• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kerwin Bell assumes ‘total control’ of USF offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Just now, G8RLegist said:

He is currently a redshirt sophomore. If he transfers in he'd have to sit a year, but would then be eligible to play his senior year.  Also keep in mind that Bell's contract is only for two years. He needs to get your offense kick started immediately. I don't think having the number 2 guy in all of DII come in to help out would ruffle many feathers in the locker room. If McCloud and Battles are worried about him taking their job in two years, you have bigger problems.  And him having just one year left to play should not deter any 2020 QB recruits since he'll be gone after their first year.

I'm not so sure you have to sit when transferring form DII

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

29 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I didn't assert anything.  I said it.  CCS hired Gilbert, brought him along to Tampa, and kept him along.   Conservatism seemed to be a pretty prevalent theme.   He's the head coach.  I would expect he influences the whole team.  I don't agree with the assertion that Gilbert was going Rogue for 4 years under CCS.   

I NEVER asserted that CCS was calling plays. There's a big difference between influencing and calling plays

The beauty of it is, he hired Bell now who appears to want to open it up so it would seem that won't be problem or a debate going forward

Not the way you're asserting it here.   You basically make it out like CCS had Gilbert backed into a corner and was forcing us to run the limited playbook which indeed does have a direct influence on play calling.  Your whole "he doesn't know the offense exists" bit is quite clear you saying the terrible play calling etc was all a directive of strong putting a governor on the offense.   He may not be saying "HB dive here Sterling" but directly but he darn sure has control of the play calling if he's made it a mandate to pare down the offense to the unimaginative train wreck we saw since Gilbert got here.  You're trying to eat your cake and have it too here.   But it doesn't work that way 

I think you're over complicating it.  Gilbert is a dollar store knock off Babers/Montgomery and what we saw is just who he is as an OC.   There is not some CCS behind the scenes conspiracy here.  Gilbert is just a bad OC who only has succcess if he has freaks of nature like QF and Foreman at Texas who can out athlete enough people to make plays even when the defense knows it's coming.  

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  77
  • Days Won:  0

4 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I am pretty sure you do.  I looked it up, but it is possible that I may have read it wrong. You don't have to sit if you go DI to DII, but if you go DII to DI you have to sit a year (unless you fits an exception).

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

Edited by G8RLegist

5 minutes ago, G8RLegist said:

I am pretty sure you do.  I looked it up, but it is possible that I may have read it wrong. You don't have to sit if you go DI to DII, but if you go DII to DI you have to sit a year.

Yeah I started looking it up to. the wording is little tough to get through but I think it has to do with whether or not you were on Scholarship. i would assume he was. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

6 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I was about to say the same thing. I know you dont have to sit out a year when you go down to DII so i feel it would be messed up if it's not the other way around. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

27 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I didn't assert anything.  I said it.  CCS hired Gilbert, brought him along to Tampa, and kept him along.   Conservatism seemed to be a pretty prevalent theme.   He's the head coach.  I would expect he influences the whole team.  I don't agree with the assertion that Gilbert was going Rogue for 4 years under CCS.   

I NEVER asserted that CCS was calling plays. There's a big difference between influencing and calling plays

The beauty of it is, he hired Bell now who appears to want to open it up so it would seem that won't be problem or a debate going forward

Truth. I don't go four years driving my boss crazy and doing my job in a way he doesn't like and I'd imagine it's even less so as a college/pro football coach.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683

Just now, Bull Dozer said:

Not the way you're asserting it here.   You basically make it out like CCS had Gilbert backed into a corner and was forcing us to run the limited playbook which indeed does have a direct influence on play calling.  

That's not what I said, not even close, but if it helps you sleep at night have at it.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

That's not what I said, not even close, but if it helps you sleep at night have at it.  

So what ARE you saying?  Clarify.  I think you're searching for a conspiracy where there is none.  Gilbert is a dollar store knock off Babers/Montgomery and what we saw is just who he is as an OC.   There is not some CCS behind the scenes conspiracy here.  Gilbert is just a bad OC who only has success if he has freaks of nature like QF and Foreman at Texas who can out athlete enough people to make plays even when the defense knows it's coming.    He's only been calling plays for 3 years yet he refuses to self examine things and just chalks everything up to "execution".   I have it on good authority that Gilbert had free reign while here.....

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683

3 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Truth. I don't go four years driving my boss crazy and doing my job in a way he doesn't like and I'd imagine it's even less so as a college/pro football coach.

That's the way I see it, but apparently CCS doesn't have anything to do with the OC so I hope whoever does got it right this time with Bell.  I like what I see so far.

27 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

He was only with Strong for three seasons. 

I'm sure your boss would have to pay a lot less to fire you then USF would have had to pay to fire Gilbert. Not to mention that even though Flowers had a lot to do with it, he ran the 10th best offense in the nation in 2017. He also had a 2000 yard rusher in 2016, You have to give that guy another year whether he drives you crazy or not. 

Edited by BrassBulls12