• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Contract extension

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

2 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

If they extend?? Instead of another cash infusion into an unknown how about the raises are merit based. CJS makes $1.5 mil (pretty sure) seems like enough for the current results. If the Plague year was a gimme then he should be up for adding a year to his contract w/ only merit raises based on performance. If we get to a bowl? Let it get him a few hundred thousand more. He has commented on several occasions that he is a long-term deal. Would think right now, it might be more important to ante up for higher asst coaches pay-lure some in from...? 

IIRC he took a pay cut in year 1 because of covid. Haven’t heard anything about those cuts being reinstated.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

46 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

IIRC he took a pay cut in year 1 because of covid. Haven’t heard anything about those cuts being reinstated.

yep, 15% was the number I remember. nope never heard if the athletics staff(s) ever got it back. My guess is, they did.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

59 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

If they extend?? Instead of another cash infusion into an unknown how about the raises are merit based. CJS makes $1.5 mil (pretty sure) seems like enough for the current results. If the Plague year was a gimme then he should be up for adding a year to his contract w/ only merit raises based on performance. If we get to a bowl? Let it get him a few hundred thousand more. He has commented on several occasions that he is a long-term deal. Would think right now, it might be more important to ante up for higher asst coaches pay-lure some in from...? 

The rumor is the extension would just be two more years without an increase.  It's not really USF trying to keep CJS... it's USF trying to "do right" by CJS offering him five full seasons rather than 2 shortened seasons and three full seasons.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

The rumor is the extension would just be two more years without an increase.  It's not really USF trying to keep CJS... it's USF trying to "do right" by CJS offering him five full seasons rather than 2 shortened seasons and three full seasons.

In what way was this season shortened for CJS? We have already done far too right by CJS we need to look out for #1 and if we can’t manage to do that then we need to stop telling us about how we don’t have enough money laying around. Maybe just maybe if you didn’t set it on fire trying to be nice there would be more money.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

12 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

You know how those "rumors" can fly around accurate or not. I do believe we had full spring in 2021 and we played all of our schedule in 2021 w/o much conversation relating to virus problems. So, I'm more about last year being the gimme. But, ( and..I'm not on a Fire CJS rant) our season was a bust. 1 conference win. Yes, we had some good moments against teams but then couldnt close it out. Lost to teams we should have beat. That's a problem. If, CJS has to do a massive reload in the off season it could go one of 2 ways-If we are 2-3 wins at the end of next season?? Not good Not good at all..BUT time will tell

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Days Won:  14

I don't think anybody is going to swoop in and "steal" him anytime soon.  Guy is locked in until '24.  Leave it at that.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I changed my mind. 

Let's extend him. 

Add 2 more seasons. At ZERO extra dollars for those 2 seasons guaranteed. You win 6 games next year, season 4 you get 500k. Win a bowl game, extra 100k. Win division add  200k. Win conference add 400k. Win NY6 add 800k. Win playoff game, add 1M. Win natty add 2M. 

Give a bigger assistant coach pool. 

Boom.... 

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

14 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Yes ... the rumor is it will be extended two more years for two reasons.

1. The 2020 season just does not count because of COVID.

2. Because USF has reductions in scholarships thanks to Coach Strong.

The rumor is it would not include a salary increase.

It should be performance based.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

I think CJS will eventually get this thing into gear, but I agree that extending him now just has bad optics all over it. At least let him get to .500 on a season, or close to it, before extending, even if it's for no more money. If just looks bad to extend him now, even rationalizing COVID, etc.

I can see the logic of offering bonus money, etc., but he's HC of a D1 football team, I wouldn't think he'd need a financial carrot to get things going. He's tarnishing his reputation, ruining his overall HC win/loss record, and making it harder to get a job in the future by failing. I'm pretty sure he's as motivated as he can be to do well here. I just hope whatever the missing pieces are, he's able to find them.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

13 hours ago, puc86 said:

Not true at all I’m saying it because he still has three years under contract, if he succeeds he will renegotiate for more money and if he fails we will buy him out but in no situation no matter how hard you try to come up with fringe scenarios is it’s beneficial to extend a contract of a failing employee three years before it’s necessary. At best the conversations should happen next offseason and even that doesn’t seem horribly necessary.

Ramble on all you want but you said it could ONLY hurt us and there's absolutely no way to determine that at this point, with all the unknowns surrounding this..... and before you twist any more words, I'm not saying that it's beneficial to extend at this time, IF it even happens, just that it's not the freaking Doomsday Scenario you're whining about.

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1