• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Baseball Picked to Finish Last in Conference

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,860
  • Days Won:  67

19 hours ago, JTrue said:

You're being generous in including me any category that includes "knowledge." I played some college baseball and coached HS baseball for a handful of years, but that was back a while ago. I follow, I get it, I know the sport on some level. I do have a couple friends and people that I interact with that are heavily involved in the game that I chat with from time to time. One is a scout for the Blue Jays, the other was my old teammate and roommate that is an assistant coach at FSU. My relationship to them gives me some insider information or insight into our team and players, but I would never claim their knowledge adds to mine. I'll take the nod, though.

I would agree with Jonesy on this, that background makes you are subject matter expert on this board.  Some of us only have our high school glory days and thousands of hours of sitting on our ass watching the game while consuming large quantities of beer and complaining that we would do a better job coaching a particular team.  (I am not referring to anyone in particular 😀)

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

4 hours ago, cophbulls said:

I disagree with this....

Marist was the first game of the season with a young team and losing in 12 innings, thats baseball, that's going to happen, they won the other 2 so I say give them a pass there.

The NorthEastern series should have garnered at least a single win but NE was going to be a NCAA team. The Huskies were 10-5 before the season shut down with loses against 10-6 FAU, 9-6 W. Michigan (which itself was bizzare 17-16 game) and 3 losses against Alabama. Alabama was 16-1 before the season was cancelled. So the Huskies 5 losses were against teams that were a combined 35-13.

That leaves FAMU. Neither of those losses should have happened. That is correct. But look at our history with midweek games under Mohl. The last 3 yrs the Bulls are 13-13, even the 2018 NCAA tourney year they were only 6-5. Mohl doesn't care about those mid-week games (IMO) he uses them for experimentation, for practice, to get the Fr and So. on the field, in his mind I don't believe they really count in the standings. I am not saying this is a good mindset or not, just saying I think that's how he manages. We can't take mid-week games, wins or losses, into consideration when evaluating this team.

In conclusion, there were losses left on the field last year but in my estimation, at best, we would have 8 or 9 wins rather than the 6 we did have. But what i think matters not, hopefully we will get to see what will happen on the field rather than speculation in an admittedly biased mind. 

Well stated.   We really haven't had the pitching depth the past couple of seasons to be strong in the midweek games and compete in the important weekend series either which has probably prompted the experimentation and experience stance.   Also, we played as many as 5 or 6 freshman last season so growing pains were to be expected.  It was terribly pretty early on last year, but it wasn't as bad as someone might believe based on the record.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

45 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Well stated.   We really haven't had the pitching depth the past couple of seasons to be strong in the midweek games and compete in the important weekend series either which has probably prompted the experimentation and experience stance.   Also, we played as many as 5 or 6 freshman last season so growing pains were to be expected.  It was terribly pretty early on last year, but it wasn't as bad as someone might believe based on the record.

I'm assuming that someone is me, but you forgot to add all of the coaches in the AAC to mix as people who think last year wasn't going to start out poorly and finish well. Yes, preseason rankings are generally pretty ********, but you don't get overwhelmingly ranked last without a reason. Those guys who are professional college baseball coaches think we suck based on last year and what we have on the roster this year. We might surprise them and finish 6th or 7th in the conference instead of 9th. So... I guess that's an in your face?

Edited by JTrue

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

I'm assuming that someone is me,

No it really wasn't aimed at you.   It was a legitimate observation.   I think the record looks worse than it was, but that doesn't mean it is going to get better either if those young players don't step it up this year.   We also lost a couple pitchers after last season.   I don't overly care what the coaches think or don't think.  I mean Dabo voted Ohio State 11th in the coaches poll ..... oops!  🤣

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, chapelbull said:

No it really wasn't aimed at you.   It was a legitimate observation.   I think the record looks worse than it was, but that doesn't mean it is going to get better either if those young players don't step it up this year.   We also lost a couple pitchers after last season.   I don't overly care what the coaches think or don't think.  I mean Dabo voted Ohio State 11th in the coaches poll ..... oops!  🤣

And Spurrier threw Duke a vote every year of his coaching career.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

On 1/8/2021 at 9:46 PM, JTrue said:

And Spurrier threw Duke a vote every year of his coaching career.

I didnt quite like him as much after reading his book. Kinda petty. 

Only because recruiting was brought up. It can moved to the recruiting board if it needs to be 

Edited by BrassBulls12

1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Only because recruiting was brought up. It can moved to the recruiting board if it needs to be 

I'm not sure he ever steps on campus with that size and already touching 90.   I will be down in Ft Myers this weekend and it looks like he is playing.  I might pop over if I can find out when he is pitching.

6 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I'm not sure he ever steps on campus with that size and already touching 90.   I will be down in Ft Myers this weekend and it looks like he is playing.  I might pop over if I can find out when he is pitching.

He is only gonna get stronger for sure. Seems to stay in the zone pretty well. Small sample size though

Date Result Opponent IP H R ER BB K 2B 3B HR BF AB
Totals     17 17 12 8 6 20     2 77 70
Graph     [+] [+] [+] [+] [+] [+]     [+] [+] [+]
02/17 W 4-2 Parrish Community 6 4 2 2 1 6     0 24 22
02/28 L 4-9 Saint Stephen's Episcopal 5 9 7 5 1 8     2 26 25
03/06 L 0-10 Lakeland Christian 3 1 2 0 1 2     0 13 12
03/10 W 8-3 Carrollwood Day 3 3 1 1 3 4     0 14 11

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I assume all of this chatter is for next year? If so, would he still come if Billy is fired? Along with the possibility of him take a pro offer is this kid really coming here?