• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I have a new worst "thing ever" in mind.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, Gatorbull325 said:

NOPE I kept count of the positive threads. I even talked trash about how quiet the board got once we started winning. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

8 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I've told this story in the past but since we are dragging up bad memories........   First event to meet CCS was at Ulele's when they put the big tent up.  Iron Bulls had a small pre-party in their brewery.  We were hanging with this one couple and the woman had just had knee replacement so they were getting to leave before CCS even arrived. As we were walking with them CCS shows up.  She apologized and explained that she couldn't stay because of her knee.  His response, "I wish I didn't have to stay".  Nice way to meet the donors.  Was down on him from the beginning. He never showed up at the annual Iron Bull event on the Starship or at the Muma's.  Always "He's at practice". Yet the coaches from just about every other sport found the time.  And people wonder why he didn't make it at Texas (besides losing to Kansas).

That's why he loses to Kansas, that mentality doesn't stop at donor events.   With the exception of maybe a few crazy intense coaches who may not have the time for said events (a Belichek comes to mind), if you are too lazy to shake a few hands and enjoy some free appetizers once in awhile then you are going to be too lazy to put in the extra time in the film room or on the recruiting trail

2 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

NOPE, I counted the positive threads. I even talked trash about how quiet the board got once we started winning. 

You need a hobby ...... 😁

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,528
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

That's why he loses to Kansas, that mentality doesn't stop at donor events.   With the exception of maybe a few crazy intense coaches who may not have the time for said events (a Belichek comes to mind), if you are too lazy to shake a few hands and enjoy some free appetizers once in awhile then you are going to be too lazy to put in the extra time in the film room or on the recruiting trail

You need a hobby ...... 😁

Bruh....I spent 2 years of this board chitting on taggart and WHINING, and then once we started winning people got quiet....it is what is. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,442
  • Days Won:  19

7 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I've told this story in the past but since we are dragging up bad memories........   First event to meet CCS was at Ulele's when they put the big tent up.  Iron Bulls had a small pre-party in their brewery.  We were hanging with this one couple and the woman had just had knee replacement so they were getting to leave before CCS even arrived. As we were walking with them CCS shows up.  She apologized and explained that she couldn't stay because of her knee.  His response, "I wish I didn't have to stay".  Nice way to meet the donors.  Was down on him from the beginning. He never showed up at the annual Iron Bull event on the Starship or at the Muma's.  Always "He's at practice". Yet the coaches from just about every other sport found the time.  And people wonder why he didn't make it at Texas (besides losing to Kansas).

CR, we could fill a book with anecdotal stories of coaches who felt they were just too good to be at USF even though they never proved it here.  Anybody who was around during the Lee Rose era can probably chip in a few stories.  It seems endemic in USF's athletic culture that so many coaches, players, staff, donors and fans want -- nay expect -- the bigger better deal without the commitment, sacrifice or the sweat equity investment it requires.  I think this may be one of the reasons why so many still cling so lovingly to memories of The Jim.  He was one coach who really was invested in USF, had a vision, was willing to bust his butt to achieve it and was just crazy enough to believe it could be done.  Whether he would reached the mountain top had he stayed longer, we will never know.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

We all really need to stop looking at the past...in so many ways it prevents us from achieving the dynamic of moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Gatorbull325 said:

NOPE, I counted the positive threads. I even talked trash about how quiet the board got once we started winning. 

Joey??

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

We all really need to stop looking at the past...in so many ways it prevents us from achieving the dynamic of moving forward. 

If people only focused on the USF of today there would be no one left why begrudge people of the happy moments that keep them coming back? There is nothing the fans can do to improve our station and if it hurts the feelings of the stewards of our current path that every other era is held in higher regard they should probably do something about being the absolute worst by every measure that we have seen.

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

If people only focused on the USF of today there would be no one left why begrudge people of the happy moments that keep them coming back? There is nothing the fans can do to improve our station and if it hurts the feelings of the stewards of our current path that every other era is held in higher regard they should probably do something about being the absolute worst by every measure that we have seen.

But by looking at the past consistently it facilitates a mentality of not moving forward. Sure it’s nice to recollect and recall fondly, but when it’s done ad nauseam every day it does trivialize that success and creates a degree of satisfaction and complacency...perhaps it’s ok for fans on this board but hopefully the athletic department does not do what many of you do on this board. 

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But by looking at the past consistently it facilitates a mentality of not moving forward. Sure it’s nice to recollect and recall fondly, but when it’s done ad nauseam every day it does trivialize that success and creates a degree of satisfaction and complacency...perhaps it’s ok for fans on this board but hopefully the athletic department does not do what many of you do on this board. 

I personally think they would be better served by looking back at the past and learning a thing or two about how to be successful here, if anything I think not enough time is spent on reflection when our newest mercenaries come in and they do not recognize that success is actually possible and that roadmaps have been provided on how to get there. I guess it is nice to live in the eternal sunshine of a spotless mind but for those of us that have seen this movie before it gets a bit frustrating living in Groundhog Day and always waking up to being in year 0 of a perpetual three year rebuild.

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I personally think they would be better served by looking back at the past and learning a thing or two about how to be successful here, if anything I think not enough time is spent on reflection when our newest mercenaries come in and they do not recognize that success is actually possible and that roadmaps have been provided on how to get there. I guess it is nice to live in the eternal sunshine of a spotless mind but for those of us that have seen this movie before it gets a bit frustrating living in Groundhog Day and always waking up to being in year 0 of a perpetual three year rebuild.

Totally disagree. The model from the past would not work relative to our current conference, finances, and culture. In terms of Groundhog Day that is what you people are living in today...it’s done and is no longer real.