• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF FB probably back on campus by Monday

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

37 minutes ago, puc86 said:

That producing and distributing an effective vaccine takes a year and a half, the lockdowns cannot be sustained that long, more than that many people will still get it, the delay was of no benefit to them unless they lived in NYC, Italy or a handful of other places where the hospitalization capacity was actually stretched so wasting the resources in order to just delay their infection to a time when their hospitals may actually push capacity bounds was just a foolish waste of time to delay the inevitable.

First, before asking my question, I want to apologize for not keeping up with you on this because, to be brutally honest, some of your posts are like white noise to me.

How are you saying this should have been handled from the beginning?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

14 minutes ago, Triple B said:

First, before asking my question, I want to apologize for not keeping up with you on this because, to be brutally honest, some of your posts are like white noise to me.

How are you saying this should have been handled from the beginning?

Well that is not very nice, Doctors should have made their typical doom and gloom you are going to die around every corner predictions, politicians should have taken their typical this is interesting lets warn people and do some polling responses and then people should have said "ya thanks but no thanks I will wash my hands, try to stay a few feet apart, not shake hands and maybe wear a mask (even though right now you are telling me not to) but I am not shutting down my life completely and demanding everyone else around me does too". Shutdowns in places where hospitals were not approaching capacity have no root in science, they never have  and they never will and they were a waste that will reduce peoples willingness to do so in actual times of need and have created backlash against more reasonable solutions that may have actually had a tangible benefit. The universal shutdown was nothing short of a complete and total policy fail that came at huge cost while providing no tangible benefit, people can continue to pretend their efforts were heroic but it is driven far more by hysteria than facts. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I said treatment/vaccine.  

Cool, so what treatments have been created in this time or are on the cusp of breakthrough and how long can I expect to wait for an appropriate treatment and vaccine for another corona virus, the common cold?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

33 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Cool, so what treatments have been created in this time or are on the cusp of breakthrough and how long can I expect to wait for an appropriate treatment and vaccine for another corona virus, the common cold?

I know they are closer than they were.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

43 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Have you had trouble finding treatments for the common cold before now? My Publix has shelves full of options to treat the symptoms.

Edited by JTrue

11 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Have you had trouble finding treatments for the common cold before now? My Publix has shelves full of options to treat the symptoms.

Those exact things still do the exact same things for Covid (which has a lot of the same symptoms), treating a symptom =/= treating the disease. 

22 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I know they are closer than they were.

Fair enough but that certainly does not translate into ~60 million people being spared infection in any way shape or form. 

Just now, puc86 said:

Those exact things still do the exact same things for Covid (which has a lot of the same symptoms), treating a symptom =/= treating the disease. 

Symantics. If Covid causes my lungs to fail, I don't give a **** about "treating the disease" vs. "treating the symptom" if the treatment keeps me from dying due to lung failure. 

2 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Symantics. If Covid causes my lungs to fail, I don't give a **** about "treating the disease" vs. "treating the symptom" if the treatment keeps me from dying due to lung failure. 

So how do we treat lung failure typically? It would be the same regardless of disease if you cannot figure out how to stop the disease (which will just lead to continued lung failure). The treatment of Covid symptoms for the vast majority of symptomatic people (which is already the minority) would be the same cold and flu medicine you are touting  the problem remains for that same small subsection of people with severe symptoms with a cold or flu that their body cannot shake it and we cannot seem to figure out why or how to stop it. 

19 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So how do we treat lung failure typically? It would be the same regardless of disease if you cannot figure out how to stop the disease (which will just lead to continued lung failure). The treatment of Covid symptoms for the vast majority of symptomatic people (which is already the minority) would be the same cold and flu medicine you are touting  the problem remains for that same small subsection of people with severe symptoms with a cold or flu that their body cannot shake it and we cannot seem to figure out why or how to stop it. 

I don't know what the argument is here. We've never in the history of the world cured a virus. Our only two options have always been, keep it under control by managing the symptoms until the body can fight it off or vaccinate. So why would we be trying to "stop" the virus now, all of sudden. Every single person who goes into the hospital with Covid, the medical team is trying to treat the symptoms and keep the person alive and healthy enough for the virus to run its course. 

You can't even kind of, sort, possibly, argue that medical staff aren't better off today to fight the disease than they were in February or March. Here, I'll use your arch nemesis facts to show you what I mean.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200506/turning-patients-prone-helps-fight-covid-19#1

Here is an example of how medical staff typically treated people in January or February that presented certain respiratory symptoms. However, it was discovered that a different method was a more successful treatment for Covid patients. So, if I went into an NYC hospital in January, my chances of survival were undeniably lower than they are today in June. Not because anyone has treated the virus, they are better at treating this symptom.

Edited by JTrue