• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hack job by the Tampa Times?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

On 11/28/2020 at 12:02 AM, hm101 said:

Just got called out by WIll Turner too for the poor choice of language. 

Look, it's not the media's job to be fans, that's our job, but this is by almost every quantitative fact you can pull about this game, false. As in not true. Almost everything about this game actually leads TO hope about the future. 

I just started following Turner, I think he has been the best at covering the team this year. 

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I get that USF football hasn't done much after 2017, but I'm floored that the Times still hasn't named a new USF beat writer. The Times can do this because of our generally ambivalent fan base. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,869
  • Days Won:  67

11 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

I get that USF football hasn't done much after 2017, but I'm floored that the Times still hasn't named a new USF beat writer. The Times can do this because of our generally ambivalent fan base. 

Kinda contradicting yourself, I am not floored because the fan base is ambivalent?  What are you saying, the Times is trash and we are as well right now so I kinda get it, both entities are bleeding cash.  

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

On 12/2/2020 at 8:52 PM, Friscobull said:

Kinda contradicting yourself, I am not floored because the fan base is ambivalent?  What are you saying, the Times is trash and we are as well right now so I kinda get it, both entities are bleeding cash.  

I actually like the Times and find its existence essential to keeping our local governments a bit more honest. With regard to their coverage of USF, it was great during the Greg Auman years. I don't think Knight broke as many stories. Despite that, I still found Knight's re-assignment, during the USF FB season, insulting. The Times, however, can get away with it without much local complaint, since our fan base is pretty apathetic. I don't see my comment as contradictory at all.

Even if the Gators were stinking it up, I don't think the Times would pull a beat writer during their football season. It's quite indicative of what our local paper thinks of USF FB and its fans when it leaves us without a beat writer mid-FB season.

Edited by Paisa el Toro
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

2020 FOOTBALL  bulls were our worst team ever

there is no problem saying it out loud

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,345
  • Days Won:  5

On 12/2/2020 at 8:37 PM, Paisa el Toro said:

Last week there were three articles in the TImes about USF. I didn't read them just the column titles, paraphrasing but something like this: USF should remember what type of school they are... USF had better prayed this is their worst football season... and USF finishes with a loss at home to UCF again. **** the Times. The Times goes way out of the way to keep negative things spewing in Tampa about USF. Someone there has an axe to grind and they do it daily.

Edited by Triple B
Profanity filter get around

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,582
  • Days Won:  423

2 hours ago, jchem1995 said:

Last week there were three articles in the TImes about USF. I didn't read them just the column titles, paraphrasing but something like this: USF should remember what type of school they are... USF had better prayed this is their worst football season... and USF finishes with a loss at home to UCF again. **** the Times. The Times goes way out of the way to keep negative things spewing in Tampa about USF. Someone there has an axe to grind and they do it daily.

Not sure where you were looking but there were more than three, including an article about Ford leaving team and numerous ones about MBB/WBB.

And attempts to get around the profanity filter can do some harm to board's advertising ventures.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

On 12/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, smazza said:

It's true.  I hope there is some excitement next year.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

On 12/2/2020 at 7:37 PM, Paisa el Toro said:

Be interesting to see who covers signing day? 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

On 12/4/2020 at 7:36 AM, smazza said:

:Shhhh: if you dont say it out loud then it didnt happen. we dont want everyone to know....

But seriously, with the state of our program right now( yes we have potential to be hopeful about) I imagine covering the Bull's isn't the best duty for a writer. Then...just let them write something that this board doesn't like...holy shat all hell will break loose. Since we are rebuilding I think the new young gal Marti might be a good bet. She writes with some optimism. Basically, a sports writer just replays the game and stats in an article. Maybe she would get interested in USF(I know she's a gator). She's starting out..Were starting out..might be a good match for a while until we claw our way back up into relevance??? So say me.