• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

VPMK comments on coaching search

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

46 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I just don't think this is the same as the girlfriend or crush metaphor that everyone keeps using.

Yeah, I'm not feeling that either. This was a lot more serious relationship than girlfriend or crush ... trying like heck to think of a more relevant comparison.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Good coach/good fan?

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Good coach/good fan?

Good grief.

• Haha 1

#stophate

#biteme

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Yeah, I'm not feeling that either. This was a lot more serious relationship than girlfriend or crush ... trying like heck to think of a more relevant comparison.

How about it’s an evidence based position that CJL would win at this level and the defense will be able to defend.  

Not a girlfriend, wife or party girl, just a clear recollection of what works at USF. No guesses, no misplaced hope.  Just simple common sense.  Kind of like being around an old friend, you know it’s going to be a great time.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

13 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

They are definitely more rare, but they are absolutely not over.  Spurrier had 12 seasons at Florida and 11 seasons at South Carolina -- there are active coaches with longer tenures than that.  Leavitt had 13 seasons.  Even in the 80s and 90s, Frank Beamer and Bobby Bowden were rarities.

The coaches with the longest tenures:

• Mark Stoops - 10 seasons at Kentucky and just signed a contract extension through 2030.
  • Dave Doeren - 10 seasons at NC State and while he gets rumored from time to time, he's unlikely to go anywhere
  • David Shaw - 11 seasons at Stanford
  • Dabo Swinney - 13 seasons at Clemson (waiting for Saban to retire?)
  • Pat Fitzgerald - 16 seasons at Northwestern, and unlikely to be fired this season despite winning only one game
  • Nick Saban - 16 seasons at Alabama, where he landed after deciding the NFL was not for him
  • Trou Calhoun - 16 seasons at Air Force
  • Mike Gundy - 17 seasons at Oklahoma State
  • Rick Stockstill - 17 seasons at Middle Tennessee State
  • Kyle Whittingham - 18 seasons at Utah
  • Kirk Fereentz - 23 seasons at Iowa

There are 17 more coaches who have been with their teams since 2016 (including Harbaugh, as you noted).

That's 28 coaches that have been with their current teams for 6 years or more ... more than one in five teams. 

IMHO, it is not unreasonable to hope for a coach to stay here for 5-7 years . . . or more.

Yes, I agree. The key to my agreement is the sentence following the one you bolded:

"The only places keeping their coaches long-term either have the rare consistent winners, like Bama and Clemson, or don't actually care about winning much and are happy to field a team almost no matter the on-field product."

Every one of those coaching situations is either a rare, consistent winner, or the schools don't actually care that much about winning and are happy just to field a team (if the team wins sometimes they're happy but it's far from a necessity). Every. Single. One.

• Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

5 hours ago, Brad said:

It's kind of funny.  USF would have to apologize.  Instead of working with McMurphy they should have questioned the whole fiasco.  As many are only learning now, 12 years later, McMurphy had and still has a grudge with Leavitt - it goes way back and first blood was McMurphy being fired from the Tampa Tribune.  He went on a scorched earth offensive to enlist his locker room boys to help take Leavitt down.  It's all so bad.  Had USF not bought out Leavitt, the judge/jury would have found USF liable, not Jim Leavitt.  Most of the nattering know-nothings are just that.

This is truth.

Colby Erskin did not engineer the whole deal on his own. Joel was unfortunately at the center of something he didn't want to be, and didn't want to make it worse.

There was a murderous, grudge-bearing squirrel shaking down every tree for years until he found a nut. Then, the squirrel planted the ground with a truckload of prefabricated nuts and told the whole squirrel world about it.

Leavitt got the raw end of the deal. Judy was the wrong kind of president to have a jock-related controversy. The minute the former head of the FBI was contracted to investigate, it was very obvious that the purpose was to insulate university leadership from blame for what came after her job may be threatened.

I don't hold it against the university that it happened. But I do hold it against Brett McMurphy for being the worst example of an unscrupulous journalist engineering controversial flames and fanning them every way possible once they caught. In this case, it was 100% related to a personal grudge. I bet there were prior examples of his attempts to create controversy that the public just never heard about or got snuffed out before they took hold. What's crazy is that despite how far his career has fallen after his time in the spotlight (which by the way was his direct reward for his "coverage" aka bringing down Jim Leavitt and having a suspiciously deep amount of "insider knowledge"), he continues to denigrate USF every chance he gets. Why did he have to live in the same city as our school? Absolutely ruinous.

Edited by FazaUSF
Sp
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

People wonder why I think Jim Leavitt would be enjoying retirement:

image.png.e2f1b3c15094efacd3af45b289e6241e.png

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

29 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

Yes, I agree. The key to my agreement is the sentence following the one you bolded:

"The only places keeping their coaches long-term either have the rare consistent winners, like Bama and Clemson, or don't actually care about winning much and are happy to field a team almost no matter the on-field product."

Every one of those coaching situations is either a rare, consistent winner, or the schools don't actually care that much about winning and are happy just to field a team (if the team wins sometimes they're happy but it's far from a necessity). Every. Single. One.

This raises a few questions:

1. How do you know these schools don't care about winning?

2. How do you know that USF what category USF falls into?

3. How do you define winning? 

4. Where do Utah, NC State, Oklahoma State fall into your categories?

Edited by Jim Johnson