• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who called UAB for a stadium tour?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, MikeG said:

Had no idea they built a new stadium in Birmingham and still have Legion field in operation.

Can we try to get over this perception that for what-- let's say 6 to 8 games a season-- USF fans cannot be bothered to drive to RJS and instead we need to spend MILLIONS of dollars when our team may or may not be around in 10 years at this rate. The OCS argument has never made a lick of financial sense and while yeah-- "it would be nice"-- is it absolutely critical? Call em crazy-- but I see that money as being wasted. Making the argument that it cost more now to build than if we had done it 20 years ago--- uh yeah-- you mean when we ALSO didn't have the funds to get it done.

I know I am now on the "wrong side" of this argument and whatever happens will not change because of making valid sound points about how we are willing to overextend USF's football operation. But it still amazes me how some people whine about the NEED to have a place on campus to watch football-- as if it will solve anything or be even close to as nice as playing in a professional stadium that WE RENT and rather cheaply by most measures.

anyway== here is the TV piece I wanted to share before jumping on my soapbox like a deranged person .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj_rJ2-5ejzAhUIpp4KHYJDADoQwqsBegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wbrc.com%2Fvideo%2F2021%2F10%2F25%2Fwhat-future-legion-field%2F&usg=AOvVaw2IC2JJo1OZP9qf7PxYX4WH

I wonder if we could do something similar. It seems like multiple parties and municipalities helped bank roll the project. Not sure what percent of the project was directly funded/financed by UAB. 

Pulled this from the Protective Stadium website: "Protective Stadium is a 45,000-capacity multi-use, open-air stadium within the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex in Birmingham, Alabama. Funded by the BJCC Authority, the City of Birmingham, Jefferson County, Protective Life Corporation, and the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Protective Stadium is the home of UAB Football."

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

. . . We can't have metal bleachers!  (even though all the schools we want to be like have them in their on campus stadiums) . . .

My thought exactly when reading through this thread

FSU and UF are all bleacher stadiums, with the exception of some premium seat areas

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,140
  • Days Won:  39

4 minutes ago, Bull Nut said:

Pulled this from the Protective Stadium website: "Protective Stadium is a 45,000-capacity multi-use, open-air stadium within the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex in Birmingham, Alabama. Funded by the BJCC Authority, the City of Birmingham, Jefferson County, Protective Life Corporation, and the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Protective Stadium is the home of UAB Football."

This stadium is too big though for us.  Maybe if they lop an end off.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Rocky Style said:

This stadium is too big though for us.  Maybe if they lop an end off.

Lol Possibly. I was just trying to illustrate the point that it looks like they got creative in funding the project, ultimately putting less financial obligation on the University itself.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

12 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

My thought exactly when reading through this thread

FSU and UF are all bleacher stadiums, with the exception of some premium seat areas

So was Notre Dame - wooden bleachers.  Are we allowed to prefer wood over aluminum or is it the other way around?  How about turf?  Grass or synthetic?   

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

2 hours ago, Bull Nut said:

Lol Possibly. I was just trying to illustrate the point that it looks like they got creative in funding the project, ultimately putting less financial obligation on the University itself.

Unless there's something I can't find, the only financial obligation of UAB is their lease agreement. This setup is basically a smaller version of us and RayJay, only green and gold ....... and without the pirates making tons of money off it.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

So I just spent the weekend in Oxford MS and went to the Ole Miss/LSU game.  First off, if you haven’t been to an Ole Miss game you need to go, or better yet just go for the tailgate.  The tailgating at the Grove is like nothing I’ve ever experienced and Oxford is pretty cool little town.  Like they say in Ole Miss, they’ve never lost a tailgate.

So I sat on bleacher seats with no cup holders in a completely sold out stadium in the heat of the day and had an awesome time with plenty of fans my age or older.  I’m a college football purist so even though I’m 57, I wasn’t wishing I had a comfy chair back and a nice cup holder while complaining about someone standing in front of me.  In fact, we stood most of the time.  

Bleacher seating is college football.  If it’s bleacher seats or nothing for our OCS, give me bleacher seats all day long.  If you want chair backs and cup holders go to an NFL game.

Excellent post El Toro, I was in College Station last weekend and due to my lack of planning I was in the student lower section and you are not allowed to sit down at all on these bleacher seats.   My wife and I, and my daughter and friends stood the whole game and waived a towel while we chugged beer with 100k others.   Had a blast and could give two violation about  a cup holder or a seat back.  I am only a few years younger than you but agree with you, bleachers are college football.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

8 minutes ago, MikeG said:

I'm just surprised they could get it done knowing that Legion Field is also still surviving somehow. They don't even play the Iron Bowl (Auburn-Bama) there anymore. Just some thing called the Magic City Classic and I guess a bowl game or some concerts.  It is a shame sort of from a tailgating perspective as that place was built to handle thousands of RVs and they sure as heck came. I was shocked when we played Bama there and saw just how many RVs were crammed into the lot next to the stadium. It reminded me of a place we played the year before--- in Little Rock Arkansas to face the Razorbacks-- though Legion field was way bigger and not quite as run down.

I know they lost a huge section of the second level (was that ever fixed or replaced?) but kept playing there as UAB came back to life miraculously.

They used to play a few Alabama games every year there, tore the second level down before it fell down.  We own that stadium after being Birmingham bowl champs in Q’s last two years,  place is a dump but I love any stadium we are successful at.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

17 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

They used to play a few Alabama games every year there, tore the second level down before it fell down.  We own that stadium after being Birmingham bowl champs in Q’s last two years,  place is a dump but I love any stadium we are successful at.  

Went to both of those games and had a blast. The stadium and surround neighborhood definitely weren’t the nicest.