• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who called UAB for a stadium tour?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

7 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I go to home games so I guess I can opine on this.

I was asked by our esteemed John Lewis at the game on Saturday what my opinion was. Told him he didn't want to hear it. But he insisted. I really am fine with playing at Ray Jay.  By time a stadium gets built I'll probably be in my mid 70s. Can't imagine sitting out on a Labor Day Saturday with 100+ heat index playing Ga Southern with no air conditioning to get at least some temporary relief.  Who knows if there will be shade involved.

I've sat through most of our hottest games - @FAU, @UF, @FSU, home vs Central (before we had club access), @ Ga Tech and a couple years back (probably forgetting some) and survived all of them.  But that was then.

I will support an OCS when the time comes but can't say I'm in a hurry for it to happen.  Students will tailgate in their apartments and not come into the stadium. All the same excuses will be there.  It's a Saturday noon game and we're hungover. It's a Saturday night game and there are parties to go to. It is a Thursday night and I really have to work or study or watch whatever app has 15 second short attention span videos.  

It works for you and the only reason I called out Steve on his ability to opine is because he took a shot at me. The A/C is a big deal, many years of 1pm Bucs games early in the year without having access to this luxury. A smaller venue would be more cozy and less cavernous and provide a more aesthetically pleasing view on TV. It will not solve everything but it would be a step in the right direction, if we stay the path we will cease to exist in 10 years.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,140
  • Days Won:  39

19 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

It is a Thursday night and I really have to work or study or watch whatever app has 15 second short attention span videos.  

We have to somehow re-route dopamine/validation hits from TikTok to football.  

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

6 minutes ago, BayIslandBull said:

I can't think of any BCS team that has dropped 2 tiers in conference stature like we have (BE > AAC > AAC 2.0), let alone a downward spiral.

That's because we never should have been a BCS program in the first place ....

• Upvote 1
  • Crying 1

26 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Do you know who was the last team 'Bama played in Birmingham?

Us

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Why? We had some outstanding games, and 50k average attendance, not to mention ranked in the top 25 at some point in the season almost every year.  The school just hasn't invested anything into the program in 20 years except new sod on practice fields. 

Edited by BayIslandBull

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, BayIslandBull said:

Why? We had some outstanding games, and 50k average attendance. The school just hasn't invested anything into the program in 20 years except new sod on practice fields. 

It's rough remembering where we were and what's happened since. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

. . .   The school just hasn't invested anything into the program in 20 years except new sod on practice fields. 

And don't forget coaches ... heavily invested - bad investments though :( 

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I don't agree with that though.  We were competing, getting high attendance, and just squandered it.  Then we embraced the "we were #2 once / remember the WVU game" status quo mentality to carry us into the next conference.

• Upvote 3

Why? We had some outstanding games, and 50k average attendance, not to mention ranked in the top 25 at some point in the season almost every year.  The school just hasn't invested anything into the program in 20 years except new sod on practice fields. 

Why would they need to invest in football .... why would the donor base need to start giving like a BCS program? It was so easy to get there that everybody just took things for granted. The one place Athletics dropped the ball, IMO, was not figuring in an IPF when they upgraded the other facilities, which were a priority.

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Why would they need to invest in football .... why would the donor base need to start giving like a BCS program? It was so easy to get there that everybody just took things for granted. The one place Athletics dropped the ball, IMO, was not figuring in an IPF when they upgraded the other facilities, which were a priority.

That's what I said, but apparently I was wrong.  Still waiting...

Edited by Rocky Style