• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football Press Conference Today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,458
  • Days Won:  25

34 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Sure but that will never happen.  First off we are G5 and they are an elite P5 program and the resource gap is enormous.  If CJS can bring some of what he learned at Clemson to help us be better I’m all for it, however I’m certainly not expecting a run like Clemson.

SIMILAR. G5 and P5 has absolutely zero to do with having a SIMILAR run. I'll take 10 years and multiple conference championships compared to the last 25 years and be darn proud of it.

• Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

44 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

SIMILAR. G5 and P5 has absolutely zero to do with having a SIMILAR run. I'll take 10 years and multiple conference championships compared to the last 25 years and be darn proud of it.

Besides the fact no one has left Clemson and had any success much less replicated Clemson (although Dabo started slow too and all of them have done so poorly no one gave them extra time, maybe the time thing works and is a factor) I just do not see how one reconciles saying that things people did last year do not count and you can't bring your TD's with you from last year to this year, while at the same time bringing up multiple times every time you talk about how one time years ago you worked in a facilitating role somewhere that did something. If less focus was spent on mirroring Clemson and more on becoming Jeff Scott's USF we would all be better served (Just like CWT and the Harbaugh way), the best thing he can do is forget about it at this point. Its time to move on...4B546D9F-2A21-4AAA-A2AD-E42C54C5BD5E.thumb.jpeg.91873449125a197673c7804302cb36e1.jpeg

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

2 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Sure but that will never happen.  First off we are G5 and they are an elite P5 program and the resource gap is enormous.  If CJS can bring some of what he learned at Clemson to help us be better I’m all for it, however I’m certainly not expecting a run like Clemson.

They weren't "elite" until 2012... before that they were fair-to-middlin in the ACC... some seasons missing a bowl game, some seasons doing well... their highest ranking to end a season in the 15 years before Dabo was #16... with a few rankings in the 20s... Florida State was an "elite" program, but has tanked... College football historically is cyclical - it's only the last 10-15 years where a handful of programs have dominated the top rankings... and with NIL and more money, there's no way to know what will happen in the future.

Now... the P5-G5 is important... USF won't be in discussions about the playoffs like Clemson is ... but USF could still have a Clemson-like run.  A decade of 9- 10-win seasons is possible... success breeds success, and it should be possible to dominate the post 2023 AAC the same way Boise dominated the MWC.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Besides the fact no one has left Clemson and had any success much less replicated Clemson (although Dabo started slow too and all of them have done so poorly no one gave them extra time, maybe the time thing works and is a factor) I just do not see how one reconciles saying that things people did last year do not count and you can't bring your TD's with you from last year to this year, while at the same time bringing up multiple times every time you talk about how one time years ago you worked in a facilitating role somewhere that did something. If less focus was spent on mirroring Clemson and more on becoming Jeff Scott's USF we would all be better served (Just like CWT and the Harbaugh way), the best thing he can do is forget about it at this point. Its time to move on...4B546D9F-2A21-4AAA-A2AD-E42C54C5BD5E.thumb.jpeg.91873449125a197673c7804302cb36e1.jpeg

For the record, I’m still behind CJS and think he can turn this around, however, the constant talk about Clemson has grown tiresome for me.  Taggart talked about Harbaugh this and that and floundered, however when he went out on his own and put together Gulf Coast offense he became more successful.  What works at one place may not work at another.  Perhaps the Clemson formula will work here.  For the sake of the program, I hope it does.

Edited by El_Toro_86

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

I don’t think even a similar run is possible.  There is too much disparity in college football these days.  A G5 program can get on a nice 2-3 run, see UCF and Cincinnati, however sustaining that for 10 years is not easy.  Good coaches from the G5 get poached all the time and then you’re stating over with G5 resources.  Make a bad hire and now you’re set back another 2-3 years, see Chuckles.

My hope is that CJS can get us to the point of winning a conference championship.  Winning multiple over a 10 year period is a pipe dream.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,347
  • Days Won:  43

On 2/24/2022 at 12:24 PM, lotsofbull99 said:

We've accepted the invite to the Big 12?

Hell yeah! Hope we only accept on the conditions that USF will no longer be required to play at the bounce house. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,957
  • Days Won:  12

Human recency bias... what happened recently is the way it will always be. 

Some winners will be losers again. Some losers will be on top. 

The world changes. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/26/2022 at 10:34 AM, El_Toro_86 said:

For the record, I’m still behind CJS and think he can turn this around, however, the constant talk about Clemson has grown tiresome for me.  Taggart talked about Harbaugh this and that and floundered, however when he went out on his own and put together Gulf Coast offense he became more successful.  What works at one place may not work at another.  Perhaps the Clemson formula will work here.  For the sake of the program, I hope it does.

Agreed, Jeff Scott has to realize the he is his own person and coach. As individuals, we are more than a brand or a team. JS has experience from his whole life (before and after Clemson) and this is has to be a custom build created from his experience and what can work here. JS is his own person and should be proud of it (and aspire to be BETTER than Dabo) and USF is it’s own school/team and should be proud of who we are and who we can be (and we are not Clemson, but aspire to be BETTER than Clemson)!!

• Upvote 1