• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The more I see, the more I like the hire of Coach Golesh

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

3 minutes ago, fbdo79 said:

My thought was more along the lines of a defensive assistant that has been in the Saban/Kirby Smart lineage. My concern with Orlando is more from the standpoint that most of his defenses have been 50-75 ranked kind of defenses and that is with programs more talented than us and with more resources/recruiting edge than us. So knowing how bad our defense is is what makes me apprehensive about Orlando. As weak of an argument as it may sound. 

I should add that they actually average out to 53rd and that is with a massive outlier in his one year at USC. Excluding the outlier, he has averaged a 45th ranked scoring defense, which I think we would fawn over if we could ever achieve again at USF. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Tidbits from the daily stampede reviewing the hire:

• USF interviewed defensive coordinators to get an idea on Golesh's offense. They we're saying there is nothing extra time can do to prepare for that offense. It spreads the defense so wide there were only 5 different plays they were able to call to defend it, otherwise it was a broken coverage. This also is an issue with scrambling QB's and fast RB's as it forces the defense to leave open a ton of space around the pocket. Sounds perfect for Gerry/Byrum and Battie

• They also we're talking about Jeff Scott hiring a bunch of guys to his staff with no on field coaching experience before (Bowers specifically). And how that could have been something that doomed him, as your position coaches are typically who are most responsible for developing players. So Golesh hiring 2 really experienced guys on the defensive staff raises the floor quite a bit.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, fbdo79 said:

My thought was more along the lines of a defensive assistant that has been in the Saban/Kirby Smart lineage. My concern with Orlando is more from the standpoint that most of his defenses have been 50-75 ranked kind of defenses and that is with programs more talented than us and with more resources/recruiting edge than us. So knowing how bad our defense is is what makes me apprehensive about Orlando. As weak of an argument as it may sound. 

Also probably against better competition?

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

Coach Golesh just keeps on impressing me. I’ve not been this excited in a while. His interview on Jim Rome was great.

This guy has a swagger and confidence that I’ve not seen around here. It’s not BS. He seems incredibly prepared and ready for this challenge.

I love that he has a pulse on USF football history. He mentioned Jim Leavitt by name and acknowledged his importance in the program’s history.

We may finally have the guy to get us back on track.

GO BULLS!!!

• Like 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I'll be the sourpuss on this one.  

None of the talk impresses me at all.  Not the Russia stuff, not "the plan", not outworking the country or having the best coaching staff in the nation.  Like Scott, these guys know how to talk.  The real question is do they know how to coach and conduct all the activities and functions that lead to success.  

The mystery continues for me....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

One thing I've noticed on this board in general...

The reaction to this hire is so much more cautionary that the previous hire.  Does anyone else get that vibe?  When CJS was hired, the vibe on TBP was almost all positive and rah-rah about the future.  He came in and said all the right coach stuff and did all the public speaking stuff.  He even brought in a slogan on day 1 (United from Start 2 Finish), and people cheered and ate it up.  I remember it because I was totally skeptical of the dude.

Now I see a much more cautionary vibe and a "let's see what he does on the field" attitude (which I think is healthy and good).  I think it is a result of having been so brutally burned by the last guy.  We are like on the rebound now and we trust nobody.  I think this is good.  With that being said, I already like this hire way better than what we had.  I prefer somebody who doesn't try to impress with slogans and speeches, but just rolls up his sleeves and gets to work.  I'm confident that the results will be better than what we have been seeing.  I think we will notice it early in the season, and it won't be a fluke.  I hope I'm right.  

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Days Won:  0

23 minutes ago, Brad said:

None of the talk impresses me at all.  Not the Russia stuff, not "the plan", not outworking the country or having the best coaching staff in the nation.  Like Scott, these guys know how to talk.  The real question is do they know how to coach and conduct all the activities and functions that lead to success.  

Where we are as a program currently, there's not much else he can say.  It's going to be tough trying to convince recruits that he is building something here that will be successful.  We do have some building blocks in place with a great QB and RB.  It will be interesting to see if he can have success plugging in 2 and 3 star guys into his offensive system instead of what he had at Tennessee.  From the radio interview, it sounds like he has been planning this for over 2 years and micro-managed hours, days, weeks for what he needs to do to be successful as a coach.  Who knows if it will work, but it sounds like a better plan than Scott had when he came in.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

I guess like Scott I always like that they at least say the right things and seem passionate about it.  Of course the win column is all that will end up mattering.  The good news is I still think all we need to get real hype is an upward trend.  

My buzz was killed once we hired the DC and these random people.  I know people made a case otherwise and it makes sense.  I am hoping it works out though.

• Crying 1

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  540
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

One thing I've noticed on this board in general...

The reaction to this hire is so much more cautionary that the previous hire. 

I agree that CJS caused some of this but think about all of our last coaches, they all had different backgrounds. This current one has an almost identical football background to our CJS who failed so much we fired him with multiple years on his contract. We can say there are intangible things that are different but football wise, it's currently the same.

Then there are these pieces:

1. VPMK says we are looking for a coach with HC experience and Florida recruiting ties. Then he hires someone's with no HC experience and limited Florida recruiting. 

2. Goach then says he is getting the best DC in the country and hires a middle of the road DC on a team that just got their HC fired.

3. Much of the new staff are also very new to their jobs/GAs.

I'm sure everyone will work out fine and we will win a ton of games but if we had hired like VPMK said, hired a stronger DC, and filled the staff with more experienced people, I bet the skepticism would be lessened.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

1 minute ago, thekidnapper said:

I'm sure everyone will work out fine and we will win a ton of games but if we had hired like VPMK said, hired a stronger DC, and filled the staff with more experienced people, I bet the skepticism would be lessened.

Yep - It is what it is.  The HC at least has a more diverse background than Scott to actually apply experience from various stops.  I understand the philosophy at least.  There's no reason why it wouldn't work, but we are probably all a little shellshocked because some things feel the same even though they aren't.