• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF FB probably back on campus by Monday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

39 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

Brother puc, I don't understand your position.  For the old and addled, please lay it out.  Are you saying that you knew all along that this was nothing and that people are sheep or lemmings for following what they were told to do and they should have known it, too?  Now, I have known you to, on occasion, adopt a contrarian position, but I can't seem to nail this one down.  I also haven't medicated yet, so if you want to wait a few minutes...😊

I often find myself on the opposite side of the majority and maybe am a bit hyperbolic in my positions but they most typical are my actual opinions (just sometimes on steroids). My position is that doctors often take the most risk adverse stance, politicians often take the safest positions but what balances it all out is that people in America typically tell them to pound salt and refuse to be more than mildly inconvenienced from their typical lives. For what ever reason this time everyone said just do whatever you have to try to make me as safe as possible which encouraged those they were looking to for answers to have them even if often times there was no science behind them.

Edited by puc86
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,348
  • Days Won:  10

9 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I often find myself on the opposite side of the majority and maybe am a bit hyperbolic in my positions but they most typical are my actual opinions (just sometimes on steroids). My position is that doctors often take the most risk adverse stance, politicians often take the safest positions but what balances it all out is that people in America typically tell them to pound salt and refuse to be more than mildly inconvenienced from their typical lives. For what ever reason this time everyone said just do whatever you have to try to make me as safe as possible which encouraged those they were looking to for answers to have them even if often times there was no science behind them.

Thanks.  This may have scared more people than you think and that fear helped with compliance.  And, yeah, shining a UV light up someone's butt to cure Covid is one of those answers you describe.

28 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

Thanks.  This may have scared more people than you think and that fear helped with compliance.  And, yeah, shining a UV light up someone's butt to cure Covid is one of those answers you describe.

It makes about as much sense as using lock down measures in places with little to no spread, having people wear Tshirts on their faces and worrying to death about asymptomatic transmission (all of which had zero scientific evidence to support it). 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,115
  • Days Won:  56

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

Sure is there one now that people waited? How long until we expect one to get mass distributes? You expect people to wait that long? Lock down measures have one known practical use and that is to slow things down when hospitals approach or surpass their capacity, which never was the case for most the country sans NYC where it was appropriately used (although even Cuomo questions if it had the desired results).

Which is easy to say after people were locked down.  I mean if we didn't lock down we don't know how many more would have been sick/died.  I agree with you that we can't do it forever but it did seem to nip it in the bud.

8 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

This whole thing will be a mess this season.

8 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Which is easy to say after people were locked down.  I mean if we didn't lock down we don't know how many more would have been sick/died.  I agree with you that we can't do it forever but it did seem to nip it in the bud.

This whole thing will be a mess this season.

The flatten the curve graph specifically shows us that no more people get infected with intervention vs no intervention at all and if it saves lives it is only by allowing people to get hospital care that would otherwise not be able to if the hospitals are over run. When you intervene and do not allow hospitals to get anywhere near capacity the only thing you actually accomplish is squandering a resource that cannot be carried over to the future ( the same reason hotelstonight and priceline exist because a hotel room much like a hospital bed is worthless if it is not used that day).

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

The flatten the curve graph specifically shows us that no more people get infected with intervention vs no intervention at all and if it saves lives it is only by allowing people to get hospital care that would otherwise not be able to if the hospitals are over run. When you intervene and do not allow hospitals to get anywhere near capacity the only thing you actually accomplish is squandering a resource that cannot be carried over to the future ( the same reason hotelstonight and priceline exist because a hotel room much like a hospital bed is worthless if it is not used that day).

Again, the delay gives a chance to find something to help along with having beds available.

2 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Again, the delay gives a chance to find something to help along with having beds available.

Well it has been half a year what have we found to help beyond having the hospital bed available?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

The flatten the curve graph specifically shows us that no more people get infected with intervention vs no intervention at all

Can you post where this flatten the curve thing is. Keep hearing about it but not real familiar with it ...

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

and if it saves lives it is only by allowing people to get hospital care that would otherwise not be able to if the hospitals are over run.

And just to be clear, any time you can save lives is a good thing, right? You're just saying that it's not really justified in this case because of what it's done to people and the economy?

10 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Can you post where this flatten the curve thing is. Keep hearing about it but not real familiar with it ...

And just to be clear, any time you can save lives is a good thing, right? You're just saying that it's not really justified in this case because of what it's done to people and the economy?

Here is a rudimentary one but one of the earlier ones. 

4996AAE6-37FE-49E6-890A-3772ECD48616.jpeg