• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kerwin Bell assumes ‘total control’ of USF offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,009
  • Days Won:  38

11 hours ago, 7overlord said:

Bring it up with SG.

There were also similar comments after a game.  It was a little eyebrow raising to me.  Hopefully this all gets corrected next year.  There aren't anymore QFs to cover up this junk.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,429
  • Days Won:  3

Am I the only one that thinks that a system modeled under the "Steve Spurrier system" is as outdated as the HB-Dive heavy system under Gilbert?

I mean Gilbert also has good stat numbers for any new fan to argue.

I would've rather had a guy that wanted to go as fast as possible, its the current trend in college football and we were succeeding with it with the Gulf Coast offense.

Going fast for the sake of going fast is college football in 2019, not Steve Spurrier.

I don't know I'm not too giddy from Bell's comments whatsoever.

Edited by zarnozdabull

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Am I the only one that thinks that a system modeled under the "Steve Spurrier system" is as outdated as the HB-Dive heavy system under Gilbert?

I would've rather had a guy that wanted to go as fast as possible, its the current trend in college football and we were succeeding with it with the Gulf Coast offense.

Going fast for the sake of going fast is college football in 2019, not Steve Spurrier.

We were going faster under SG than xCWT. Like Bell said, we're not going to go fast just for the sake of going fast.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

13 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Going fast is only effective if your offense is good at it. It certainly hasn't helped Oklahoma in the CFP. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

27 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

He was only with Strong for three seasons. 

I'm sure your boss would have to pay a lot less to fire you then USF would have had to pay to fire Gilbert. Not to mention that even though Flowers had a lot to do with it, he ran the 10th best offense in the nation in 2017. He also had a 2000 yard rusher in 2016, You have to give that guy another year whether he drives you crazy or not. 

This.  You have to completely ignore the realities of contracts and the statistical smoke and mirrors that Gilbert had covering his butt to think that CCS has grounds to fire Gilbert before this season's **** show.  Gilbert fell ass backwards into Foreman and QF and they were both physically gifted enough to cover up Gilbert's piss poor play calling because they could make something happen even if the defense knew exactly what was coming.   When you take those kind of guys out of that offense what you get is a system that cannot stand on it's own.  It's like taking a girl home from the bar who you thought was an 8 but when you wake up and the booze wears off shes a 3.   CCS would have had a bad optics problem if he let Gilbert go after his first season at USF and I think the whole staff moving over from UT as much to do with the contract discounts we were as it does in Gilbert the apple of CCS's eye.  

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  77
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

As he said in the press conference, what he got from Spurrier's system is the concepts of spacing and timing.  Wanting the execution to be as perfect as possible. And he wants to go fast. VSU's offense went fast. You don't set records for scoring by going slow. He just won't go fast to the point that it hurts the execution.  He's against going fast just for the sake of going fast.  He said he wants to go fast in order to put the defense at a disadvantage.  If you go so fast that you lose execution, the defense is no longer at a disadvantage.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

15 minutes ago, G8RLegist said:

As he said in the press conference, what he got from Spurrier's system is the concepts of spacing and timing.  Wanting the execution to be as perfect as possible. And he wants to go fast. VSU's offense went fast. You don't set records for scoring by going slow. He just won't go fast to the point that it hurts the execution.  He's against going fast just for the sake of going fast.  He said he wants to go fast in order to put the defense at a disadvantage.  If you go so fast that you lose execution, the defense is no longer at a disadvantage.

He also said that when we score 21 our focus is on scoring 28. I took that to mean he's not a fan of slowing down with a lead.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Bull Dozer said:

Just speaking in general really with that.  People always forget these kids are people with emotions etc.   I'm with you on the transfer QB's. You need to get kids that come up in the program because they have better credibility in the locker room and transition into leadership roles better than transfer mercenaries.   

Kyler Murray says hi.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

6 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Kyler Murray says hi.

Yup, it can definitely work if you get a high level kid that you already know is Elite.  None of these things are all or nothing and there will always  be outliers that most of us remember like Murray or Russel Wilson etc.   But for everyone of those there are others who didn't work out and caused issues.   Just because you take a risk and it pays off it doesn't mean you will get the same results every time you take that risk.   

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Kyler Murray walked into a locker room knowing he wasn't gonna start. I feel like in the case of the VSU kid, the notion is he is coming to compete for the job. A little different circumstances.