• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFN - AAC Predictions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

17 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

For a team, program, and coach that are as terrible as you view them to be, I would say being in the 40th percentile would be outperforming your expectations, no? 

No he just had more than most programs that choose to build in a more traditional manner, like he said he intended to do as well. His overall recruiting for factoring for everything would be 76 which is more than the sum of all P5, all aac and all c-usa. That’s below average, not better than CCS and no reason to expect it to change the tides of anything. 

18 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

It does stand to scrutiny, you just don't want to hear it because you have a different opinion. I will say that you have an exceptional grasp on utilization of the straw man fallacy. 

So what is one thing that you think he has exceptionally harder? You don’t even have to explain it but I will help make it clearer for you, when CJS says he was a bad leader with a bad plan and was responsible for some of his year 1 woes, do you believe him? When he fires the person he hired to lead his defense after two years of the same problems that held him back does he play any part in having made that hire and how can he make those judgments on the dc when there was so many things they obviously have no control of and these years didn’t count? When he says that he should be able to compete this year and doesn’t want to cap us at 6 wins is that something that should be expected or should we revisit the excuses of the past 2 years? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,408
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

If we were making a binary plus/minus tally board he would be on the minus side with whatever you believe is holding him back more than any other coach we have had or any other coach that is currently coaching. He isn’t uniquely challenged and the only reason anyone pretends that he is has more to do with his results and how he handled the challenges than it does with the actual challenges themselves, almost as if he is the challenge.

I would love to see this chart. Lets hope he does the impossible and turns his coaching career around is never a good strategy.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Lets hope he does the impossible and turns his coaching career around is never a good strategy.

Like crossing your fingers and saying the baseball team won the tourney last year for a bid, so we'll bank on that this year? Don't worry about the glaring holes or record. We went to a regional last year with a .500 record, we'll just do that again this year.

54 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Like crossing your fingers and saying the baseball team won the tourney last year for a bid, so we'll bank on that this year? Don't worry about the glaring holes or record. We went to a regional last year with a .500 record, we'll just do that again this year.

‘Tis better to have won and lost. Than never to have won at all.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

4 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Lets hope he does the impossible and turns his coaching career around is never a good strategy.

But, good or not, at this point in time it's the only "strategy" we have, right?

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

15 hours ago, puc86 said:

So what is one thing that you think he has exceptionally harder? You don’t even have to explain it but I will help make it clearer for you, when CJS says he was a bad leader with a bad plan and was responsible for some of his year 1 woes, do you believe him? When he fires the person he hired to lead his defense after two years of the same problems that held him back does he play any part in having made that hire and how can he make those judgments on the dc when there was so many things they obviously have no control of and these years didn’t count? When he says that he should be able to compete this year and doesn’t want to cap us at 6 wins is that something that should be expected or should we revisit the excuses of the past 2 years? 

Again, you are contorting my overall point. Being a first time head coach with a new staff and losing out on Spring practice, where a coach gets to install his offense and learn about his players, is a tremendous loss. I am not suggesting that CJS was alone in facing this challenge, but the lack of experience as a HC coupled with the unprecedented effects of a global pandemic certainly created a substantial deficit to overcome out of the gates. In the summer, the team was limited in how they could practice and who could practice. Again, for a new HC who was not able to install his offense and defense with players he was not familiar with, the impact was more punitive than an established head coach or even one with a few years of HC experience. During the season, a team with limited depth, limited practice, and a brand new coaching staff was forced to have players constantly missing practice and games. How can you say that he had a fair shake in 2020? Anyone arguing that he was positioned the same as every other head coach in America is refusing to acknowledge reality. This isn't a matter of opinion, it is absolute fact.

