• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fire Coach Scott

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Listening to the VHF frequency modulated audio signal originators, they brought up the point that every team (? really) in the American has cracked the top-25 at least once since (I forget how far back they went (was it 2014?) except USF.  My research shows that the highest USF reached was #21 in 2018 (Charlie Strong). USF has been the underdog 24 times, as of late, and has yet pulled an upset, again over the past x-number of years. Just because you're not favored to win, doesn't mean that the loss is necessarily acceptable to the fan base. Is there such a thing as living down to expectations? 

Point being that a failure to win a FBS game this season will make it almost impossible to warrant continuing with the experiment.  Just looking at history, the best chance for a win is Temple, then Tulsa, then SMU. I don't believe UCF is beatable by USF, and UCF doesn't want to be that guy who lost to USF. 

Edited by WoolyBully
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

11 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

I don't believe UCF is beatable by USF, and UCF doesn't want to be that guy who lost to USF. 

This saddens me.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

16 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Another HC learning on the job...I'd pass.

Morris while he was horrible at Arkansas did good at SMU at g5 level.

Eh, I'd say if we're tarmac-ing CJS in Philly, we're only looking at 3 more games. I feel like the offense has actually shown progress under Trickett and I'd give it a shot to see what he has in him 🤷‍♂️

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

We haven't been ranked in the college football playoff but there have been some suspect rankings keeping us out. In 2016 for example after the regular season we weren't ranked but Navy was 19th in the college football playoff.

Both teams were 10-2 in the same conference and we had a head to head win over Navy where we we're up 42-0 at one point.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

11 minutes ago, bulloni said:

We haven't been ranked in the college football playoff but there have been some suspect rankings keeping us out. In 2016 for example after the regular season we weren't ranked but Navy was 19th in the college football playoff.

Both teams were 10-2 in the same conference and we had a head to head win over Navy where we we're up 42-0 at one point.

I know the right thing to do was let the foot off the gas in that situation, but the way that one ended changed the narrative with the ones who only checked the scoreboard. They didn't see USF running Navy out of the building by halftime, just USF hanging on for a 1 possession win as time ran out.

If we had left the starters in until at least the 4th quarter and win by 3 scores or more, it probably wouldn't have taken us until after the regular season to crack the polls.

Edited by GoBulls84

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Posted on a different thread, but it belongs here as well:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some you will hate this because it's the Times. Some will hate it because it's Romano.  Some will hate it because of the position he is taking.

John Romano | There is no justifying a 4-25 record under Scott. The hope is that integrity and devotion succeed in the long run.

Really, the only selling point for Scott’s continued employment is the man himself. People gravitate toward Scott. His players have stayed out of trouble and have rallied around him. Boosters have put money into facilities for him. Co-workers genuinely like and trust him.

There are no whispers about his temper, his ethics, his loyalty. The irony is that if Scott were fired today, USF would be looking for a new coach with precisely the same qualities that once made him seem so attractive.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

52 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

The irony is that if Scott were fired today, USF would be looking for a new coach with precisely the same qualities that once made him seem so attractive.

My bet is he isn't so attractive right now. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

If CJS is able to turn around his fortunes into a winning head football coach, it might be the greatest turnaround in sports history, and Michael Kelly will seem like a genius. But just because someone is a nice guy, doesn't mean they're a good head coach. How does it go...'you are what your record says you are.'

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  540
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

There are no whispers about his temper, his ethics, his loyalty. 

I believe somewhere in this thread there are whispers of these exact things from alleged friends and family of players. But I think we all understand that is probably frustrated fans, donors, etc.

I genuinely think he is a great person and think he has a lot of great qualities. But can he identify our weaknesses and enact the changes we need? 🤷‍♂️

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

I think it's fair to say that just because someone is a good head coach, it doesn't mean they're a nice guy.  There's a saying about that...