• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Blake Barnett...the professional

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 minutes ago, MikeG said:

Very true-- what he wrote that was a little alarming to me was seeing that he was a Gaither HS player. You would think USF/Taggart would have been a little more interested from the local recruiting angle. 

maybe but McGough had interest from FIU and Colgate. wasn't really sought after by anyone.

Flowers signed in the same class and had interest from Nebraska, Florida, etc. maybe he promised him he wouldn't sign another QB.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

5 hours ago, lotsofbull99 said:

No, I'm just disappointed in your low expectations for this great USF Football program.  What would CJL do?

Funny you should mention that guy...CJL is the epitome of working with what you have vs forcing a scheme that doesn't fit your skill set. Expecting your players to be something they're not = L. Working with them to maximize the existing skills leads to wins. I'm not sure Gilbert ever got that, but I'm glad CWT eventually did. For me, jury's still out on Strong but I like where it's going.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

1 hour ago, raptorcj said:

Funny you should mention that guy...CJL is the epitome of working with what you have vs forcing a scheme that doesn't fit your skill set. Expecting your players to be something they're not = L. Working with them to maximize the existing skills leads to wins. I'm not sure Gilbert ever got that, but I'm glad CWT eventually did. For me, jury's still out on Strong but I like where it's going.

wow -- you are a diehard supporter then.

I guess we might as well support the guy seeing as he isn't going anywhere soon because his contract has us shackled to him apparently. I'm not a fan of his methods or whatever he calls it. I wish I could stop worrying about him finding a new way to send this team in the wrong direction. I don't care how the sausage is being made at this point-- I would simply like to see us winning and competing at a higher level. If we keep McCloud in there-- that might solve many of the problems. There are just a lot of problem areas that concern me.

4 minutes ago, MikeG said:
1 hour ago, raptorcj said:

wow -- you are a diehard supporter then.

I guess we might as well support the guy seeing as he isn't going anywhere soon because his contract has us shackled to him apparently. I'm not a fan of his methods or whatever he calls it. I wish I could stop worrying about him finding a new way to send this team in the wrong direction. I don't care how the sausage is being made at this point-- I would simply like to see us winning and competing at a higher level. If we keep McCloud in there-- that might solve many of the problems. There are just a lot of problem areas that concern me.

Trust me, I'm well aware I'm in the minority and it may well not work out with CCS, but I like that he's not just sitting back and hoping everything works out like he planned before the season started. He's making & allowing changes to figure out what works with our kids, and we pulled away. One FCS game is not enough to predict conference play, though, so we'll see if the strategy pans out and we can play around those problem areas. That's something not even the great CJL was able to do, and he was sacked for it (IMO).

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

3 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Trust me, I'm well aware I'm in the minority and it may well not work out with CCS, but I like that he's not just sitting back and hoping everything works out like he planned before the season started. He's making & allowing changes to figure out what works with our kids, and we pulled away. One FCS game is not enough to predict conference play, though, so we'll see if the strategy pans out and we can play around those problem areas. That's something not even the great CJL was able to do, and he was sacked for it (IMO).

I really wish you had ended your reply before that last sentence. Comparing any coach to CJL is getting really tired for me. It was a different time, different players, different situation-- it is simply history. And don't get me started talking about the reasons they canned Leavitt or even the comparisons of his conference results. Please. I'm begging you.

8 hours ago, MikeG said:
8 hours ago, raptorcj said:

I really wish you had ended your reply before that last sentence. Comparing any coach to CJL is getting really tired for me. It was a different time, different players, different situation-- it is simply history. And don't get me started talking about the reasons they canned Leavitt or even the comparisons of his conference results. Please. I'm begging you.

Yeah definitely a polarizing topic. Sorry for the inadvertent click bait, but CJL was brought into it a few posts earlier. The Jim is awesome, but even back to what some consider our golden years, we had significant problem areas that he was unable to cover.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

9 hours ago, MikeG said:

CJL will always be the standard by which all others are judged.  You can't change that.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743

23 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Yeah definitely a polarizing topic. Sorry for the inadvertent click bait, but CJL was brought into it a few posts earlier. The Jim is awesome, but even back to what some consider our golden years, we had significant problem areas that he was unable to cover.

You're right, The Jim was awesome.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, lotsofbull99 said:

You're right, The Jim was awesome.

Best slapper in USF football history 😂😂

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Best slapper in USF football history 😂😂

He was also tops at interfering with internal investigations.

Sure he could have apologized and stayed forever, done anger management, but nope, chose his hill to die on and made sure he did.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2