• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another fb player transferring out

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I agree, it's time to pay them. No, it's not the best for any non P5 school but I think one of the best versions I have heard was to make it a leveled based system. 

In others words there would only be so many prospects that could be given a scholarship with the most money per school. Say there's five levels, a G5 school could essentially offer more money to a prospect simply because he is higher on their board.

I don't think there is any real way to make it a even system. It is also not perfect, it opens questions about can a student move up once he has been there and so fourth.

I think once we get to the pay for play system it will accompany a P5 break off. 

Hold off on paying them for as long as you can, most will simply fold up shop once this becomes available, you need to have money to pay these kids.  The thought of paying our team after last year’s performance is nauseating and there just is not enough revenue to do this at most levels with the exception of the top tier.  If you pay FB than you have to pay MBB and on and on, the popularity of the sport will go the way of boxing as it makes itself completely irrelevant.  There is not a workable economic model where this is feasible IMO.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

26 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Hold off on paying them for as long as you can, most will simply fold up shop once this becomes available, you need to have money to pay these kids.  The thought of paying our team after last year’s performance is nauseating and there just is not enough revenue to do this at most levels with the exception of the top tier.  If you pay FB than you have to pay MBB and on and on, the popularity of the sport will go the way of boxing as it makes itself completely irrelevant.  There is not a workable economic model where this is feasible IMO.  

They are holding, but the dam is breaking. 

Again, there's no fair way to do it. But college sports isn't fair. It would have to be based on revenue and if your sport does not have a tv deal, you can rest assured, you aren't getting any money. Again, unfair. 

it would be very disadvantageous to the G5. The P5 would have the ability to do it with tv and conference funds and a little restructuring.   Whatever system is selected, it will be something that can be universally achieved by the P5 and capped. 

I think I would like to see a system where the athletic department selects a certain number of players that they plan to use in marketing and those players should be allowed to receive payments based on that. Then I would like to see all FBS athletes receive a payment from EA Sports for the next NCAA football game, but that's personal.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Keep in mind we are essentially already paying players with full cost of attendance plus allowances. I maintain what I said before-every student athlete should be able to sign marketing deals, although thinking about it further, they do need to not conflict with existing marketing contracts-IE you can't have a player endorse Winn Dixie when our corporate sponsor is Publix. 

For USF part of the issue is that marketing deals go through Vinik. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

39 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

They are holding, but the dam is breaking. 

Again, there's no fair way to do it. But college sports isn't fair. It would have to be based on revenue and if your sport does not have a tv deal, you can rest assured, you aren't getting any money. Again, unfair. 

I don’t think it is unfair but the women sports are going to raise holy hell, The revenue generated is used to prop up these other sports and if you use that to pay players how then do you prop up the other sports to comply with title IX.  One way or the other a lot of sports will disappear or be drastically reduced from collegiate sports.  I don’t really care, you could get rid of all of them but FB and MBB and I wouldn’t notice.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

26 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I don’t think it is unfair but the women sports are going to raise holy hell, The revenue generated is used to prop up these other sports and if you use that to pay players how then do you prop up the other sports to comply with title IX.  One way or the other a lot of sports will disappear or be drastically reduced from collegiate sports.  I don’t really care, you could get rid of all of them but FB and MBB and I wouldn’t notice.

Well you also have to consider there would have to be a restructuring at all levels, programs, conferences, bowls..etc. We are also not talking about giving them an extra 20k per year. It can be done. Simply allowing them to cash in on marketing deals is a good way to the kids paid without touching the programs bottom line. As someone pointed out before, within reason. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,457
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

For USF part of the issue is that marketing deals go through Vinik. 

And marketing still SUCKS. USF can't even keep their own web sites updated. 

Front page of USFBulls.com - Eight quarters into the Charlie Strong era... 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

And USF still wouldn't have the money to pay because donors like "I'm not contributing until that dude becomes at least a 2nd team all American".  And once that happens it would be "until he's first team All-American" and then "3rd round NFL draft pick".  

Point being I don't see how paying players works out well for USF.

If college payed players directly I assume they would be staff employees at that point that just work for the school. Being a student should be optional once it's an actual job which makes me think the 4 year eligibility thing would go out the window. I think college football would collapse if that happens.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,351

11 hours ago, jchem1995 said:

Wow. Hope we got a plan.

Can Jim Leavitt transfer back in and stop this train wreck.

1 hour ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

To keep more guys from leaving, they should paint the exit door to look like an end zone.  These guys would never find it.

You are like 5 steps ahead of CJS.

Edited by Outlaw

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,351

8 hours ago, GVLPalmettoBull said:

And another one

Best of luck. I honestly don't seem him getting drafted but I hope he can make a team and cash in. HE was the most exciting QB we had this year by far.