• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls vs. Loyola Marymount - In game discussion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

7 hours ago, MikeG said:

@Bausfkid

basing an entire argument off of a single article that ONLY mentions some of the costs and NONE of the revenues associated with this tournament and claiming it is a "money loser" with NOTHING positive to say whatsoever about it makes me question the motives of certain posters.

Instead of hoping for the best for the team in this tournament, some people choose to focus on this like we are wasting money even if they don't actually know for certain the facts of the situation (i.e. "where's the revenue?") -- take some responsibility and make sure you yourself KNOW there is no revenue generated to offset some of the costs for playing in this.

Like someone pointed out-- there is no sports program at USF that actually makes money (NET). Based on your definition, we should just scrap sports completely. When we play a football opponent-- we give them money for traveling expenses -- this may be standard across many sports (not certain). It cost us this much to HOST those teams that came to our venue. Sure-- it was handled by Roman CBI (and rather poorly based on the comment I heard during the game that LMU arrived using three different planes) -- and they probably took a HUGE cut off that money (they are business after all). THey failed to sell any TV packages of the tournament EXCEPT the championship games on ESPNU (just dumb)-- and had they done that, this would/should have been free if not a money maker. You cannot tell me that USF will receive NOTHING for playing games that appear on ESPNU. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Far smarter people than me run USF and if those leaders think it's a good opportunity than it is.  My opinion is not based on any conjured up motive.  No one could ever question my love for my university.  IMO CBG should be coach of the year in the AAC.  This team was picked dead last in preseason polls.  He and his staff have done an amazing job.

This tournament (IMO) is nothing in the world of college hoops.  Tampa, heck, even USF students haven't supported this team during this tournament.  If you're into it and passionate about it great.  I have a different opinion.  Monday night should be fun and I want them to win.  The juice is not worth the squeeze.

Go Bulls!

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

38 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Far smarter people than me run USF and if those leaders think it's a good opportunity than it is.  My opinion is not based on any conjured up motive.  No one could ever question my love for my university.  IMO CBG should be coach of the year in the AAC.  This team was picked dead last in preseason polls.  He and his staff have done an amazing job.

This tournament (IMO) is nothing in the world of college hoops.  Tampa, heck, even USF students haven't supported this team during this tournament.  If you're into it and passionate about it great.  I have a different opinion.  Monday night should be fun and I want them to win.  The juice is not worth the squeeze.

Go Bulls!

That's not saying much at all.  I get that if this were the NCAA tournament we'd get people to show up but I'd imagine we would even see bad attendance numbers in the WNIT.  Students haven't shown up in that great of numbers all season with the exception of a few games maybe.  The fact alone that this is giving this team a chance to play in post season the year after coming off of 10 wins means a heck of a lot, regardless if we're not bringing in money, is enough. It's building off of momentum from an expectation surpassed season that will also help build even more momentum for the 2019-2020 season. It may be nothing in the world of college hoops, but it's everything for this squad at the moment.  

Your opinion isn't uncommon at all and I can see why people think it's pointless, but I only see that from a financial aspect and it isn't major. I'm just thankful I get to watch USF Basketball in April.

Edited by OcalaBull2

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,728
  • Days Won:  0

30 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I'm just thankful I get to watch USF Basketball in April.

💯 Especially thankful I get to watch the best ever USF men's basketball team play a few more games to (hopefully) set the new record for most wins in a season. I mean, USF hoops in April! Go Bulls! 🏀🤘

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

47 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Your opinion isn't uncommon at all and I can see why people think it's pointless, but I only see that from a financial aspect and it isn't major. I'm just thankful I get to watch USF Basketball in April.

I'm still confused how a person is all in favor of WBB, but is against USF supporting money losing sports endeavors.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486
  • Days Won:  0

I think it's a nice reward for the student athletes who took a leap of faith at the dumpster fire basketball program.  Their standards should be higher next season, but I think they deserved this for the hard work they put in all season.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, OcalaBull2 said:

That's not saying much at all.  I get that if this were the NCAA tournament we'd get people to show up but I'd imagine we would even see bad attendance numbers in the WNIT.  Students haven't shown up in that great of numbers all season with the exception of a few games maybe.  The fact alone that this is giving this team a chance to play in post season the year after coming off of 10 wins means a heck of a lot, regardless if we're not bringing in money, is enough. It's building off of momentum from an expectation surpassed season that will also help build even more momentum for the 2019-2020 season. It may be nothing in the world of college hoops, but it's everything for this squad at the moment.  

oops, meant NIT

40 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I'm still confused how a person is all in favor of WBB, but is against USF supporting money losing sports endeavors.

I guess I look at the CBI as a third world opportunity at best.  The men had a good year, not great.  Far better than anyone expected.  Throwing $$$ at the CBI for me is a tough pill to swallow.  NIT I’m all in.

I could only image if the tables were turned and our hated enemies 90 miles to the east were where are now the lashings they would be taking from some on this board over being all excited over the CBI trophy.  BTW, if we win do we buy our own trophy?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

Go Bulls!

1 hour ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Just think about this for a second. IF the BULLS had shot free throws for the season like they have in the last 8 - 10 games you wouldn't even be having this debate. 

GO BULLS!

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,884
  • Days Won:  33

2 hours ago, Bausfkid said:

The juice is not worth the squeeze.

Go Bulls!

Looking ahead to next season, what if this team goes on a run we all wish for and they credit that to having the extra time and practice afforded to them from this tournament?

Go BULLS!!