• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Facing USF’s First Coach (article)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

This is one of the first time I can recall the University mentioning CJL at all since they had to pay him to settle his wrongful termination/breach of contract claim. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

Same here @ZeroBullChip.  At some point USF has to deal with this in a respectful manner.  It didn't at the time.  

Great job by Joey Johnston.  It reminded me of a lot and was a little sad to read.

#US2F has to be more than a hashtag or it too is just another useless hashtag.  Time for this University and its Athletic Department to move forward, this is a good step.  It's way overdue.  There must be MORE.  I'm not sure who to thank, but I'll start with Coach Scott.

Agree…also it has been nice to see Coach Scott showing respect to not only  Jim Leavitt but towards USF football history. Interesting that Scott contacted Leavitt when he was a grad assistant looking for a job/contact (and Leavitt was one of the few who responded). It always seems like everyone knows everyone in the college football coaching fraternity. 

• Like 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,702
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Same here @ZeroBullChipAt some point USF has to deal with this in a respectful manner.  It didn't at the time.  

Great job by Joey Johnston.  It reminded me of a lot and was a little sad to read.

#US2F has to be more than a hashtag or it too is just another useless hashtag.  Time for this University and its Athletic Department to move forward, this is a good step.  It's way overdue.  There must be MORE.  I'm not sure who to thank, but I'll start with Coach Scott.

Not trying to bait you or anything. Being serious for a second here. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to do that when he is retired? Now that the principle players are gone, maybe you could do a video montage before a game here when they come to visit BUT I'm not sure if I would love it right now.  And, besides, most of the CJL fans have given up on USF football.  I know pro sports teams do it when a guy is making a farewell tour but Jim is still actively trying to whoop our butts.  I'm all for giving the guy a tribute - eventually. Torn on whether to do it while he's trying to beat us.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

16 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Not trying to bait you or anything. Being serious for a second here. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to do that when he is retired? Now that the principle players are gone, maybe you could do a video montage before a game here when they come to visit BUT I'm not sure if I would love it right now.  And, besides, most of the CJL fans have given up on USF football.  I know pro sports teams do it when a guy is making a farewell tour but Jim is still actively trying to whoop our butts.  I'm all for giving the guy a tribute - eventually. Torn on whether to do it while he's trying to beat us.

Actually a super tough decision that I wouldn’t want to have to make but my gut is that if he was here I would do something official, if he was willing. And the reason I believe I’d do it is because I think smaller minor tributes will more than likely be chaotically breaking out and I would rather control the situation and hopefully have people get it out of their system. Plus it makes it look like I’m making olive branch gestures and they really don’t cost anything or mean anything to anyone but the people that still care about what went down. Have the coaches meet for the coin toss, shake hands, say something nice give him a gift, have him throw said gift, have people cheer, he raises his visor and life goes on with everyone feeling a bit better and a bit of closure.

Edited by puc86

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,265
  • Days Won:  255

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I'm not sure who to thank, but I'll start with Coach Scott.

If he wasn’t the one that came up with it he definitely took the napkin note and ran with it. He has been pretty consistent in discussing the past and CJL in a positive light and it definitely seems like a stark contrast to the way things have been. This is definitely one of the topics that I think make him a great leader and where I see why people ask how can’t you like the guy. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Culture