• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Baseball Picked to Finish Last in Conference

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

A fail? I don't know if I'd go that far. Season 1 was a Super Regional and Season 2 was .500. Season 3 they were 12-4 and getting votes. Season 4 they're in the preseason top 25. Mohl definitely needs to find an offensive guy. Our hitting was abysmal in a short sowing last year against some good, but a lot of not so good competition. We've got to be able to score runs against some of those teams we saw last year. 11 runs against Marist in 3 games? 5 runs in 3 games against Northeastern, with back to back shutouts in a doubleheader? Woof.

8-22 in conference in year 2 and he was 2-4 against p5 teams last year pre shutdown.  Kingston's success has been subpar at USC.  Jury is out on Mohl

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

26 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

8-22 in conference in year 2 and he was 2-4 against p5 teams last year pre shutdown.  Kingston's success has been subpar at USC.  Jury is out on Mohl

I guess. Coach A with higher expectations has a Super Regional, a .500 finish, a 12-4 record, and a top 25 starting position in his four years. Probably could fall into subpar, or at least lower than expected/wanted. Then there's Coach B who had an NCAA appearance, was the only team to miss the conference tournament, had the 238th ranked scoring offense, and got picked to finish last in the conference. Somehow failing to live up to no expectations. 

Do you know anything about Dontae Mitchell? He was our lone guy from our recruiting classes the past couple years that was drafted out of HS. I'm always curious about those late pick guys that teams take flyer on and how they turn out. Mitchell was a Florida 5A player of the year as junior. He's one to keep an eye on.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

32 minutes ago, JTrue said:

A fail? I don't know if I'd go that far. Season 1 was a Super Regional and Season 2 was .500. Season 3 they were 12-4 and getting votes. Season 4 they're in the preseason top 25. Mohl definitely needs to find an offensive guy. Our hitting was abysmal in a short sowing last year against some good, but a lot of not so good competition. We've got to be able to score runs against some of those teams we saw last year. 11 runs against Marist in 3 games? 5 runs in 3 games against Northeastern, with back to back shutouts in a doubleheader? Woof.

Please show me where they are a preseason top 25. There are only 2 AAC teams ranked (ECU and UCF). I don’t see USF even getting any votes. 

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Please show me where they are a preseason top 25. There are only 2 AAC teams ranked (ECU and UCF). I don’t see USF even getting any votes. 

I was showing Kingston's four seasons. This one, USC is picked in the top 25 by a few publications. I don't think we got any votes for top 25 in the AAC.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Coach B is 68-60-1 with a Regional appearance in his first gig as a HC.  That's only slightly less than Coach A's 3 years at USF.

Coach A has underachieved at USC and won't be there much longer if they do not improve just like Coach B won't be at USF much longer if they do not improve.

You or I should be able to lead USC to a .500 record over the Holy Crosses, Presbyterians, and Citadels of the world.  They recruit themself

Edited by chapelbull

33 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I was showing Kingston's four seasons. This one, USC is picked in the top 25 by a few publications. I don't think we got any votes for top 25 in the AAC.

Ahh...that makes sense. Yes, he was a very good coach IMO. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,860
  • Days Won:  67

9 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Your opinion is of little interest to most on this subject, you wouldn’t know a baseball if it hit you in the ass.  😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

Your opinion is of little interest to most on this subject, you wouldn’t know a baseball if it hit you in the ass.  😂😂

Meh...baseball ain’t complicated...even people who live in Texas understand it...😀

10 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

All he does is win and recruit. It's a pretty simple way to evaluate a coach. He was the recruiting coordinator at Tulane for 7 years, 6 of those they brought in a top 25 class. He pulled a top 5 class to USF. He won 30+ games for 4 straight years at Illinois State. Has only had 1 losing season in his career is a head coach.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Of course were tagged to be in last place...Maybe we should put some women on the men's teams so we could get higher in the conference standings.  But, if picked to finish last there's only way you can go--that's upward