• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Contract extension

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

None of them faced the exact same adversity. Every situation out there was unique to each program, as it is with everything involving athletic programs. You can keep banging that drum but it's weak, at best. Could your miracle worker at UTSA have come in here and have had the same results he had there? There's no way to know ..... having said that, you would have hoped that CJS would have had more than 1 FBS win in two years, but bottom line he didn't ..... but it doesn't really matter what he's done the first two years, it's what happens the next 2-3 years that does.

Which is quite simply why making it the next 5 years makes absolutely no sense. Firing after these two years (which is the usual wages for CJS level ineptness) seems like not the best idea given the circumstances (mostly our constant flux and lack of money) but the only thing that would be more dumbfounding would be to say you know what let’s reward that one win in two years with a two year extension. Did you not see the first time CSH coached here and got a premature extension? What’s the point?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

17 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Which is quite simply why making it the next 5 years makes absolutely no sense. Firing after these two years (which is the usual wages for CJS level ineptness) seems like not the best idea given the circumstances (mostly our constant flux and lack of money) but the only thing that would be more dumbfounding would be to say you know what let’s reward that one win in two years with a two year extension. Did you not see the first time CSH coached here and got a premature extension? What’s the point?

If this rumor comes true and they actually do extend him 2 years, while actually saying it's a reward for one win in his first 2 years, I'll withdraw quietly from this discussion ....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

If this rumor comes true and they actually do extend him 2 years, while actually saying it's a reward for one win in his first 2 years, I'll withdraw quietly from this discussion ....

I don’t think it matters what the stated reason is, there can’t be a justifiable one

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I haven't heard anything that frames this in terms of "reward" for the past two seasons... It's only been framed as CJS came into a bad situation that was made worse by actions outside of his control (COVID and lost scholarships)... since USF originally offered a 5-year deal, extending beyond 2 years makes up for these issues.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

Just now, puc86 said:

I don’t think it matters what the stated reason is, there can’t be a justifiable one

Everything is justifiable... whether people accept the justification is in their minds.  USF doesn't need universal acceptance of their reasons.  Each of us can choose to react to what USF does (or does not do) as we see fit... from complaining on the internet to withholding or making donations.  I complained about Spencer on the internet because I could not actually do anything about the situation ... and when he was fired, I made a small donation to the IPF as a "thank you."

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

I'm sort of with Jim.  I don't know why we would do it.  If we did it at no increase or with added performance-based incentives in lieu of salary (and a zero buyout would be nice), sure.  I don't see it as a priority, but I don't know much about this rumor or if it were true, the thought behind it.  

I think CJS has us on a far better path than CCS.  I think he is building a program.  Much to be proven about recruiting and developing talent though.  I saw improvements throughout the season and there were many Taggart and Strong seasons where that was not visible.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

What possible reason could you have for extending him, when next year should be a bowl or you're gone season?

In my opinion, we are seeing progress. But that hasn't translated into wins and if he can't do it next year he has to go.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

BTW, this has been a tough season.  We have not been able to enjoy @puc86 in his full splendor....I would extend him for that reason alone.  The losing sort of dampened his interaction.  It wasn't his fault...

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Everything is justifiable... whether people accept the justification is in their minds.  USF doesn't need universal acceptance of their reasons.  Each of us can choose to react to what USF does (or does not do) as we see fit... from complaining on the internet to withholding or making donations.  I complained about Spencer on the internet because I could not actually do anything about the situation ... and when he was fired, I made a small donation to the IPF as a "thank you."

No everyone makes justifications but that doesn’t make everything justifiable. Justifiable means that your justification has been defended and accepted as reasonable, very few people are going to understand the reasoning behind why it’s necessary to extend a contract at this time.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

I'm sort of with Jim.  I don't know why we would do it.  If we did it at no increase or with added performance-based incentives in lieu of salary (and a zero buyout would be nice), sure.  I don't see it as a priority, but I don't know much about this rumor or if it were true, the thought behind it.  

I think CJS has us on a far better path than CCS.  I think he is building a program.  Much to be proven about recruiting and developing talent though.  I saw improvements throughout the season and there were many Taggart and Strong seasons where that was not visible.

The “sure” part is where you lose me. If they extend the coach with the WORST RECORD IN USF HISTORY, two years into a five year deal, at any cost, it shows that they are completely incompetent at ever level. And I’m not even a Scott hater—I saw signs of life at the end of the season and have a glimpse of jaded optimism for next year. But facts are facts. 

I’ve stayed out of a lot of the discourse around the team and program lately because I’m beaten down like many others. But if they have truly learned so little from USF’s short history that nobody is around to grab somebody and shake them and say “what the **** are you doing?!?!”, then all the calls for a complete housecleaning are 100% justified.