• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fire Coach Scott

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, Brad said:

Hearing you say he made that comparison is the first I heard of it.  So for ***** and giggles, he made this comment last week?  Or when?  I know you're a stickler for these things, even while asking for a break on your toilet typing.  But if we can forgive you we can certianly demonize Scott.  

No he made it earlier in the season after getting routed by ECU or Louisville  and failed to live up to his comparison. It isn't my fault CJS is doing this bad of a job that he is paid really handsomely to do. I just don't see how anyone would want this guy  back after one fbs win in 2.75 seasons. The whole argument was we can afford to bet set back any further with a  new coach, but  do you think a new coach can do worse than 1 fbs win in 25 tries? 

Edited by Outlaw
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Posted on a different thread, but it belongs here as well:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some you will hate this because it's the Times. Some will hate it because it's Romano.  Some will hate it because of the position he is taking.

John Romano | There is no justifying a 4-25 record under Scott. The hope is that integrity and devotion succeed in the long run.

Really, the only selling point for Scott’s continued employment is the man himself. People gravitate toward Scott. His players have stayed out of trouble and have rallied around him. Boosters have put money into facilities for him. Co-workers genuinely like and trust him.

There are no whispers about his temper, his ethics, his loyalty. The irony is that if Scott were fired today, USF would be looking for a new coach with precisely the same qualities that once made him seem so attractive.

The article ends with "Either the program will take another step backward because a new coach wants to tear it up and start over, or a new coach will have modest success" (bc of Scott's foundation).

But that's such a false choice... I mean how do you go backward from 1 FBS/4 total wins in 3 years?  Statistically speaking, we've had just about the worst possible stretch; and the concern is someone might realistically manage to win fewer?

You have to be afraid of losing *something* else with Scott and I just don't think his big book of "How Clemson Does It" is that valuable of a blueprint.  (That may sound like a condescending dig at his Clemson roots but I re-read a Times article introducing Scott and he literally talked about a big book he brought that had all his lessons from how Clemson does things) 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

No he made it earlier in the season after getting routed by ECU or Louisville  and failed to live up to his comparison.

:roflmao:  Ok, he failed to live up to a copmparison that he had hoped to achieve.  Comparisons are made all the time, people don't get fired for comparisons, usually.  You want him gone. WE ALL KNOW THAT.  There are also reasons for him to be gone.  Something like this hardly is a firable offense.  Stick with the singular one real reason why.  It's been mentioned already by you 100+ times.  We get that and it makes more sense.  Carry on.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

59 minutes ago, Ghostbuster said:

... I mean how do you go backward from 1 FBS/4 total wins in 3 years?  Statistically speaking, we've had just about the worst possible stretch; and the concern is someone might realistically manage to win fewer? . . .

I am very confident in my ability to go 0-12 and I would do it for the paltry sum of only 250k 😁

• Haha 3

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

2 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

I am very confident in my ability to go 0-12 and I would do it for the paltry sum of only 250k 😁

That's a deal.  With that amount you could probably hire some really good assistants and be the figurehead / rah rah person.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, Ghostbuster said:

The article ends with "Either the program will take another step backward because a new coach wants to tear it up and start over, or a new coach will have modest success" (bc of Scott's foundation).

But that's such a false choice... I mean how do you go backward from 1 FBS/4 total wins in 3 years?  Statistically speaking, we've had just about the worst possible stretch; and the concern is someone might realistically manage to win fewer?

You have to be afraid of losing *something* else with Scott and I just don't think his big book of "How Clemson Does It" is that valuable of a blueprint.  (That may sound like a condescending dig at his Clemson roots but I re-read a Times article introducing Scott and he literally talked about a big book he brought that had all his lessons from how Clemson does things) 

Well... this line from the article is where it could go "backwards" ...

Perhaps you have bought into the incongruous notion that USF is on the upswing in almost every direction except for the scoreboard.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

15 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

That's a deal.  With that amount you could probably hire some really good assistants and be the figurehead / rah rah person.

Bringing in high paid assistants would really undermine my value proposition and quite possibly jeopardize my 0-12 guarantee 

You do bring up a good point about staff  however - I am thinking Outlaw for OC, as per his posts on TBP, he employs a consistent multi prong offensive strategy

You can certainly be my DC, while Puc will be special teams

I am sure that we can find jobs for the rest of the TBP regulars and still save USF money!

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

8 hours ago, bowman1 said:

Bringing in high paid assistants would really undermine my value proposition and quite possibly jeopardize my 0-12 guarantee 

You do bring up a good point about staff  however - I am thinking Outlaw for OC, as per his posts on TBP, he employs a consistent multi prong offensive strategy

You can certainly be my DC, while Puc will be special teams

I am sure that we can find jobs for the rest of the TBP regulars and still save USF money!

Makes sense, I’ve always been told that I am special 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

10 hours ago, bowman1 said:

I am thinking Outlaw for OC, as per his posts on TBP, he employs a consistent multi prong offensive strategy

Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

The worst thing that has happened to CJS - besides not winning - is the fact that USF football has proven in past examples that it doesn’t take an eternity to build a competitive team with our program if done right.

Regardless of those that say “we don’t have a winning culture,” CJL was able to build literary from nothing to a competitive BCS team - with no OCS, IPF, mass financial support, etc. - while only have two losing seasons in 13 years. CWT also came in to incredibly similar circumstances to CJS - a downward spiral of a once good team - to build a competitive double-digit win ranked football team through basically recruiting alone starting year 3. Had the examples of CJL and CWT never happened, then maybe the fanbase would be satisfied with being perpetual losers with no hope, but history has shown that is not the case. The football team under CJS, though he’s a nice guy, just seems like it has no hope. Did some fans in the prediction contest actually pick Temple to beat us? Worst of all, it might actually happen - year 3 into a coaching tenure. To think there isn’t a head coach in the lower levels willing to move to Tampa Bay and lead USF to moderate success the way CJS has shown he is unable to do is shortsighted. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2