• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Orlando Bull said:

I'm sorry, do you not think that the people on this board can handle some "disappointment"... it's all we have known for years, we can handle it. But in all honesty, it shouldn't be a pipe dream. It makes perfect sense. If you want to get some donors and help fund a stadium, that is the play. Most likely it turns out in winning games, but there would be a retirement agreement in my plan with CJL if he can't get it back on track. A retirement plan that lets him go out with dignity and a place on the USF mantle.

Everything else is a crapshoot at best and a Jeff Scott level disaster at worst.

Agreed. Leavitt is the safe hire to help stabilize the program. I mean, to even get it back to .500 for a few years would do wonders. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  603
  • Content Count:  16,389
  • Days Won:  43

It is Leavitt’s love for USF football that does it for me. He was the loyal head coach with USF. Turned down Big Ten, Big12, SEC head coaching jobs to stay at USF. That is all I need to know. USF had better do whatever it takes to bring him back imo 

• Like 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,497
  • Days Won:  25

17 minutes ago, Brad said:

I think it's the right plan.  I thought MK would have picked up on that element three years ago.  Hopefully, we take a long approach on this and put together a plan to turbo-boost the present and connect to a plan for the future.  Leavitt gets more positives from fans on the Twitter than any USF Football coach, player or admin.  He's much loved and respected.  Not by everyone, but very many.  To deny this or neglect the opportunity (again) would be heartbreaking. 

I don't think your wrong but AD Mk got the guy he wanted all along and he just picked the wrong guy. The bad part was he extended , doubled down, and went all in on the guy. CJL would instantly bring back some life and excitement tot he program. CJL interim coach for the next two games would be a blessing but I think they already named the special team coach the interim coach.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,126
  • Days Won:  56

2 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I'm sorry, do you not think that the people on this board can handle some "disappointment"... it's all we have known for years, we can handle it. But in all honesty, it shouldn't be a pipe dream. It makes perfect sense. If you want to get some donors and help fund a stadium, that is the play. Most likely it turns out in winning games, but there would be a retirement agreement in my plan with CJL if he can't get it back on track. A retirement plan that lets him go out with dignity and a place on the USF mantle.

Everything else is a crapshoot at best and a Jeff Scott level disaster at worst.

All I’m saying is wishing it will happen won’t make it so. I’d welcome Jim’s return. It’s not happening. Better to focus your attention elsewhere. Can’t continue to live in the past and I have no confidence that rehiring Jim would be any guarantee of catching lightning in a bottle again. But continue to dream if you wish. If there is some miraculous healing and Jim comes back, I’ll be the first guy in line to welcome him. But I wouldn’t spend a whole lot of time thinking about it.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  467

Not against the idea, the program has never been the same (or as fun) since his dismissal ... but how many years do we think he has left in the tank? He was still in his early 50s when the poop went down. 

Given our coaching carousel it might not matter, I'd be happy for a string of a few good (or at least entertaining) years. Would be interesting if nothing else. 

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

And bring in former players currently coaching….Verpaele, mompremier, cedric hill, larry scott, marquel, , to name a few to be able to take over after 3-4 years

• Topic Count:  603
  • Content Count:  16,389
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, dausfbulls11 said:

And bring in former players currently coaching….Verpaele, mompremier, cedric hill, larry scott, marquel, , to name a few to be able to take over after 3-4 years

Yes I agree! They put so much into the program. Hopefully USF welcomes them back to help resurrect the program 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

Things we do know

1. No hire is a guarantee of success
  2. Pipe dreams likely include Deion Sanders coming here.

I'm all for being grounded in reality.  USF holds all the cards.  That's nice.  They can do with Leavitt whatever they want.  They don't have that option with Neon Deion or some of the other dream coaches.  And like Deion, here for a year and then a buyout and gone to greener pastures.  Wasteful.  We don't need that.  MK himself say we need continuity, consistency....there is a path to it.  His boss holds the key.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,126
  • Days Won:  56

2 minutes ago, dausfbulls11 said:

That hasn’t worked too well so far for volleyball, but OK. And didn’t do much at Nebraska with Frost, either. But who knows.

1 minute ago, Bull Awakening said:

Yes I agree! They put so much into the program. Hopefully USF welcomes them back to help resurrect the program 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  222

A week ago, I would have not have agreed to bringing CJL back.  However, given that the program is at an all-time low,  he needs to be brought back in some form. He would energize the fan base, get former fans interested again, and generate publicity.

I like the idea of him being a coach/coach emeritus, with an associate head coach/HC in waiting.  It seemed to work with Bobby Bowden and Jimbo.

Plan B could be to ask CJL to be an ambassador for the program. Spurrier does something similar for UF.  

These are critical times for a program that is at a juncture. Do we move forward and pursue P5 status? Or do we accept G5/FCS life? Time to do something special or different!

Go Bulls

• Upvote 2