• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hockey Playoffs

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,384
  • Days Won:  25

The lightning completely dominated that game. The refs gave the rangers one weak penalty on the second one where the goalie initiated the contract out the crease. Also they let the blatant check on hagel after the puck left 5 seconds earlier go from Miller and the elbow to the head from Trouba which should have been a 4 or 5 minute. It seems the refs tried to manage the game to keep the Rangers in it. The lightning just dominated possession and shot count. Their goalie likes to come out of his crease or on the top and imitate contact and the refs loved giving him powerplays. Cooper was right it was weak and the league needs to address it. You cant let flying elbows to the head go and call penalties when the goal comes out the crease where he isn't protected and initiates contact with a player.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 hours ago, Outlaw said:

The lightning completely dominated that game. The refs gave the rangers one weak penalty on the second one where the goalie initiated the contract out the crease. Also they let the blatant check on hagel after the puck left 5 seconds earlier go from Miller and the elbow to the head from Trouba which should have been a 4 or 5 minute. It seems the refs tried to manage the game to keep the Rangers in it. The lightning just dominated possession and shot count. Their goalie likes to come out of his crease or on the top and imitate contact and the refs loved giving him powerplays. Cooper was right it was weak and the league needs to address it. You cant let flying elbows to the head go and call penalties when the goal comes out the crease where he isn't protected and initiates contact with a player.

It’s funny what is in the eye of the beholder I saw just as many no calls for the Lightening. There were numerous tripping calls that were ignored and a roughing call that was completely ignored when the Rangers were on the power play. The third penalty on Truba was ticky tack. But hey, it’s the NHL playoffs and it happens all the time. GT protection was ramped up this season and you can bet that it will be called even tighter next game when both teams crash the net. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,576
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It’s funny what is in the eye of the beholder I saw just as many no calls for the Lightening. There were numerous tripping calls that were ignored and a roughing call that was completely ignored when the Rangers were on the power play. The third penalty on Truba was ticky tack. But hey, it’s the NHL playoffs and it happens all the time. GT protection was ramped up this season and you can bet that it will be called even tighter next game when both teams crash the net. 

The calls and no calls usually even out and I think they did yesterday but what I don't like is the Flopping and we all know who we're talking about. Igor's reminding me of Rodney Marsh during all these playoffs. No problem with the GI's called but there should have been at least one embellishment called in all those, especially Stammer's earlier in series and the yard sale imitation yesterday ....

52 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The calls and no calls usually even out and I think they did yesterday but what I don't like is the Flopping and we all know who we're talking about. Igor's reminding me of Rodney Marsh during all these playoffs. No problem with the GI's called but there should have been at least one embellishment called in all those, especially Stammer's earlier in series and the yard sale imitation yesterday ....

Not a fan of flopping either but both GT were getting hit throughout the game. These guys will create any advantage they can get. I have only seen one embellishment call all this year and it will never get called in the playoffs. But overall, I agree with your point that these things tend to even out during a series. This one will go at least six games so who knows what else we will see. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,384
  • Days Won:  25

The elbow to the head was a 5 under the new rules to protect players and it happened right in front of the ref. The problem with the calls with Gi is coming out od the crease and creating the contact. The players have every right to be at the top of the crease and when he comes out and makes contact that is on him. Perry's  penalty was a penalty because of the stick contact to the head but he flopped and sold that thing . The second penalty was bogus because GI came out and made contact with the player. Penalties aometimes even out but purposefully putting the whistle away with a blatant elbow to the head that is a 5 minute major that would have given TB a powerplay for the rest of the game was the ref trying to keep nyr in the game.

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Not a fan of flopping either but both GT were getting hit throughout the game. These guys will create any advantage they can get. I have only seen one embellishment call all this year and it will never get called in the playoffs.

Not sure how many were called in reg season but I only saw a couple and ironically didn't think either really were. Agree that doubt that any will be called but hopefully that performance by Igor yesterday has been noted and if anybody tries something as blatant as that going forward, an official will have the balls to call it ...... it was a mockery.

Just now, Triple B said:

Not sure how many were called in reg season but I only saw a couple and ironically didn't think either really were. Agree that doubt that any will be called but hopefully that performance by Igor yesterday has been noted and if anybody tries something as blatant as that going forward, an official will have the balls to call it ...... it was a mockery.

For sure, I also think we will get at least a few more of running into the GT Before the series is over. For the Rangers, Kreider has always been doing this and Tampa wants to throw Igor off his game as well. I don’t get upset one way or the other, both teams are doing whatever it takes to win. NHL hockey is a rough sport and at this level it’s every team for themselves. 

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

For sure, I also think we will get at least a few more of running into the GT Before the series is over. For the Rangers, Kreider has always been doing this and Tampa wants to throw Igor off his game as well. I don’t get upset one way or the other, both teams are doing whatever it takes to win. NHL hockey is a rough sport and at this level it’s every team for themselves. 

No problem with legit GI calls either and agree we may see more because of the way both goalies are playing, crowding the crease is going to be key. I think the one called against y'all last night was borderline and could have gone either way ..... but every time I think of bad GI calls, it brings the image of Point getting blatantly shoved into the Islander goalie 15 feet in front of the goal during last year's SC run and him getting called for it. One of the worst calls I've ever seen ....

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Triple B said:

No problem with legit GI calls either and agree we may see more because of the way both goalies are playing, crowding the crease is going to be key. I think the one called against y'all last night was borderline and could have gone either way ..... but every time I think of bad GI calls, it brings the image of Point getting blatantly shoved into the Islander goalie 15 feet in front of the goal during last year's SC run and him getting called for it. One of the worst calls I've ever seen ....

Yeah I remember that…terrible call. NHL hockey has to be the hardest sport to officiate because of the speed and everything going on simultaneously, but it also has terrible refereeing at times. Some of those guys wilt under under the  big playoff stage. I see it every stinking year. That being said, I really kind of roll my eyes when a homer says they lost the game because of officiating. Like you said, it all seems to even out at some point and like I said the homer never sees the bad calls (or no calls) on the other side 

Not even bothering watching the 3rd period. This one is over and I suspect the series is as well. You guys finally got rolling and I don’t think there is no stopping at this point. The experience and toughness difference is telling. Even if the Rangers get a game five win I am not convinced they could close you guys out. We had nice comebacks against the Pens and Canes but it’s apparent the Lightening are at a different level. 

• Upvote 1