• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who called UAB for a stadium tour?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Just now, BayIslandBull said:

You didn't answer the question of why we should never have been in the Big East.  I think we were a great fit.

Sorry, didn't see question. I think we were obviously a great fit on the field but off, we weren't ready for it. Most football programs have had decades to build a fanbase, one that primarily cares more about their team than who they're playing. We had less than a decade and then throw in the other dynamics, people/alumni already with allegiances to other state program, major pro sports teams in the area, etc and it wasn't going to be easy.

9 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I go back to the experience not connecting to the university since it was a quasi-pro experience.  It doesn't hit people in the "nostalgia feels" like it needs to.  I believe this is why UCF saw their donor base increase with the rustbucket.

I do think an ocs will increase a donor base to a degree but with UCF, I think it was also a matter of wanting to get to another level that spurred things. We were already there. Why should I give, or give any more, when we're at the top of the football hierarchy now? The understanding of how college programs are maintained wasn't there for a lot ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Well, its still kind of big.  I don't think I've ever heard of USF officially ever touring a stadium for potential ideas.  Better than a yet another survey or feasibility study.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, usf97 said:

I think we have a few examples of teams that have made upward and downward movement. 

The obvious downward teams are USF, UConn and Southern Mississippi. USF was never "viewed" as a BCS team. UConn got in because of their basketball and former relationship with the Big East. 

Louisville and Cincinnati continued to invest. As did Houston and UCF. 

You can ECU to that list as well. They were the darlings of CFB in the late 1980s and 1990s.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, BulledOver said:

You touch on the age old USF debacle, Why? Don't alumni, community and businesses want to get more involved and donate (be a part of) USF?? Nothing new. Well discussed. And, still nobody can actually figure it out. Lot's of theories have floated and been batted around. I wonder, since our academic entrance standards have gotten so high, has it brought in a student that has never had any interest in athletics? Are their students who come from other countries/cultures that are zeroed in on academics and have no interest outside of that? Or, do a high portion of grads just feel nothing towards USF, just moving on? Obviously, the crew on TBP care about USF that's why we are here. If there was an answer I think USF entities would be pursuing it full gear. It's a big: I Don't Know??  You watch all these other teams play P5 G5 D2 and they have fans, lot's of fans. Pretty sad for a USF fan to watch. 

UF and FSU have sucked the causal fan away. The alumni still follow “daddy’s team,” and corporations feel college sports are beneath them (other than putting their name on an occasional building). Finally, pro sports take what’s left. After that all that, what remains is here on this board more or less. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

23 hours ago, BulledOver said:

read an article recently that said Memphis happy w/ Liberty Bowl. City and school were planning a large scale upgrade-remodel in future. Temple? Tough one since they are a very metro school. Might have to tear down something to build something or acquire land..? Tough to say, Philly is currently in the crazy mode

This is ridiculous!  The Liberty Bowl is not on campus.  Everyone knows that a stadium MUST be on campus or it is useless.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

19 hours ago, Bull Nut said:

I wonder if we could do something similar. It seems like multiple parties and municipalities helped bank roll the project. Not sure what percent of the project was directly funded/financed by UAB. 

Pulled this from the Protective Stadium website: "Protective Stadium is a 45,000-capacity multi-use, open-air stadium within the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex in Birmingham, Alabama. Funded by the BJCC Authority, the City of Birmingham, Jefferson County, Protective Life Corporation, and the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Protective Stadium is the home of UAB Football."

Wait, it isn't oN CaMpuS?

Be gone with this thought!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Well, its still kind of big.  I don't think I've ever heard of USF officially ever touring a stadium for potential ideas.  Better than a yet another survey or feasibility study.

I do kind of remember something like that way back when ....... but considering my memory, it could have been a dream.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

47 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

UF and FSU have sucked the causal fan away. The alumni still follow “daddy’s team,” and corporations feel college sports are beneath them (other than putting their name on an occasional building). Finally, pro sports take what’s left. After that all that, what remains is here on this board more or less. 

Dam dude- that explanation paints a pathetic portrait. Wow..maybe I'll call A. Baldwin see if he wants to go to the range today....bummer

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

41 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

This is ridiculous!  The Liberty Bowl is not on campus.  Everyone knows that a stadium MUST be on campus or it is useless.

Would appear that is the sentiment...UAB not on campus either. Doubt Temple could do one nearby either w/o tearing down part of the city? USF has some room for one w/o too much demo/acquisitions.            Who Know's???