• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hey CJS supporters…

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,035
  • Days Won:  469

OK I thought you were cheating on us reading other forums. I guess I understand your cheating heart.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,484
  • Days Won:  25

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

OK I thought you were cheating on us reading other forums. I guess I understand your cheating heart.  

There are no other decent bull forums.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

Was this bad? Yes... this is bad... but there's no reason to get totally worked up.  It's just the first game.

The team is not as good as we hoped (or perhaps led to believe).  This is not the end of the world ... at least not yet.

Watching the game the issues APPEAR TO BE correctable... defense getting caught out of position by the tempo and misdirection... offense missing blocks and dropping balls...

BYU made USF look like a Class A high school team... that doesn't necessarily mean USF is actually that bad... BYU may be that good (may be).

So ... Howard next week will not be a good gauge - USF should dominate...

Let's see if the coaching staff can correct these mistakes.

One game does not a season make ... or break.

Calm Down Chill Out GIF by Bounce

Most of this is reasonable. However, there are major red flags. They hyped up Matthew Hill all spring and said he was the MVP. He was absolutely terrible last year and he was just as bad the first quarter tonight. They did make the adjustment and don't think he saw the field after the first quarter tonight, but an average joe can tell that kid is not a starting FBS defender. I think 70+% of Bohanon's pass attempts tonight were 5 yards or closer to the line of scrimmage. With how much we've been told about Bohanon and his Grit score + the weapons we have (Horn/Weaver) we should be letting it rip. Didn't happen. If we beat an 0-2 FCS team easily, that won't tell us anything either. We need to hope BYU is a legit top 10 football team because if not it's going to be an incredibly long season again.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

WE heard about how much better this team is, how much deeper, how they are ready to compete, how the practices are so much harder now, the players work so much more, the transfers are so much better than the players they replaced, the oline is so experienced , the dline is much improved, the defensive backs are better, the line backers are ready to make plays, and ready to push around other teams, the passing attack is going to be so much better, the defense is going to be so much better, the players have no quit and really want to be here, and the new coordinators are going to improve the team. 

We heard about the fantastic GRIT scores!! 

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103

I have to say  its not the DL, its not the OL, not the secondary that is bad. 
Its the fact that on defense the calls were coming in right as BYU was snapping the ball. That is on the DC. And Scott hired the DC, this is on him. 
the offense was not creative at all. There was no use of our speed. Running plays were bland. Bohannon missed 4-5 wide open throws, he didnt see 4-5 other guys who were wide open.  This staff put their money on GB and right now, that looks like a bad bet. 

Someone in this thread said these things are correctable- and maybe they would be for another staff. This staff had the same correctable issues last year and it took until the ucf game to try to fix. 

Outside of Da Prato, Simms, and Mogridge, this staff is not good. The new hires have just laid a big fat turd at raymond james stadium. This is on CJS. 

I am sure we will hear about injuries in the next few days, but until there is some serious self reflection by the coaching staff, its going to be a long year. 

These players are good enough to win. This staff is not good enough to win. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,471
  • Days Won:  13

22 minutes ago, USFbulls24 said:

Most of this is reasonable. However, there are major red flags. They hyped up Matthew Hill all spring and said he was the MVP. He was absolutely terrible last year and he was just as bad the first quarter tonight. They did make the adjustment and don't think he saw the field after the first quarter tonight, but an average joe can tell that kid is not a starting FBS defender. I think 70+% of Bohanon's pass attempts tonight were 5 yards or closer to the line of scrimmage. With how much we've been told about Bohanon and his Grit score + the weapons we have (Horn/Weaver) we should be letting it rip. Didn't happen. If we beat an 0-2 FCS team easily, that won't tell us anything either. We neeMAtt d to hope BYU is a legit top 10 football team because if not it's going to be an incredibly long season again.

Hill might have gotten hurt, as Scott mentioned in the presser there were quite a few injuries tonight.  I didn't think he played that poorly, mostly because BYU was running or throwing to other WRs.

The offensive play calling was so conservative, I was reminded of Sterlin Gilbert far too many times.  I hope that changes later in the season.  It doesn't help when Horn undercuts a route that would have been a TD or when the WRs drop balls that hit them in the hands... or when Weaver fails to block a guy that gets a pick six.  All of that should be correctable in the next two weeks.

I don't expect a win in G'ville... but with some offensive and defensive corrections, it should at least be less than 30 points, hopefully less than 20.

5 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Hill might have gotten hurt, as Scott mentioned in the presser there were quite a few injuries tonight.  I didn't think he played that poorly, mostly because BYU was running or throwing to other WRs.

The offensive play calling was so conservative, I was reminded of Sterlin Gilbert far too many times.  I hope that changes later in the season.  It doesn't help when Horn undercuts a route that would have been a TD or when the WRs drop balls that hit them in the hands... or when Weaver fails to block a guy that gets a pick six.  All of that should be correctable in the next two weeks.

I don't expect a win in G'ville... but with some offensive and defensive corrections, it should at least be less than 30 points, hopefully less than 20.

Horn didn't undercut the route. Bohanon overthrew him from what I saw.

If you didn't see how badly Hlil played tonight then you weren't watching him. Three specific plays come to mind for me. First, on a run play he got himself stuck behind one of our defenders getting blocked by a BYU player. Took himself completely out of the play. Second, I saw him a few times get absolutely manhandled by WRs down the field blocking on run plays. One of the plays he went on a ride for about 15 yards and I couldn't tell if he just didn't try to shed the block or if he's just not capable. Third, he completely blew a coverage which led to their 4th TD of the game. The 21 yard pass was a blown coverage by him. He didn't touch the field again after that. I don't think it was injury, It was extremely obvious he should not be be starting on our defense after we've seen him the last season + out there.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Great. Mark Harlan takes an L.

He really did us a favor by leaving. I just pay my invoices and make my donations and was happy to be left alone.so I didn't know he was so unattended as he was.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,977
  • Days Won:  12

Does not sound like a man who is on top of things. And that's coming from a huge CJS fan up to this point.

I'm not seeing an FBS win until Oct 15, Tulane, and given that we got whalloped last year by then, I put that as generous.