• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF FB probably back on campus by Monday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

Right.  There wasn't time.  I believe everyone did the best that they could and I would need proof that the doctors are wrong.  It's too early for that.  The policymakers, If I understand you, should have tempered the draconian measures from the scientists and, with no knowledge of this brand new disease and with dire forecasts, should have put their careers and the lives of others on the line to tell us that it is not going to be necessary to follow them.

Put simply, doctors are telling individuals how they can live their lives.  This rankles those  who treasure their individual freedoms.  I do.  But this is not simple and cannot be seen as addressing individuals.  We interact too much and are far too self-centered to trust each other to keep OTHERS safe.  I just came from Publix for the bi-weekly shopping.  I am obviously disabled, wear a mask, keep away from others and yet constantly have unmasked people walking up and standing next to me for small talk.  It doesn't matter if they believe  that they will not get it, it matters to me that they don't spread it to others especially the most vulnerable.  But, in general, most people care about themselves and that's it.  They think that it's all over now.  It's like, "Haven't you heard?  They called it off!"

On a positive note, most people kept discipline a lot longer than I forecast.  Americans are not big on being told what to do and generally don't stand for inconveniences.

Puc, I think you are using a whole lot of hindsight and making judgments when all the facts are not in.  There could be information coming that would make the scientists look like geniuses.  We don't know yet.  Let's just wait before the debrief.

I didn’t say policy makers I said the people and I am not using hindsight I am saying the exact same things I have said from the very beginning and every single thing I have said is now being slowly accepted as truth as the science is starting to accept the data.

We had pretty close to perfect scientific studies from early on, they were called cruise ships (which just had to be normalized for actual demographics since they slant older) but instead we had to pretend that people self selecting to get tested represented normal population samples even though the rules for getting tested required there to be a reasonable chance you were sick (which dismissed the mildly sick and the completely symptom free people that make the mortality rate better than the flu for most of the population). Then the for absolutely no explicable reason we pretended that this disease unlike the vast majority was mostly spread by symptom free people and would have led to every single person on a cruise ship being infected (which never happened).

Doctors tell you to not drink, not smoke, don’t do drugs, done have unprotected sex, eat better, exercise more, get 8 hours of sleep, take every medication on the market etc. and then it’s our responsibility to laugh say “okay doc” and then walk out the door say “**** that noise” and try maybe a few of the suggestions for a week or two.  Why this was the first time in most people’s lives they decided to only be able to do things doctors say I will never know but I think we should have all learned by now why we have never done it before (even for things that are actual science and not simply reactionary hunches or better safe than sorry nonsense).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

I didn’t say policy makers I said the people and I am not using hindsight I am saying the exact same things I have said from the very beginning and every single thing I have said is now being slowly accepted as truth as the science is starting to accept the data.

We had pretty close to perfect scientific studies from early on, they were called cruise ships (which just had to be normalized for actual demographics since they slant older) but instead we had to pretend that people self selecting to get tested represented normal population samples even though the rules for getting tested required there to be a reasonable chance you were sick (which dismissed the mildly sick and the completely symptom free people that make the mortality rate better than the flu for most of the population). Then the for absolutely no explicable reason we pretended that this disease unlike the vast majority was mostly spread by symptom free people and would have led to every single person on a cruise ship being infected (which never happened).

Doctors tell you to not drink, not smoke, don’t do drugs, done have unprotected sex, eat better, exercise more, get 8 hours of sleep, take every medication on the market etc. and then it’s our responsibility to laugh say “okay doc” and then walk out the door say “**** that noise” and try maybe a few of the suggestions for a week or two.  Why this was the first time in most people’s lives they decided to only be able to do things doctors say I will never know but I think we should have all learned by now why we have never done it before (even for things that are actual science and not simply reactionary hunches or better safe than sorry nonsense).

Because Coronavirus lockdowns prevented 60M infections in US.

• ???? 1

11 minutes ago, CPR said:

48 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Delayed does not mean prevented and those people are still just as susceptible to  getting the virus as they were 3 months ago. Also correlation does not mean causation and the paper fails to address how places that did not implement the same measures did not continue on the exponential growth model this analysis assumes would have happened completely ignoring the fact that things tend to plateau and that some places have lower plateaus while others have higher based on weather, population density and reliance on mass transit ( most of America is not NYC and Chicago and have much lower ceilings for exponential spread as demonstrated that we still have Covid, people are mostly running around with reckless abandonment and the numbers are not exponentially growing unchecked anywhere but I’m sure it’s just another two weeks away).

Edited by puc86
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,419
  • Days Won:  25

Can we have some practice football  soon to argue about?

• Upvote 2

And one more thing that study is from March during the height of the Covid will kill us all paranoia and almost everything "known" about the virus at that time has now been debunked which is probably why it ignores that there was no exponential spread in places that did not lock down and there has been no exponential spread in anywhere that has opened up. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2404-8_reference.pdf Their graphs are however quite pretty and plentiful even if they have zero rooting in reality.  

12 minutes ago, TheGreatOutlaw said:

Can we have some practice football  soon to argue about?

It is more fun to delve into an existential look at if it should even exist in the first place. 

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Delayed does not mean prevented and those people are still just as susceptible to  getting the virus as they were 3 months ago. Also correlation does not mean causation and the paper fails to address how places that did not implement the same measures did not continue on the exponential growth model this analysis assumes would have happened completely ignoring the fact that things tend to plateau and that some places have lower plateaus while others have higher based on weather, population density and reliance on mass transit ( most of America is not NYC and Chicago and have much lower ceilings for exponential spread as demonstrated that we still have Covid, people are mostly running around with reckless abandonment and the numbers are not exponentially growing unchecked anywhere but I’m sure it’s just another two weeks away).

So delaying until there is some treatment or vaccine is a bad thing?  Or hospital rooms perhaps?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,348
  • Days Won:  10

Brother puc, I don't understand your position.  For the old and addled, please lay it out.  Are you saying that you knew all along that this was nothing and that people are sheep or lemmings for following what they were told to do and they should have known it, too?  Now, I have known you to, on occasion, adopt a contrarian position, but I can't seem to nail this one down.  I also haven't medicated yet, so if you want to wait a few minutes...😊

44 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

So delaying until there is some treatment or vaccine is a bad thing?  Or hospital rooms perhaps?

Sure is there one now that people waited? How long until we expect one to get mass distributes? You expect people to wait that long? Lock down measures have one known practical use and that is to slow things down when hospitals approach or surpass their capacity, which never was the case for most the country sans NYC where it was appropriately used (although even Cuomo questions if it had the desired results).