To your point above, of course CJS has accountability in his decision making and coaching, and of course as a leader of men he will take accountability for his shortcomings. But what do you really expect a head coach to say? You want him to publicly acknowledge that 6 wins is likely the ceiling for this team? Of course he won't do that, but anyone looking at our schedule knows that is probably the case. Using coach-speak to try and prove your point is a major stretch, but you know that. I would never argue that CJS has done a stellar job at USF thus far. I will continue to argue that he was forced to coach his first season from such a tremendous deficit that I will give him a pass for 2020. I am looking for sustained improvement and consistency in 2022. If this team fails to win 4+ games, then I will sour on CJS. To me, the goal for the season is 6-6. 5-7 would be acceptable. 4-8 is the minimum. 2023 is make or break for CJS. The OOC schedule sets up for a 3-1 start. Anything less than 8 wins in 2023 will be a failure. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Again, you are contorting my overall point. Being a first time head coach with a new staff and losing out on Spring practice, where a coach gets to install his offense and learn about his players, is a tremendous loss. I am not suggesting that CJS was alone in facing this challenge, but the lack of experience as a HC coupled with the unprecedented effects of a global pandemic certainly created a substantial deficit to overcome out of the gates. In the summer, the team was limited in how they could practice and who could practice. Again, for a new HC who was not able to install his offense and defense with players he was not familiar with, the impact was more punitive than an established head coach or even one with a few years of HC experience. During the season, a team with limited depth, limited practice, and a brand new coaching staff was forced to have players constantly missing practice and games. How can you say that he had a fair shake in 2020? Anyone arguing that he was positioned the same as every other head coach in America is refusing to acknowledge reality. This isn't a matter of opinion, it is absolute fact.

To your point above, of course CJS has accountability in his decision making and coaching, and of course as a leader of men he will take accountability for his shortcomings. But what do you really expect a head coach to say? You want him to publicly acknowledge that 6 wins is likely the ceiling for this team? Of course he won't do that, but anyone looking at our schedule knows that is probably the case. Using coach-speak to try and prove your point is a major stretch, but you know that. I would never argue that CJS has done a stellar job at USF thus far. I will continue to argue that he was forced to coach his first season from such a tremendous deficit that I will give him a pass for 2020. I am looking for sustained improvement and consistency in 2022. If this team fails to win 4+ games, then I will sour on CJS. To me, the goal for the season is 6-6. 5-7 would be acceptable. 4-8 is the minimum. 2023 is make or break for CJS. The OOC schedule sets up for a 3-1 start. Anything less than 8 wins in 2023 will be a failure. 

I think that’s fair enough, let’s see what happens. What I cannot accept is a position that CJS didn’t contribute to his record and that there is no time frame to have any expectations of him beyond showing up. We have different opinions on the degrees and timeframes but that’s reasonable enough for me.

• Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

On 4/18/2022 at 5:00 PM, Jim Johnson said:

…USF won't win the conference, that is for sure…

USF has NEVER won any conference in football, and at this point it’s impossible to predict when, or if, they ever will. And that’s with the 3 best teams in the conference leaving and being replaced with less talented teams. So, I’d say that’s a pretty safe bet.

6 wins would be awesome. Hell, I can’t remember the last bowl game appearance.

I’m not sure why they’re putting all his facility money into a team that hasn’t done anything for years. Indoor practice facility and a stadium? Do they think that’s what’s gonna make the team play better? How are they gonna pay for it if there’s no attendance because the team  is so bad?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

9 minutes ago, slick1ru2 said:

USF has NEVER won any conference in football, and at this point it’s impossible to predict when, or if, they ever will. And that’s with the 3 best teams in the conference leaving and being replaced with less talented teams. So, I’d say that’s a pretty safe bet.

6 wins would be awesome. Hell, I can’t remember the last bowl game appearance.

I’m not sure why they’re putting all his facility money into a team that hasn’t done anything for years. Indoor practice facility and a stadium? Do they think that’s what’s gonna make the team play better? How are they gonna pay for it if there’s no attendance because the team  is so bad?

They know it will make the team better, by recruiting better players.