• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hockey Playoffs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

That’s one thing I can recall from the past two runs. The PP wasn’t always running at a great clip but it seemed to always make the other team pay for really dumb penalties. Here’s to Trouba not learning his lesson yet. 

One thing we screwed up was not giving Gerard a chance at revenge on the team that made the idiot move of firing him a little over 2 years into his stint as head coach. Always have a soft spot for those early early Bolts players …… but he’s dead to me for the next 12 days or so. 

Conversely, the Lightening will want to keep the Rangers off the power play. We are #4 in the NHL during the regular season and have looked good in the playoffs. Fox on the point is the QB with Panarin making passes to Zibanejad who can one time it with Kreider looking for rebounds. However, there is a big drop off with the second unit as it comprises what we call our “kid line” (the oldest player is 22 years old). In terms of old Rangers, the Canes had four of them. I believe the only one left on Tampa is McDonach who, like you, is dead to me…but all the time. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  423

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Conversely, the Lightening will want to keep the Rangers off the power play. We are #4 in the NHL during the regular season and have looked good in the playoffs. Fox on the point is the QB with Panarin making passes to Zibanejad who can one time it with Kreider looking for rebounds. However, there is a big drop off with the second unit as it comprises what we call our “kid line” (the oldest player is 22 years old). In terms of old Rangers, the Canes had four of them. I believe the only one left on Tampa is McDonach who, like you, is dead to me…but all the time. 

A few ex-Rangers have definitely come through leading up to the SC runs ... Callahan, Stralman, Girardi, Miller. Shattenkirk was great in the first one, but I don't think we win back to back without McDonagh.

24 minutes ago, Triple B said:

A few ex-Rangers have definitely come through leading up to the SC runs ... Callahan, Stralman, Girardi, Miller. Shattenkirk was great in the first one, but I don't think we win back to back without McDonagh.

I believe you guys also had Brian Boyle for a time as well. McDonagh is a stud and Ranger fans still love the dude (my comments non withstanding). He is still referred as “Mr. Captain” by some and is still the last captain the team ever had (we use four alternates now). He was part of our cup run against LA about 6 years ago and almost everyone was happy when he won one with you guys. His last gasp with the Rangers was when Tampa beat us in game seven of the conference finals. The next year he was part of the housecleaning the team decided to take. I am pretty certain that Goodrow is the first significant player the Rangers have acquired from the Lightning. It’s been what’s feels like a long rebuild for the Rangers. It’s been fun to finally be relevant again (not to mention beating the Penguins). 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,312
  • Days Won:  25

50 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I believe you guys also had Brian Boyle for a time as well. McDonagh is a stud and Ranger fans still love the dude (my comments non withstanding). He is still referred as “Mr. Captain” by some and is still the last captain the team ever had (we use four alternates now). He was part of our cup run against LA about 6 years ago and almost everyone was happy when he won one with you guys. His last gasp with the Rangers was when Tampa beat us in game seven of the conference finals. The next year he was part of the housecleaning the team decided to take. I am pretty certain that Goodrow is the first significant player the Rangers have acquired from the Lightning. It’s been what’s feels like a long rebuild for the Rangers. It’s been fun to finally be relevant again (not to mention beating the Penguins). 

I think a lot of those picks you drafted some core players with:P Hjacek is also a guy we traded to you and he is a top 6 d on your team. Goodrow is going to tell them all about our system and that could backfire for us.

17 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think a lot of those picks you drafted some core players with:P Hjacek is also a guy we traded to you and he is a top 6 d on your team. Goodrow is going to tell them all about our system and that could backfire for us.

We actually did well with a trade right before then with Rick Nash to Bruins as well. I don’t think there is much Goodrow can share, hockey is not like football with trade secrets and we played each other three times this year. Plus, playoff hockey as you know is just different. It’s a brutal man versus man. By far and away the most difficult trophy to win in all of sports. The fact that the Lightening is going for a third straight in today’s NHL is pretty incredible. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,312
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

We actually did well with a trade right before then with Rick Nash to Bruins as well. I don’t think there is much Goodrow can share, hockey is not like football with trade secrets and we played each other three times this year. Plus, playoff hockey as you know is just different. It’s a brutal man versus man. By far and away the most difficult trophy to win in all of sports. The fact that the Lightening is going for a third straight in today’s NHL is pretty incredible. 

Speaks volumes of the coaching, drafting, and development of the players within the system. Stamkos and Hedman were high picks but all the other studs  were lesser known products that were developed such as Kucherov,Palat, Kilhorn, Point, Johnson( before he was traded),Gourde, and Big Cat. Yzerman and JBb made great trades getting players to fit the team in Mcd, Cernak, Sergachev, Goodrow, Coleman, Belly, Maroon, Perry etc...

Edited by Outlaw

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

****, forgot about Boyle. He's been with so many teams since he left, kind of fell through the cracks. Definitely a fan favorite here and kinda thought he may end back here at some point. I actually thought Howden may have turned out good for you guys but guess it wasn't to be ....... but as far as the "first significant player" from us, I know he wasn't there long but a little over achiever that wore #26 should warrant "significant" status.

22 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Speaks volumes of the coaching, drafting, and development of the players within the system. Stamkos and Hedman were high picks but all the other studs  were lesser known products that were developed such as Kucherov,Palat, Kilhorn, Point, Johnson( before he was traded),Gourde, and Big Cat. Yzerman and JBb made great trades getting players to fit the team in Mcd, Cernak, Sergachev, Goodrow, Coleman, Belly, Maroon, Perry etc...

The key for longevity in the NHL is keep your core. Pitt has done that well with their big 3 and the Bruins have followed the same philosophy. I think the key is identifying the right core. Tampa has done that and I believe the Rangers have done that as well but it’s too early to tell with them (the core has been identified as Panarin, Zek, Fox and Krieder). Of course what Tampa has done is added the right mix of role players which some teams don’t do correctly. The Rangers have Goodrow, Lafreniere, and Trouba to complement the three skill guys. I really love Kiandre Miller who was drafted a few years ago. He is huge with a great defensive stick. Of course we have not talked about GT, as Vasilevskiy is a beast (size and skill). I think he will probably be the difference for you guys. We have only gone against backups in this playoffs. At the same time Igor will make his share of great saves in this series. Igor should win the Vezina this year.

52 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think any good opposing coaching staff can tell what the "system" is. Executing a game plan well enough to beat that system 4 out of 7 games has what's been eluding the opposition. Hopefully that continues for another 3 weeks or so ...

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

****, forgot about Boyle. He's been with so many teams since he left, kind of fell through the cracks. Definitely a fan favorite here and kinda thought he may end back here at some point. I actually thought Howden may have turned out good for you guys but guess it wasn't to be ....... but as far as the "first significant player" from us, I know he wasn't there long but a little over achiever that wore #26 should warrant "significant" status.

Agreed Howden had his moments but for whatever reason it did not work out. We have pretty good depth at center though. I believe he was part of the Miller McDonagh trade. The Rangers got a draft pick from Vegas for him which we will use this year. Yeah Boyle has really bounced around. I was actually surprised to see him in a Pens sweater, but he seems to keep finding $.