• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

There's no reason we shouldn't have 30K+ this weekend 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

25 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

There's no reason we shouldn't have 30K+ this weekend 

We will, announced. Announced we'll have probably over 34k every game. But that's not what people use against us. If we could use just that number it would look a lot better. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, deters- said:

Don't waste your time on the opinion of that illiterate douchebag. Guy is a joke of a writer. This is the quality you can expect from the TBT.

Untitled_zpsjhlqvkzj.png

Couldn't read past the first sentence as it was too painful. How do you actually get into the printed paper with that big of a mistake on the 3rd word? Maybe we hired their editors for our B12 letter?

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

13 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

Couldn't read past the first sentence as it was too painful. How do you actually get into the printed paper with that big of a mistake on the 3rd word? Maybe we hired their editors for our B12 letter?

Just to clarify, are you referring to "Lightning was"? My understanding is that, in sports journalism, the word "club" or "team" is usually implied following team names that do NOT end in "s," such that the singular verb is used. For example, the "Orlando Magic was," but the "Chicago Bears were."  I could be wrong though, too lazy to look it up.

If I am wrong though, yes, this would be a big matzah ball of a mistake.

EDIT: Not sure how authoritative this is, but I think it's what I was recollecting:

"If you follow the AP Stylebook, yes. AP says collective nouns (as in bands and teams) take plural verbs. However, some newspapers — some very large newspapers, in fact — insist that a singularly named team takes a singular verb (e.g., Jazz wins division title). I think they're wrong, and that it grates against the ear, but it's not a cardinal sin.

AP also generally follows the format you mention in your second example, but not exclusively. There are plenty of papers that still say things like "Wildcat football coach John Smith" but it really should be "Wildcats coach." Again, it's not something worth taking up torches and pitchforks (although I'll change it every time).

We've also discussed this topic before ... might be helpful to do a topic search in this forum to see how members have weighed in."

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/verb-agreement-with-team-names.113807/

Edited by TallyBull

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, SANJAY said:

@Raetus USF did not play UCF in 2011. You must mean 2013.

The picture was uploaded in 2011 -- not from a game in 2011. That's all I meant. Besides, someone else has stated it is from Miami, despite what the random website it is from says it was from.

Regardless, it's just to show a full stadium versus the UCF/USF game from 2015.

2 hours ago, deters- said:

This is UCF vs Miami.

That looks right.

2 hours ago, deters- said:

Don't waste your time on the opinion of that illiterate douchebag. Guy is a joke of a writer. This is the quality you can expect from the TBT.

Untitled_zpsjhlqvkzj.png

It's not unusual... to be a terrible writer.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Just to clarify, are you referring to "Lightning was"? My understanding is that, in sports journalism, the word "club" or "team" is usually implied following team names that do NOT end in "s," such that the singular verb is used. For example, the "Orlando Magic was," but the "Chicago Bears were."  I could be wrong though, too lazy to look it up.

If I am wrong though, yes, this would be a big matzah ball of a mistake.

I could be wrong, but I think he was referring to the fact that many of those sentences aren't sentences. I definitely could be wrong, but that's what I took from it.

Edited by Raetus

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,681
  • Days Won:  8

http://www.learn-english-today.com/lessons/lesson_contents/grammar/nouns_countables-plurals.html

Countable nouns 

Countable nouns are individual objects, people, places and things that can be counted. 
For example, books, houses, Americans, cats, dogs, cars, etc.
A countable noun can be singular (a book) or plural(two books)
The singular form of a verb is used with a singular countable noun : the apple is red
The plural form of a verb is used with a plural countable noun : the apples are red.

Uncountable nouns

Uncountable or mass nouns are substances, concepts, information, materials, etc. 
which are not individual objects and cannot be counted. They have no plural form.

For example : 

• Substances :    milk, cream, sugar, bread, flour, water, wine
  • Concepts : hope, peace, beauty, entertainment, freedom
  • Feelings and qualities :      anger, joy, honesty, pride
  • Activities :  homework, sleep, surveillance

Uncountable or mass nouns are :

• used with no indefinite article (a/an) :   Drink water if you are thirsty. (not: a water)
  • take a singular verb. : Water is safe to drink in this area.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

So maybe it was because of the holiday, but at the game on Saturday I looked over to Judy's box and nobody was home. Lights were out.

I'd like to speculate that she was in Dallas.