• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

VPMK comments on coaching search

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,020
  • Days Won:  38

We are at the talking stage.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

44 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

We are at the talking stage.

And Deion can talk :) 

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

8 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

Would be happy with Deion, though of course it would be obvious he would be on lease from FSU and gone the first solid season. Would mean VPMK would need to maintain a running list of candidates for the inevitable moment he bounces.

This is our new reality, unfortunately. But if he leaves after a handful of years, it means he won a lot in a short time span while creating a lot of buzz due to his persona. Probably the best shot in the arm that the USF football program can get right now.

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

17 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

This is our new reality, unfortunately. But if he leaves after a handful of years, it means he won a lot in a short time span while creating a lot of buzz due to his persona. Probably the best shot in the arm that the USF football program can get right now.

All things considered, definitely  agree. The problem now, though, is if it doesn't happen, and CJL doesn't happen, the only real shot in the arm will be drug out and rest with on the field results ..... unless someone else comes in from left field.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

8 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

These days, very few jobs are kept for longer than 3-6 years. The days of Spurrier, Bowden, and Leavitt unfortunately are over. The only places keeping their coaches long-term either have the rare consistent winners, like Bama and Clemson, or don't actually care about winning much and are happy to field a team almost no matter the on-field product. How Michigan stayed patient I don't know but I'm sure this year they are happy that they did. Norvell doesn't look like a Saban, though I suppose he could prove me wrong, and I bet he will have a few seasons of downturn like every program does. When he does, I'm sure Deion hopes to be ready for consideration. 

They are definitely more rare, but they are absolutely not over.  Spurrier had 12 seasons at Florida and 11 seasons at South Carolina -- there are active coaches with longer tenures than that.  Leavitt had 13 seasons.  Even in the 80s and 90s, Frank Beamer and Bobby Bowden were rarities.

The coaches with the longest tenures:

• Mark Stoops - 10 seasons at Kentucky and just signed a contract extension through 2030.
  • Dave Doeren - 10 seasons at NC State and while he gets rumored from time to time, he's unlikely to go anywhere
  • David Shaw - 11 seasons at Stanford
  • Dabo Swinney - 13 seasons at Clemson (waiting for Saban to retire?)
  • Pat Fitzgerald - 16 seasons at Northwestern, and unlikely to be fired this season despite winning only one game
  • Nick Saban - 16 seasons at Alabama, where he landed after deciding the NFL was not for him
  • Trou Calhoun - 16 seasons at Air Force
  • Mike Gundy - 17 seasons at Oklahoma State
  • Rick Stockstill - 17 seasons at Middle Tennessee State
  • Kyle Whittingham - 18 seasons at Utah
  • Kirk Fereentz - 23 seasons at Iowa

There are 17 more coaches who have been with their teams since 2016 (including Harbaugh, as you noted).

That's 28 coaches that have been with their current teams for 6 years or more ... more than one in five teams. 

IMHO, it is not unreasonable to hope for a coach to stay here for 5-7 years . . . or more.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

48 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

This is our new reality, unfortunately

Agreed, but in truth, this has been our reality since CJL was fired. CJL was never going to leave because this was his creation, he built it out of nothing, it was his baby; after that, there was never going to be a coach so invested or dedicated to it. That was the moment we became a stepping stone coaching job. CSH would have left for Norte Dame, CWT would leave for FSU, and anyone else would ultimately jump to the next bigger job. The only thing we had going for us, was being in the BCS conference; it would help us retain our coach until one of the destination schools came calling (OSU, Mich, USC, Texas, Bama, etc.). Now we only get a few years til they jump to a P5 on their way to a destination school. I think that’s another reason being a part of the next expansion is so critical; to get out of this middle step and becoming a place they can stay until that “can’t say no” job comes calling, it will get us more stability for coaching tenure. 

Edited by michibull

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, FazaUSF said:

These days, very few jobs are kept for longer than 3-6 years. The days of Spurrier, Bowden, and Leavitt unfortunately are over. The only places keeping their coaches long-term either have the rare consistent winners, like Bama and Clemson, or don't actually care about winning much and are happy to field a team almost no matter the on-field product. How Michigan stayed patient I don't know but I'm sure this year they are happy that they did. Norvell doesn't look like a Saban, though I suppose he could prove me wrong, and I bet he will have a few seasons of downturn like every program does. When he does, I'm sure Deion hopes to be ready for consideration. 

I am totally good with this. I used to be "We need a USF guy who wants to be long-term." but if Deion turns us around and leaves us in "prime" condition - then that's what we all want.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

4 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

If we get Prime Time i will be so horney.

It is looking more that way. 12/5 coming up strong……

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

32 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

They are definitely more rare, but they are absolutely not over.  Spurrier had 12 seasons at Florida and 11 seasons at South Carolina -- there are active coaches with longer tenures than that.  Leavitt had 13 seasons.  Even in the 80s and 90s, Frank Beamer and Bobby Bowden were rarities.

The coaches with the longest tenures:

• Mark Stoops - 10 seasons at Kentucky and just signed a contract extension through 2030.
  • Dave Doeren - 10 seasons at NC State and while he gets rumored from time to time, he's unlikely to go anywhere
  • David Shaw - 11 seasons at Stanford
  • Dabo Swinney - 13 seasons at Clemson (waiting for Saban to retire?)
  • Pat Fitzgerald - 16 seasons at Northwestern, and unlikely to be fired this season despite winning only one game
  • Nick Saban - 16 seasons at Alabama, where he landed after deciding the NFL was not for him
  • Trou Calhoun - 16 seasons at Air Force
  • Mike Gundy - 17 seasons at Oklahoma State
  • Rick Stockstill - 17 seasons at Middle Tennessee State
  • Kyle Whittingham - 18 seasons at Utah
  • Kirk Fereentz - 23 seasons at Iowa

There are 17 more coaches who have been with their teams since 2016 (including Harbaugh, as you noted).

That's 28 coaches that have been with their current teams for 6 years or more ... more than one in five teams. 

IMHO, it is not unreasonable to hope for a coach to stay here for 5-7 years . . . or more.

I think we can hope, JIm, but there's one glaring thing that sticks out about your list. 11 names ... 1 service academy (Navy, 15 years, should be on there) ... 1 G5 ... 9 P5.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

Funny how many are saying USF’s new reality is for coaches to use us as a stepping stone to jump to bigger opportunities. Who cares?? Not many programs avoid the same issues. Also in case people didn’t realize, USF was always a stepping stone for coaches the day Leavitt got fired. It would not matter if USF was still in the Big East as part of a power conference. With all that said. There has only been one coach that left USF for bigger opportunities. And how did that end up working out for that coach? Ended up with a losing overall record and no bowl wins while stuck coaching in C-USA.

• Upvote 1