• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Baseball Picked to Finish Last in Conference

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

All he does is win and recruit. It's a pretty simple way to evaluate a coach. He was the recruiting coordinator at Tulane for 7 years, 6 of those they brought in a top 25 class. He pulled a top 5 class to USF. He won 30+ games for 4 straight years at Illinois State. Has only had 1 losing season in his career is a head coach.

He recruits hitting.  He is a hitting first guy.  Nothing wrong with that at the college level.   But it may be easier to outslug teams in the MVC and the AAC.   That losing record was here and the .500 record at USC was the worst since 1996 there.  His total losses in those two seasons were more than any back to back seasons by either of the previous two seasons.  He replaced his long time recruiting coordinator (making him Director of Player Development) after that season with the recruiting coordinator from Houston (making him his top assistant).   He was 14-3 before the SEC schedule started that year.  Obviously Covid shortened last season, but 2-4 against P5 foes didn't look good going into the SEC schedule that was of course cancelled.  He's on the hot seat at USC and this season will probably be make or break.  Just like Mohl is here.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

On 1/2/2021 at 11:48 PM, JTrue said:

Do you know anything about Dontae Mitchell? He was our lone guy from our recruiting classes the past couple years that was drafted out of HS. I'm always curious about those late pick guys that teams take flyer on and how they turn out. Mitchell was a Florida 5A player of the year as junior. He's one to keep an eye on.

I am interested in seeing how he plays. I think the Brutcher kid could be good for us as well. I believe he was Gainesville bound but then wanted to be closer so his parents could watch midweeks. (rumor) We need someone to step up on the bump, more like a few. Riley Hogan is gonna be interesting to watch and see if he can add some pop, only had 2 xbh last season. Season looks bleak but there are a few out there that could make some noise. 

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

On 1/3/2021 at 7:03 AM, Friscobull said:

Your opinion is of little interest to most on this subject, you wouldn’t know a baseball if it hit you in the ass.  😂😂

why is the world are you so nasty? stop being a bully

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,862
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, smazza said:

why is the world are you so nasty? stop being a bully

In jest, NEB and myself are not well versed in college baseball and the conversation was above our heads due to our lack following the team or the sport closely so I cracked a joke.  I will attempt to explain my posts in more detail and in layman’s terms so an intellectual dullard like yourself can follow along.  ( now that last comment was me being a bully, see the difference?)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Not sure I buy us being last. I will say this, we have been to the Regionals 3 of the last 5 years (2020 excluded) and thats without getting an auto-bid.  In the previous 12 years before that we had gone to the tourney exactly 0 times. CMK could have made us something special if he would have stuck around, Now CBM is still trying to get his team together. I though we had a shot to be halfway decent last year. Our record didnt indicate that once everything was cancelled but we had played some tough teams up to that point. I figured the record would improve as the season went on. Im not sure how we end up last, i mean, of course its plausible but we really didnt lose anyone over the past season so....idk...i just hope they play. 

Edited by cophbulls

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, cophbulls said:

Not sure I buy us being last. I will say this, we have been to the Regionals 3 of the last 5 years (2020 excluded) and thats without getting an auto-bid.  In the previous 12 years before that we had gone to the tourney exactly 0 times. CMK could have made us something special if he would have stuck around, Now CBM is still trying to get his team together. I though we had a shot to be halfway decent last year. Our record didnt indicate that once everything was cancelled but we had played some tough teams up to that point. I figured the record would improve as the season went on. Im not sure how we end up last, i mean, of course its plausible but we really didnt lose anyone over the past season so....idk...i just hope they play. 

It wasn't the tough teams that gave baseball fans reason for concern, it was the fodder that kicked our ass that made people pause. If you're going to make any noise in college baseball, you can't get skunked by Marist, Northeastern, FAMU, etc. 

15 hours ago, JTrue said:

It wasn't the tough teams that gave baseball fans reason for concern, it was the fodder that kicked our ass that made people pause. If you're going to make any noise in college baseball, you can't get skunked by Marist, Northeastern, FAMU, etc. 

We did sweep Northwestern .... who did take 2 out of 3 from South Carolina ..... 😉

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

42 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

We did sweep Northwestern .... who did take 2 out of 3 from South Carolina ..... 😉

And USF football beat Dabo Swinney once, too.

28 minutes ago, JTrue said:

And USF football beat Dabo Swinney once, too.

That was a good year 

Guest Jonesy Bull
On 1/3/2021 at 11:10 AM, NewEnglandBull said:

Meh...baseball ain’t complicated...even people who live in Texas understand it...😀

Being a Boston Redsox fan, I think NEB knows baseball better than most of us, cause there have been lots of UPS and DOWNS with that group.....my vote goes with NEB on this one.