• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Blake Barnett...the professional

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,485
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Brad Johnson would probably disagree with you.  He stayed at FSU behind Casey Weldon and did all right in the NFL later.  

For sure, he probably would have developed more if he had stayed in one spot.  

So your saying Blake is as good as Brad Johnson?  I'm sure there are more backups that graduate without ever starting than the "Brad Johnsons".  He was behind Hurts. He was never going to play except in mop-up duty.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Kid still has a chance. He throws a beautiful ball, is 6'4", has a strong arm. That is enough to get a look in the pros. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

He was behind Hurts. He was never going to play except in mop-up duty.  

And he was behind Manny Wilkins at AZ State. I don't blame BB for trying to find a place to play. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

5 minutes ago, bullstampede9922 said:

So your saying Blake is as good as Brad Johnson?  I'm sure there are more backups that graduate without ever starting than the "Brad Johnsons".  

Um, yeah, that's literally not what I was saying at all.  For the contextually challenged, let's just say he certainly could have stayed and developed under some of the best coaches in college football.  His moving around was clearly to his detriment.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DontPushMe said:

What? No chance. He's proven himself to be awful at 3 schools. 

I realize I'm going against the hate, but have you looked at his stats?  He played mop-up duty at Alabama in 3 games with 19 pass attempts with 2 tds and no ints.  At Arizona, 2 games with 5 pass attempts.  Kind of a small sample size to say awful at 3 schools.  He hasn't been the game-changer that Flowers was, but I think we would have had a few more wins if the defense had played better or the offensive line hadn't been a sieve.

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull

Blake is the type of QB that needs a strong OL to be successful, something we don't have right now. 

McLeod had the ability to hide some of those OL deficiencies which is why I'm glad we are going with him now, but as a Freshman he is going to take some lumps.  Get him the experience this year and let him grow.  Hopefully we finally address the **** OL next year!

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

And he was behind Manny Wilkins at AZ State. I don't blame BB for trying to find a place to play. 

At the end of the day, I don't really blame him either.  He did what he thought was best for him.  I would imagine, in hindsight, he might have done a few things differently, as developmentally he lacks more than a few skills that successful QBs have, but he's never given himself a chance to learn them because when he didn't get the job (edit:  or lost the job), he left.  

I've just thought for a while now that he isn't the right fit for USF, and his presence on the field did USF absolutely no good if it was hindering someone else from getting PT. 

I'm happy for myself to say that I feel I've been proved correct with McCloud's rise 😎 but I do wish BB luck down the road.  

He could certainly earn a decent living on a scout team somewhere, I guess.  But NFL defenses would eat him alive.  Just being real about it.  

Edited by GaUSFBull

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

What pisses me off the most is that Taggart finally found out how to win at USF, so instead of USF trying to keep with the same style up tempo offense they had Sterling come in and slow it down. Finally we are getting back to scoring fast with KB. 

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

Um, yeah, that's literally not what I was saying at all.  For the contextually challenged, let's just say he certainly could have stayed and developed under some of the best coaches in college football.  His moving around was clearly to his detriment.  

That's actually what you said.  Look at Brad Johnson, he was a backup and made it in the NFL as if one example makes the whole argument.  I just said he wanted playing time, saw the better talent that was going to be starting and saw the writing on the wall.   Didn't mean it as a challenge to your intellect.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

3 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

What pisses me off the most is that Taggart finally found out how to win at USF, so instead of USF trying to keep with the same style up tempo offense they had Sterling come in and slow it down. Finally we are getting back to scoring fast with KB. 

Saturday was the first time we even scored multiple touchdowns. Can we score multiple touches 2 games in a row before we say we are scoring fast?

• Like 1