truly awful. MK couldn't fire him after two seasons because he was his guy and the COVID pass.

Spot on if he failed MK looks bad so he double downed and extended him for "stability" and praising the culture shift. Scott's biggest accomplishment  at USF was his donation to the IPF . WE should have been in year 2 of improving under a veteran coach instead of year 0 again with an unproven coach doing a rebuild. All we can do is hope Golesh is the real deal and the complete opposite of the former coach.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Everyone tap the breaks. CAG is blessed, all he has to worry about is X's and O's. xCJS did the heavy lifting of instituting a culture change.

• Crying 1

8 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Spot on if he failed MK looks bad so he double downed and extended him for "stability" and praising the culture shift. Scott's biggest accomplishment  at USF was his donation to the IPF . WE should have been in year 2 of improving under a veteran coach instead of year 0 again with an unproven coach doing a rebuild. All we can do is hope Golesh is the real deal and the complete opposite of the former coach.

To be fair, I believe most ADs would give him the time because of COVID and this isn't exactly a pressure job.

I'm not a MK fan so far, but if he extended him without any financial consequence(as some have said) then MK recognized his bad hire. He did what he could do to help Scott with the appearance he would be around for recruits and for OC\DC hires.