• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

VPMK comments on coaching search

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

19 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

The hire he made in CJS was well-informed and got rave reviews; it just didn't work out. There is always that risk.

This is the scary part about hiring and thinking we can piece together 3-4 good coaches in a row.  Ha!  Even some of the tinmen are pissed with the third in their trilogy

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

20 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

We do have that. Everyone needs to stop the hyperbole regarding VPMK. The man is a true credit to the university. We are VERY lucky to have him. The hire he made in CJS was well-informed and got rave reviews; it just didn't work out. There is always that risk. Sure, we wish we had the string of successful hires the school up the street has had, but the level of risk was the same for all the hires.

Unwarranted extensions to awful coaches?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

I don't get the hate for Kelly. It's not like he's one of the ADs who oversaw the steady decline of our football program over a decade. We were already in the gutter when he got here.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

2 minutes ago, OnTheBus said:

I don't get the hate for Kelly. It's not like he's one of the ADs who oversaw the steady decline of our football program over a decade. We were already in the gutter when he got here.

Well said. I’m hoping MK gets USF to the promise land. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

46 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

We do have that. Everyone needs to stop the hyperbole regarding VPMK. The man is a true credit to the university. We are VERY lucky to have him. The hire he made in CJS was well-informed and got rave reviews; it just didn't work out. There is always that risk. Sure, we wish we had the string of successful hires the school up the street has had, but the level of risk was the same for all the hires.

anyone with a pulse would have known he was not up to the challenge, he was a product of who you know and not what you know.  The good ole boys club runs deep, I know you fell for his line of bull and have a soft spot for him but stop rationalizing this terrible hire. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

51 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

anyone with a pulse would have known he was not up to the challenge, he was a product of who you know and not what you know.  The good ole boys club runs deep, I know you fell for his line of bull and have a soft spot for him but stop rationalizing this terrible hire. 

I can only imagine that you would benefit from a deeper understanding of all that goes on in the Athletics building. After gaining that wonderful knowledge, I really think you'll have a different opinion.

46 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

I can only imagine that you would benefit from a deeper understanding of all that goes on in the Athletics building. After gaining that wonderful knowledge, I really think you'll have a different opinion.

You get some first hand knowledge and valuable information as an Iron Bull, however that doesn’t mean any of the **** you are hearing is worth a ****.  CJS was an epic failure and plenty of us called that, coach speak is a dime a dozen but those that have not played become mesmerized by it, go figure.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

You get some first hand knowledge and valuable information as an Iron Bull, however that doesn’t mean any of the **** you are hearing is worth a ****.  CJS was an epic failure and plenty of us called that, coach speak is a dime a dozen but those that have not played become mesmerized by it, go figure.

I'll be the first to admit I thought CJS was the next Leavitt. Problem was he was great with the stuff off the field and then terrible with the X's and O's. I will still say he was a great dude and would have been an excellent long term coach IF he had been successful on the field. Problem was, he was all talk and no deliver. You were right about CJS.

But you're not right about VPMK.

1 hour ago, FazaUSF said:

I'll be the first to admit I thought CJS was the next Leavitt. Problem was he was great with the stuff off the field and then terrible with the X's and O's. I will still say he was a great dude and would have been an excellent long term coach IF he had been successful on the field. Problem was, he was all talk and no deliver. You were right about CJS.

But you're not right about VPMK.

I would be skinnier if I didn’t eat and drink so much, he would have been a great coach if he could actually coach? Sorry doc, makes no sense, I do like Mike but we are awful, not ready to throw the mick to the wolves but he has shown me nothing.

1 minute ago, Friscobull said:

I would be skinnier if I didn’t eat and drink so much, he would have been a great coach if he could actually coach? Sorry doc, makes no sense, I do like Mike but we are awful, not ready to throw the mick to the wolves but he has shown me nothing.

There is more to coaching than coaching. Ask the Athletics employees who tried to raise donations with CCS at the helm. He was absolutely terrible for it. You can hold it against me that I consider all of the intangibles important for a head football coach. They aren't the only aspects to the job, but they are important. Holtz had good intangibles but was bad at the X's and O's which is why he was deservedly let go. The same is true for CJS. On-field performance is important, but there are things above and beyond that which are important, too.

• Upvote 1