• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kerwin Bell assumes ‘total control’ of USF offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,572
  • Days Won:  28

13 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Do we have what’s needed on the roster to run his system now?  

Sure would like to see what his QB at Valdosta State could do at this level.  Appears to have the size, speed and decision making.  Also, his Dad briefly BB at USF...go figure.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019/01/18/kerwin-bells-offense-was-perfected-in-valdosta/

Their QB sounds pretty nice for real. 

"But the key cog was Wells, a 6-foot-3, 220-pound dual threat whose dad, Rick, appeared in one game for the 1986-87 USF basketball team.

The archetype of a Bell-system QB, Wells completed more than 57 percent of his passes (209-for-364) for 3,075 yards, 38 TDs and only four interceptions. Endowed with 4.5 speed (according to Bell), he added 732 rushing yards and 11 TDs, finishing as runner-up for the Harlon Hill Trophy, awarded to the top player in D-II.

“He was a great decision maker,” Bell said."

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

9 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Their QB sounds pretty nice for real. 

"But the key cog was Wells, a 6-foot-3, 220-pound dual threat whose dad, Rick, appeared in one game for the 1986-87 USF basketball team.

The archetype of a Bell-system QB, Wells completed more than 57 percent of his passes (209-for-364) for 3,075 yards, 38 TDs and only four interceptions. Endowed with 4.5 speed (according to Bell), he added 732 rushing yards and 11 TDs, finishing as runner-up for the Harlon Hill Trophy, awarded to the top player in D-II.

“He was a great decision maker,” Bell said."

If the kid wanted to walk on I would be ok with that (assuming there would be no favoritism).  Bringing this kid with you on scholly doesn't exactly get you off on the right foot with the kids on the roster.   There were some bad feelings about the Barnett move that didn't go away for some guys even after Barnett was visibly the best option (1 was one of the best players on offense).   While football ideally should be the ultimate meritocracy that's not how things work in the real world.   There are people and with that comes personalities and relationships that must be balanced and considered or you can run into a toxic situation in the locker room real quick.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

21 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

That's not directly what you've been running around asserting but you were selling that his overall philosophy was.  You've been playing a bit of semantics game that gives you an out.  You were claiming CCS overall "conservative philosophy" is the problem.  So while not asserting that CCS is directly chiming in with a "run this play" type influence you were asserting his overall philosophy WAS INDEED affecting the offense's playing calling.  So yes, what you were running around selling was indeed that CCS has something to do with play calling you're just doing it in a round about way that you are now using as an out....  It's a neat but classic message board tactic.   

I didn't assert anything.  I said it.  CCS hired Gilbert, brought him along to Tampa, and kept him along.   Conservatism seemed to be a pretty prevalent theme.   He's the head coach.  I would expect he influences the whole team.  I don't agree with the assertion that Gilbert was going Rogue for 4 years under CCS.   

I NEVER asserted that CCS was calling plays. There's a big difference between influencing and calling plays

The beauty of it is, he hired Bell now who appears to want to open it up so it would seem that won't be problem or a debate going forward

Edited by chapelbull
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

If the kid wanted to walk on I would be ok with that.  Bringing this kid with you on scholly doesn't exactly get you off on the right foot with the kids on the roster.   There were some bad feelings about the Barnett move that didn't go away for some guys even after Barnett was the best option (1 was one of the best players on offense).   While football ideally should be the ultimate meritocracy that's not how things work in the real world.   There are people and with that comes personalities and relationships that must be balanced and considered or you can run into a toxic situation in the locker room real quick.  

I never said give him a scholarship. I just said based on his size, speed and stats he does look intriguing. I made a post a few days ago in which I stated that we need to stop pursuing transfer QBs so hard b/c i feel it may turn off potential high school recruits. I feel we need to work with who we currently have. 

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  77
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I never said give him a scholarship. I just said based on his size, speed and stats he does look intriguing. I made a post a few days ago in which I stated that we need to stop pursuing transfer QBs so hard b/c i feel it may turn off potential high school recruits. I feel we need to work with who we currently have. 

I think I might be the one who mentioned giving him a scholarship in another post. I don't know what USF's scholarship situation is (UF has traditionally been well below the 85 max) but if you have one to spare I think it would be well used on Wells.  He would have to sit a year and would only have one year of eligibility after that, so he's not a threat to anyone immediately. But, he could certainly help the active guys learn the system since he clearly has it mastered. An extra QB coach so to speak.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

8 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Just speaking in general really with that.  People always forget these kids are people with emotions etc.   I'm with you on the transfer QB's. You need to get kids that come up in the program because they have better credibility in the locker room and transition into leadership roles better than transfer mercenaries.   

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

Don't know if you guys were aware but Valdosta State's red zone conversion percentage was 91% going into the championship game this past season.  Haven't looked up the stats yet but pretty sure that puts ours to shame.  I'd also like to point out that we still haven't scored a red zone passing touchdown since the Illinois game. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

4 minutes ago, G8RLegist said:

I think I might be the one who mentioned giving him a scholarship in another post. I don't know what USF's scholarship situation is (UF has traditionally been well below the 85 max) but if you have one to spare I think it would be well used on Wells.  He would have to sit a year and would only have one year of eligibility after that, so he's not a threat to anyone immediately. But, he could certainly help the active guys learn the system since he clearly has it mastered. An extra QB coach so to speak.

If he has 2 years left, let him play at Valdosta, graduate and then come here as a grad transfer.  Or does he only have 1 year left?  

1 minute ago, Bull Dozer said:

Just speaking in general really with that.  People always forget these kids are people with emotions etc.   I'm with you on the transfer QB's. You need to get kids that come up in the program because they have better credibility in the locker room and transition into leadership roles better than transfer mercenaries.   

I agree. I have that same argument about people forgetting that these kids are people with emotions too. I'm not opposed to transfers on other positions, b/c most you need depth, but QB is a very sensitive position. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  77
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

If he has 2 years left, let him play at Valdosta, graduate and then come here as a grad transfer.  Or does he only have 1 year left?  

He is currently a redshirt sophomore. If he transfers in he'd have to sit a year, but would then be eligible to play his senior year.  Also keep in mind that Bell's contract is only for two years. He needs to get your offense kick started immediately. I don't think having the number 2 guy in all of DII come in to help out would ruffle many feathers in the locker room. If McCloud and Battles are worried about him taking their job in two years, you have bigger problems.  And him having just one year left to play should not deter any 2020 QB recruits since he'll be gone after their first year.