• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

VPMK comments on coaching search

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, Jim Johnson said:

Well, Holtz wasn't fired until after the last game of the year.  But yeah ... the "it's happening" stuff won't happen until next week.  Any current coach has work to do this weekend... and maybe the following weekend.  

USF is talking to dozens of people... some will be crossed off the list, new ones will be added.  It is looking like fewer P5 spots will be open than I had anticipated, which makes USF a but more appealing.

No need to obsessively refresh three different forums as well as Twitter just in case something happened in the last 20 minutes.  HA!

Yeah good point on the timing. I believe this is the first time in USF football history that they fired their coach in the middle of the regular season so it seems like a long time already lol. Basically we are just seeing tons of speculation and rumors thrown around which gets crazy lol

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  483
  • Days Won:  1

It's no where near the majority of members of this forum, let alone the overall fan base (which is estimated to be in the 400,000 range)... it's a handful (20? 30?) a few of whom post over and over on multiple threads.

There is a difference between being open to CJL returning (which includes me) and putting him at the top of the list (and he's not even on my list).  I would say the percentage open to him returning would be significantly higher than the percentage who want CJL above all others.

I have no idea how you can possibly calculate that...my vantage point sees intense support that is both nonstop and overwhelming and a very, very small percentage are against the Jim. I do think that the vast majority of us have given up hope for the rightful resurrection of CJL and, as a result, find ourselves fantasizing over extreme longshots like Deion Sanders and Lane Kiffin. I have no doubt that the Jim will likely return us to 8-9 win seasons at best. Many of us were clamoring for his dismissal because of frustration that 8-9 wins was not enough...those of us were emphatically wrong. 8-9 win seasons built the foundation of the USF fandom and we should have appreciated it further (a la TCU). Viva the Jim!

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,022
  • Days Won:  38

1 minute ago, mj796 said:

fantasizing over extreme longshots like Deion Sanders

That's the only name that is out there in the news.  That's why everyone is talking about it.  The same swirl was happening when Gruden was casually sitting courtside and having (allegedly) his agent put out feelers.

2 minutes ago, mj796 said:

I have no idea how you can possibly calculate that...my vantage point sees intense support that is both nonstop and overwhelming and a very, very small percentage are against the Jim. I do think that the vast majority of us have given up hope for the rightful resurrection of CJL and, as a result, find ourselves fantasizing over extreme longshots like Deion Sanders and Lane Kiffin. I have no doubt that the Jim will likely return us to 8-9 win seasons at best. Many of us were clamoring for his dismissal because of frustration that 8-9 wins was not enough...those of us were emphatically wrong. 8-9 win seasons built the foundation of the USF fandom and we should have appreciated it further (a la TCU). Viva the Jim!

I hope you are right. But unfortunately many on the board have no idea how much Leavitt put into this program. They only want to believe what they read and McMurph BS. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

Just now, Rocky Style said:

That's the only name that is out there in the news.  That's why everyone is talking about it.  The same swirl was happening when Gruden was casually sitting courtside and having (allegedly) his agent put out feelers.

Gruden is still out there and he DEFINITELY wants the job from what I am reading.  He knows the NFL is out of his reach right now... and he's not very good as a TV analyst.  He thinks coaching in college would be a way to rehabilitate his image... and he actually likes the "coaching" part, teaching players how to get better -- which is what he did with his QB academies.

1 minute ago, Bull Awakening said:

I hope you are right. But unfortunately many on the board have no idea how much Leavitt put into this program. They only want to believe what they read and McMurph BS. 

That has to be a very tiny percentage that actually still care about the McMurphy stuff.  The old fanbase would be very excited to have him back and new fans would only care if we win or lose.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

6 minutes ago, mj796 said:

"Given up hope" or maybe just "moved on with their lives"??

Jim Leavitt should absolutely be in the USF Athletics Hall of Fame.  Jim Leavitt should definitely have a statue with the OCS.  Jim Leavitt should be brought in to speak to the players.

Beyond that, let Jim enjoy his retirement.

Edited by Jim Johnson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

and he's not very good as a TV analyst.

That's for sure!

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  14

41 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Gruden is still out there and he DEFINITELY wants the job from what I am reading.  He knows the NFL is out of his reach right now... and he's not very good as a TV analyst.  He thinks coaching in college would be a way to rehabilitate his image... and he actually likes the "coaching" part, teaching players how to get better -- which is what he did with his QB academies.

This would be the first team meeting with Gruden.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

"Given up hope" or maybe just "moved on with their lives"??

Jim Leavitt should absolutely be in the USF Athletics Hall of Fame.  Jim Leavitt should definitely have a statue with the OCS.  Jim Leavitt should be brought in to speak to the players.

Beyond that, let Jim enjoy his retirement.

Lol I don’t think Jim Leavitt wants to stay retired. He said he misses coaching and hopefully maybe something will come up per his tweets. He loves Tampa Bay