• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Portal thread

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,714
  • Days Won:  109

3 hours ago, Skingraft said:

I see an 8+ win season next year.... They are stacking that roster

That is going to take a lot of in-conference wins with the OOC schedule we have again.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

It is *possible*, not likely.  Marsh now has two years in the system. For a kid to come out of HS and pick up the offense better in a few months while adjusting to college isn't likely.

For the record, I never said it was likely just that it may not necessarily be exceedingly difficult for any true frosh QB to move ahead of Marsh next year  because one may have 8 months to pick it up the offense as opposed to two.

Marsh now has two years in the system. For a kid to come out of HS and pick up the offense better in a few months while adjusting to college isn't likely.

A kid came of HS last year, enrolling early and picked it up well enough to jump two qb's that had a year head start on him ..... and again, I'm not saying it's even likely to happen but coming in early gives players a huge jump, especially at qb.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

We're stacking the roster with players, who for the most part, did not do much in the way of contributing to their previous team. We're hoping and praying it's because they weren't given a real chance and all they need to excel is that chance here ..... but it's not a given they will (See MBB, USF).

Agreed. But with one big difference most of the football transfers were highly rated out of HS and went to Power schools that had better talent to compete against. The basketball transfer are for the most part except for maybe 2 not meeting those same parameters.

Still I agree many are getting too excited, we need to see how they perform but I think with some improvements from returning players and some of these transfers planing out a 5 or 6 win season is possible. For more to happen we would need major uptake in both.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

18 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Agreed. But with one big difference most of the football transfers were highly rated out of HS and went to Power schools that had better talent to compete against. The basketball transfer are for the most part except for maybe 2 not meeting those same parameters.

Still I agree many are getting too excited, we need to see how they perform but I think with some improvements from returning players and some of these transfers planing out a 5 or 6 win season is possible. For more to happen we would need major uptake in both.

5 or 6 wins I can kinda understand ..... 8 is just crazy talk but I do love the optimism and just don't want to see it lead to severe disappointment, which usually turns things ugly around here.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  3

I am excited for next season. I also have to remind myself that other teams have also recruited players that should “improve” their teams.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

13 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

It is *possible*, not likely.  Marsh now has two years in the system. For a kid to come out of HS and pick up the offense better in a few months while adjusting to college isn't likely.

I'm not really sure why you are insisting that Marsh will automatically be better just because he has been here a few years.  If you are not a running QB you will not be successful at USF.  It is that simple.  Marsh is a statue and throws picks at an alarming rate.  Zero percent chance he is ever better than Timmy was this past season.  Being able to throw a nice ball is not what makes USF QB's successful.  It certainly is a plus as long as they can run just as well or better than they can pass.   

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,411
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, jg233 said:

I'm not really sure why you are insisting that Marsh will automatically be better just because he has been here a few years.  If you are not a running QB you will not be successful at USF.  It is that simple.  Marsh is a statue and throws picks at an alarming rate.  Zero percent chance he is ever better than Timmy was this past season.  Being able to throw a nice ball is not what makes USF QB's successful.  It certainly is a plus as long as they can run just as well or better than they can pass.   

It will be nice to have Marsh for sake of continuity, familiar face with Timmy in the QB room, hopefully he has playbook memorized.  If the new WR weapons help take pressure off Weaver (or can get open) the QBs should drastically improve. It wouldnt take much to take the QB1 spot based on stats alone. What we see in Timmy is the ceiling.  If we started Marsh all year long i can't imagine his stats would be any worse. Let's hope one of them takes the next step this off season and breaks out this year!

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

17 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

It would be exceedingly difficult for any true frosh QB to move ahead of Marsh next year.  Next years team will not he punting the season and accepting QB mistakes like this years team.

The big what if is: IF McC and Marsh dont excel to a high level in the Spring and into Fall, our QB problems will be a cluster. Marsh grew Zero as demonstrated this year-he looked the same as the year prior. He has a good completion rate just to the wrong team. McC seemed to circle back to the beginning of the season at the end. He was making mistakes that he didnt seem to make during the middle of the season?? He had a lot of snaps by the end.                   CJS has his work cut out for him in the off season. He is hell bound determined not to ever repeat our seasonal disasters again-Ever!  

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  957
  • Days Won:  1

14 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

If the new WR weapons help take pressure off Weaver (or can get open) the QBs should drastically improve

I like this point you bring up. In terms of instant impact transfers, WR’s can be that position. It’s mostly pure athletes that can catch and spread the field; Kahfre Brown would be my only concern, but I think he has good upside and can hopefully improve his catch rate.