• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

California Governor signs law ; pay for play.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,355
  • Days Won:  5

So it looks like the dominos will start to fall as players will be able to profit off themselves. What does this mean for USF? 

Ill start, might just light a fire under those who want to make money. Imagine what Flowers and Mack could have gotten. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

College sports is done. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

The end of college football is near ...

Perhaps putting the funds in a trust spread equitably across the entire team could still work though.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,261
  • Days Won:  1

One option the ncaa could use is to allow a percentage of Jersey sales for each player to be put into a trust fund where the player doesn’t get the money until they either graduate or forfeit their remaining eligibility. One thing the ncaa would have to figure out with that is how to handle transfers but it would be one way to handle this

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,327

Isn't a full ride enough for these kids? Student debt is a massive problem and graduating with ZERO puts them way ahead financially than the average student. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The problem is boosters will pay the athletes for their endorsements in the recruiting wars, and they will pay a lot. 

Now the recruits will have agents and the environment will be another pro league. Might as well go straight to the NFL.

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280

They should 100% pay college athletes

A "college degree" is a joke. 99% of the "college degrees" athletes get are a joke, 99% of the degrees that people get from USF are a joke. I have three of them, I know more than anyone

College athletes are ADULTS, they are over 18, they are participating in a "product", the "product" makes huge amounts of money, and they 100% should be paid. 

Look at the list of the degrees USF offers... maybe a dozen of them, actually map to anything going on in the real world. And most college athletes, aren't exactly taking Engineering classes, or Accounting classes, or in the college of Medicine. They have to "short cut" their college education to make time for the athletics

Read this list of nonsense-

https://usfweb.usf.edu/academics/undergraduate-majors.aspx

Interdisciplinary Social Sciences? General Studies? Marketing (my degree btw)?

Pay them... pay them what's fair and pay them for what they bring to the university as a product. "They get a free edgur-curtion" is just nonsense

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, MikePhillips said:

They should 100% pay college athletes

A "college degree" is a joke. 99% of the "college degrees" athletes get are a joke, 99% of the degrees that people get from USF are a joke. I have three of them, I know more than anyone

College athletes are ADULTS, they are over 18, they are participating in a "product", the "product" makes huge amounts of money, and they 100% should be paid. 

Look at the list of the degrees USF offers... maybe a dozen of them, actually map to anything going on in the real world. And most college athletes, aren't exactly taking Engineering classes, or Accounting classes, or in the college of Medicine. They have to "short cut" their college education to make time for the athletics

Read this list of nonsense-

https://usfweb.usf.edu/academics/undergraduate-majors.aspx

Interdisciplinary Social Sciences? General Studies? Marketing (my degree btw)?

Pay them... pay them what's fair and pay them for what they bring to the university as a product. "They get a free edgur-curtion" is just nonsense

Do they pay them instead of giving them scholarship? I’d say pick one. The scholarship is worth more than these kids could get on a free market salary.

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

16 minutes ago, Bull Nut said:

Isn't a full ride enough for these kids? Student debt is a massive problem and graduating with ZERO puts them way ahead financially than the average student. 

No it's not. These guys are working 16 hours a day between practice and studies, so no, a scholarship worth at most 16k a year is not enough. Let's not forget that they will face potential injury issues down the road that the average student won't have to face. 

I fully approve of this model, these students are legally adults, for the most part they had choices on where they could choose to play college football, so it's time to stop pretending that it's the school's name was the sole reason they are marketable. 

If anything my hope is that this will increase competition for the starting 22 as only those who are regularly on the field will be able to sign marketing deals. People would be much more likely if a product was marketed by Quinton Flowers or Rodney Adams rather than say, DeAngelo Antoine. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1