• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Linebacker problems again

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,539
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Corey lea said:

Actually Boyles or Grier either one could slide to the middle if Macon gets hurt. Sawtelle's loss is that big of a deal. 

I agree completely, it IS that big of a deal. Until I see us beat someone besides UConn without Nico in there I'm going to be just a little concerned ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Did Sawtelle's dog take a crap in your yard or something?

No... I just personally think some fans over value his abilities and worth. I don't wish injury on anyone, to be clear. If you want a championship team, we definitely needed to upgrade that position.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, Corey lea said:

No... I just personally think some fans over value his abilities and worth. I don't wish injury on anyone, to be clear. If you want a championship team, we definitely needed to upgrade that position.

If he wasn't injured, Nico would have been starting against Wisconsin. Macon would have probably been right along side of him, and that would have been a good 1-2 punch. As it stands now, we have a guy that appears to be a stud, but hasn't played a competitive down of football in 32 months, one guy that started 2 games at the LB position and saw limited playing time in a few others (Boyles),  and two guys that have only contributed on special teams. 

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

If he wasn't injured, Nico would have been starting against Wisconsin. Macon would have probably been right along side of him, and that would have been a good 1-2 punch. As it stands now, we have a guy that appears to be a stud, but hasn't played a competitive down of football in 32 months, one guy that started 2 games at the LB position and saw limited playing time in a few others (Boyles),  and two guys that have only contributed on special teams. 

That's because they were young and inexperienced. Now that they have more experience under their belt and added strength, they are ready to perform. Another way to look at it is that this program was devoid of talent so Sawtelle got to play. Sawtelle could not start from any P5 program and probably wouldn't get much run on special teams. Again, do you want a championship or give participation trophies? If you want this program to elevate its status then we must put P5 type players on the roster. Now that we can contact P5 players via the portal, the dynamics have changed. 

• Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Corey lea said:

If you want a championship team, we need to upgrade a hell of a lot more than that position.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  2,343

4 minutes ago, Corey lea said:

That's because they were young and inexperienced. Now that they have more experience under their belt and added strength, they are ready to perform. Another way to look at it is that this program was devoid of talent so Sawtelle got to play. Sawtelle could not start from any P5 program and probably wouldn't get much run on special teams. Again, do you want a championship or give participation trophies? If you want this program to elevate its status then we must put P5 type players on the roster. Now that we can contact P5 players via the portal, the dynamics have changed. 

Agreed - feel bad for the kid, but he's not an overall good player. Maybe for what we had on the roster, but not in the nation or even the AAC.

Just now, Corey lea said:

There is NO game experience out there with the exception of 2 starts from Boyles and maybe a few snaps each for Mims and Grier. We added 1 P5 player from the portal. While I am excited to watch him play, it has been 32 months since he has played a competitive down of football. You are grossly underestimating Sawtelle's value to this team. This isn't about participation trophies. If he wasn't injured, Sawtelle would be starting. That should tell you all you need to know about the coaching staff's level of comfort with the guys that will end up playing substantial snaps this week and beyond. I'm not saying that they won't perform, but no one knows if they are truly ready. 

Also, this crap that you are saying that Nico wouldn't even get special teams work at any P5 school is ridiculous. Beyond that, do you actually think any of our LBs, besides Macon, would be starting this week at any other P5? Of course not. You just have this absurd position that you have dug into that Nico is what was wrong with this defense last year when, in actuality, he was one of the few things that were right with it. 

1 minute ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Agreed - feel bad for the kid, but he's not an overall good player. Maybe for what we had on the roster, but not in the nation or even the AAC.

He was our most productive guy in the front 7 last year in the 6 games he played. His numbers in half a season rival what many on the team put up in an entire year. He wasn't the most physically gifted, but he played hard and smart. He was in the mold of an Auggie Sanchez and Ben Moffitt type that have always found success at USF. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

He was our most productive guy in the front 7 last year in the 6 games he played. His numbers in half a season rival what many on the team put up in an entire year. He wasn't the most physically gifted, but he played hard and smart. He was in the mold of an Auggie Sanchez and Ben Moffitt type that have always found success at USF. 

If you are saying that Sawtelle has the talent to play at a P5, name a school where this guy could start? We had the worst D in the country so using games he played in at the beginning of the season as a metric is absurd. You have to think that Macon saw better competition at practice than we mostly saw on our game schedule. Macon was not brought here because Nico was the man of year. He was brought here to play MLB, period! We had a dang safety playing lb..wth?

Sanchez was a player and could hold down the middle. Sawtelle was not even close to that kind of caliber. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
20 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

That is an unfair statement considering the plays he made for us while he was healthy.

The before and after play of the defense from the point of his injury is telling enough for me.  Cant just be coincidence.

Im not saying he was great but certainly alot better than what you are saying.