• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Non-Doom and Gloom Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

I think McClain as an 18-year-old may be better than Flowers, Daniels, and Grothe as TRUE freshmen. 

I don't really know that there is a comparison if Grothe didn't play as a True, and BJ only played a few series before his "medical redshirt".  QF didn't look as good but also didn't play that much.

McClain looks fine though.  All the better when you consider there wasn't a solidified offense for him to step in to, he wasn't getting all the practice reps in the preseason, and the schedule hasn't been a cakewalk.  I'm super optimistic about that guy as the future based on what I've seen.

• Topic Count:  209
  • Content Count:  2,785
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Our offensive playmakers are starting to gel... and nearly all of them return next year.  Both are positive signs.

I think McClain as an 18-year-old may be better than Flowers, Daniels, and Grothe as TRUE freshmen.  He learned quickly from two mistakes against NC State.... was 17 of 24 for 186 yards with no turnovers against BYU.

The OL finally looked somewhat sharp, especially on the five LONG scoring drives... 93 yards with two 4-th down conversions!!

I think this offense is getting to the point where it can score against ALL of our remaining opponents.

It’s also important to remember who’s  coaching him which is BJ Daniels as the QB QC. I think that might be huge. 

• Like 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

I agree with Sam and to me Grothe is #1.  McClain can be the best ever.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  47

McClain potentially being a 4 year starter… if this is the very baseline, we are looking at a future Vick/Lamar Jackson style guy.

I say this because I think poise will enable him to get there. Let the chef cook, weaver/Gregory/horn will catch his passes. Mangham will get him the 1st down in short yardage. The o-line is sponsored by mission BBQ so those big bois are corn fed.

I think it would suck to be a DC trying to figure out how to contain Timmy while also not committing too many resources and allowing Weaver to make it out uncovered. Timmy can throw better than Flowers (at this point in career - after two starts)

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  83

I appreciate the positive responses. They are a pleasant option.  Go Bulls! 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

8 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Our offensive playmakers are starting to gel... and nearly all of them return next year.  Both are positive signs.

I think McClain as an 18-year-old may be better than Flowers, Daniels, and Grothe as TRUE freshmen.  He learned quickly from two mistakes against NC State.... was 17 of 24 for 186 yards with no turnovers against BYU.

The OL finally looked somewhat sharp, especially on the five LONG scoring drives... 93 yards with two 4-th down conversions!!

I think this offense is getting to the point where it can score against ALL of our remaining opponents.

McClain was great. I think he will grow to be most like Grothe in this offense if we are comparing him to other USF QBs. He moves and he really looks for receivers down field while he is evading the defense. Ultimately each QB will find their own style, and has a different offense scheme to execute and different team mates. 

I think he will be the next in line of the great USF starting QBs. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,357
  • Days Won:  5

20 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

So how about the fight in this team!?!? They aren't nearly as bad as the record suggests. It's just going to take a little more time and a more forgiving schedule. Coach strong started out with the softest schedule with Taggart's stud filled team, while coach Jeff Scott was afforded no such luck. I can say we are moving in the right direction without a doubt. 

TromBull we want a difficult schedule. I love our schedule this year as a barometer 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,007
  • Days Won:  12

Barrington is becoming a more vocal and bold USF leader. I like it. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

24 minutes ago, hm101 said:

Barrington is becoming a more vocal and bold USF leader. I like it. 

He finished his degree and the university uses the construction rental service he owns. He really is a USF lifer and is always promoting the positives of Tampa. A good guy for sure. 

• Upvote 2