• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

VPMK comments on coaching search

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

8 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

People wonder why I think Jim Leavitt would be enjoying retirement:

image.png.e2f1b3c15094efacd3af45b289e6241e.png

Incorrect on so many levels.  Yes, he’s MG.  Do CJL’s actions match Grothe’s assumptions? No. My contact is far closer to JL than Grothe, who never spoke in defense or support of his coach that I can recall. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

54 minutes ago, Brad said:

How about it’s an evidence based position that CJL would win at this level and the defense will be able to defend.  

Not a girlfriend, wife or party girl, just a clear recollection of what works at USF. No guesses, no misplaced hope.  Just simple common sense.  Kind of like being around an old friend, you know it’s going to be a great time.  

It's what worked at USF 13-25 years ago and USF, and the world of college football, is not in the same position it was back then ..... and if that's the main reason for wanting him back, that what he did worked way back then so it will work now, I'm just not completely sold on that reasoning ...... but if we don't get Deion, I hope gets the chance to prove me wrong.

• Upvote 1

It’s not just that it was 12 years ago, but it is more proof than many candidates present.  If you’re going to eliminate coaches because of the portal and NIL changes, you can.  Outside of that, football is football and CJL has not been unconscious the last 12 years.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

It’s not just that it was 12 years ago, but it is more proof than many candidates present.  If you’re going to eliminate coaches because of the portal and NIL changes, you can.  Outside of that, football is football and CJL has not been unconscious the last 12 years.  

Has nothing to do with the X's and O's, no problems there. It is about the Jimmies and Joes and the things you mentioned and additionally, some of the things he could sell USF on back then aren't there any longer ....... his best selling point still around is playing in a fairly state of the art NFL stadium. :shade:

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

9 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

This raises a few questions:

1. How do you know these schools don't care about winning?

2. How do you know that USF what category USF falls into?

3. How do you define winning? 

4. Where do Utah, NC State, Oklahoma State fall into your categories?

1) It tends to be obvious based on their decision-making in response to results over time. For example.... Air Force clearly has more important priorities than how many times it ends the season ranked. Middle Tennessee State hasn't had more than 8 wins since 2009. They may like to see when their teams win, but the schools clearly don't fire their coaches based on win totals.

2) USF does a ton of things that make it clear they want to win. They want to do things the right ways, which means the same types of shortcuts and questionable behind-scenes activities which have paid off for the school up the street are not USF's style. There have been examples over the years of actions that really make us wonder, like doubling down on remaining in the BE/American when other schools looked to bolt. Doug Woolard just wanted to cash out for retirement and avoid rocking the boat and clearly missed many opportunities for USF's advancement, like the absolutely uninspiring delegation sent to the B12. But I don't think those reflect the institution's lack of interest in winning. Firing Holtz, Strong, and CJS after 3 seasons of poor records alone should set USF apart from the Middle Tennessee States.

3) However I define winning isn't important; I would offer that the success of the program is viewed through the eyes of all the stakeholders of a University's Athletics Department. Whether it is acceptable for that institution depends on the opinions of all stakeholders involved. Which is why different expectations for winning exist at different institutions. 

4) Utah - consistent winner. In the past 18 years, Utah has had double digit wins in 8 of them, and 4 more seasons had 9 wins. There's a single 3 win season, two 5 win seasons, and that's 15/18 seasons of bowl eligibility. That would be considered highly successful for most program.

Oklahoma State - consistent enough winner. Since 2006, they have had 7 double digit win seasons. They have gone to a bowl game every single season. They average 9 wins a season. Again, most schools wish they could have that level of consistent success.

NC State - great example of a program which doesn't need national championships and 10 win seasons to define them. Their fans have loved their successes, but their administration has been happy with playing in bowl games for half their seasons and having mediocre results for a very long time. Contrast that with schools that fire a coach 3 years or less for on-field results which don't match their expectations. NC State's expectations are demonstrated by their actions.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Has nothing to do with the X's and O's, no problems there. It is about the Jimmies and Joes and the things you mentioned and additionally, some of the things he could sell USF on back then aren't there any longer ....... his best selling point still around is playing in a fairly state of the art NFL stadium. :shade:

So he can’t sell the IPF and OCS or the NIL?  He can’t sell USF and Tampa anymore?  Things must have really changed down there. 

I guess we’d have to rely on his proven track record of developing players.  Darn. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

So he can’t sell the IPF and OCS or the NIL?  He can’t sell USF and Tampa anymore?  Things must have really changed down there. 

I guess we’d have to rely on his proven track record of developing players.  Darn. 

You gotta get them here to develop them ....... and I guess I'm the one being overly cynical now about how he'd handle recruiting and how players/parents would handle him. Leach overcame the hurdle, although a better track record before his demise, and maybe CJL could too. We're just so long away from him being a head coach but If he gets an interview, hope he wows them.

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,885
  • Days Won:  67

I love CJL but you can’t ever go home again, he is old, window is shut.  Why we continue to debate this when it had no chance of ever happening is baffling.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,382
  • Days Won:  10

14 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I love CJL but you can’t ever go home again, he is old, window is shut.  Why we continue to debate this when it had no chance of ever happening is baffling.

For the same reason I bought a lottery ticket.  Until I lose, I am a millionaire (at least in my mind).  It's only a bunch of fans dreaming out loud.  It can be annoying to some, but it will be over soon and then we can start to tear down the new coach.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

42 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

65 is not old lol. It is not the age it is the fight in the spirit. Bowden kept coaching. Leyland kept coaching. Paterno kept coaching. Bobby Knight kept coaching. Holtz kept coaching. Age is only an excuse