• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Blake Barnett...the professional

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Yep. That’s exactly what I did. Took me about 8 seconds.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

I wonder who told JK this tidbit.

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

From the looks of the stats it looks like he was a wildcat "qb"  only way it makes sense to play in 4 games and only have 6 carries and 1 pass in that time.  Also makes sense as he also had a reception  and was playing DB as well.  

Or, he was a backup QB who also played another position. Entirely plausible as a Fr. or So. Got brought in during a few blowouts and just ran the ball or took a knee. In any event, he was definitely a QB and I'm sure got some coaching those couple years. It's not like he just picked up a ball one day and got the start. Reminds me of the "Mike White only started playing football his senior year" threads. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

7 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Or, he was a backup QB who also played another position. Entirely plausible as a Fr. or So. Got brought in during a few blowouts and just ran the ball or took a knee. In any event, he was definitely a QB and I'm sure got some coaching those couple years. It's not like he just picked up a ball one day and got the start. Reminds me of the "Mike White only started playing football his senior year" threads. 

Possible as well, but I have heard the same "he's new to playing QB" thing said when he signed from somebody on one of the premium boards that is very plugged into the Hillsborough high school football scene.  Considering it's a bye week you would think if this was true a good beat reporter would write a story about that journey instead of, well, whatever it is that Joey has been doing this week.    

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

From the looks of the stats it looks like he was a wildcat "qb"  only way it makes sense to play in 4 games and only have 6 carries and 1 pass in that time.  Also makes sense as he also had a reception  and was playing DB as well.  

8 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Or, he played another position and was brought in as a wildcat qb on occasion his freshman year. He was listed as an ATH on Sickles roster that freshman year. Sophomore year listed as a RB but no offensive stats at all, only defensive ones. Looks like just a gifted athlete that they used where they needed him his first two years but then focused him at QB his junior year so JK is a lot more right than wrong with what he said ....

13 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Possible as well, but I have heard the same "he's new to playing QB" thing said when he signed from somebody on one of the premium boards that is very plugged into the Hillsborough high school football scene.  Considering it's a bye week you would think if this was true a good beat reporter would write a story about that journey instead of, well, whatever it is that Joey has been doing this week.    

I've got no beef with the idea/statement that he's new to playing QB or that it only recently became his primary position. But having done a little bit of HS coaching, that's like having a kid who threw an inning or two on the varsity as Fr. and So., then became a full-time starter as Jr. and Sr. and someone trying to tell me he "just started pitching his Jr. year." Maybe football is different, but I'd never take a kid playing some other position and just drop him on the mound with zero coaching/practice time/bullpens. If a kid threw even an inning for me, I was at least partially coaching him on the mound.

Edited by JTrue

3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I've got no beef with the idea/statement that he's new to playing QB or that it only recently became his primary position. But having done a little bit of HS coaching, that's like having a kid who threw an inning or two on the varsity as Fr. and So., then became a full-time starter as Jr. and Sr. and someone trying to tell me he "just started pitching his Jr. year." Maybe football is different, but I'd never take a kid playing some other position and just drop him on the mound with zero coaching/practice time/bullpens. If a kid threw even an inning for me, I was at least partially coaching him on the mound.

He would have a package that he ran of maybe 3-4 plays.  We did it with our slot receiver at my high school who was basically DJ and played everywhere.  The kid never worked with the QB's in individuals beyond taking shotgun snaps from the center. All the work was literally installing those plays in team periods and scrimmage stuff 

Edited by Bull Dozer

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

He would have a package that he ran of may 3-4 plays.  We did it with our slot receiver at my high school who was basically DJ.  The kid never worked with the QB's beyond taking shotgun snaps from the center.   

I guess there's the difference in the two sports. It would never even occur to me to just hand a kid a ball on the mound and say, "Good luck. You look like you can throw."

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

I guess there's the difference in the two sports. It would never even occur to me to just hand a kid a ball on the mound and say, "Good luck. You look like you can throw."

Yeah it's a tough comparison because of the inherent differences.   Set plays means you know exactly what you are responsible for to get the desired result where as being a pitcher is a far more open ended process to get there.  

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

Yeah it's a tough comparison because of the inherent differences.   Set plays means you know exactly what you are responsible for to get the desired result where as being a pitcher is a far more open ended process to get there.  

Now I'd actually like JK to do some homework. I'm sure there are plenty of locals who actually saw him line up under center that are going, "Uh, I watched McCloud play QB before you're saying he played QB." and want the full story. Or for that matter, confirm how big a deal it is that he went from zero practice as a throwing QB to 11 D1 offers after nothing but his junior season.