• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  78
  • Days Won:  0

Cronk isn't near the back Marlon Mack is. Mack has WAY better vision, cuts, acceleration, and running strength. Cronk may be better than DJ, but he's much closer to DJ than he is to Mack. Cronkrite will never get more than 5 carries in an NFL game in my opinion. I'm not rooting against him, I'm just calling it like I see it. Feel free to point out when he made his own plays, instead of running through wide open gaps, which Ford was doing too. Mack made his own plays all the time without great blocks, which he is still doing in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  78
  • Days Won:  0

This is widely considered one of his best games, against an objectively bad team. Now I'm not going to say he can't make an NFL roster, because he is explosive hitting the hole, but he isn't doing anything "special" here. I thought our offensive line deserved more of the credit, as they are the ones creating the holes for him to run through, rather than him making something out of nothing like NFL backs should be doing against UMass. One more weakness is I see small DB's consistently bring him down immediately, instead of him dragging on for anymore yards. 

Either way, I like him as a player and wish him luck in whatever he decides to do next year. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

9 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Absolutely. I think Gilbert would have made even Marlon Mack look mediocre. Thankfully for Mack, he was in an offense that he could shine in. Hopefully Bell can do the same for Cronkrite.

I think that Mack looked good in the GCO partly due to Flowers and having some large holes and good speed. But, don't sell Mack short... his first season here he was in a more pro-style offense and honestly, his draft stock may have been even higher if CWT had stuck with that. From his first game, you could tell that there was an extra level of vision and patience that he possessed to allow things to open up.

Cronk probably has all of the skills, but, I don't know if he has the vision that Mack had. Forget speed, vision is something that RBs at the next level need to be successful. Frank Gore at 35 years old had a heck of a season for Miami this year because he has elite vision, probably as good as anyone who has ever played... He certainly doesn't have 4.4. or 4.5 speed (I don't think he ever did), but, a guy who can get you 5 ypc in the NFL is more valuable than a guy who can break a big one every 200 carries or so. As a dolphins fan, following the reporters, it was fun seeing how they all marveled at how Gore looked in practice and how different he is than the guys on the team that probably have more physical talent at this point.

I think Mack is a good combo of speed a vision. He has homerun ability, but, decent enough vision to wait for a hole to open up and get what is there on most plays too. His size may limit him at some point as the speed fades because he does struggle to break tackles on negative plays to minimize the damage.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

RBs have a very short shelf life in the NFL. If he feels he will be drafted than he should probably do what's best for him as he can always go back to school. Hope hes closer to Mack than Darrell Scott. I think he ends up staying but if he goes I wish him nothing but the best. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

if he has his degree then he should go give the NFL a shot.

probably doesn't mean much whether he is a late round pick or UDFA.

it's the 2nd contract you're playing for unless you are an early pick and get lots of guaranteed money.

RBs are a dime a dozen and teams do not want to spend early picks on them unless they feel they are a special talent.

he won't show that here splitting carries next year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

57 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

if he has his degree then he should go give the NFL a shot.

probably doesn't mean much whether he is a late round pick or UDFA.

it's the 2nd contract you're playing for unless you are an early pick and get lots of guaranteed money.

RBs are a dime a dozen and teams do not want to spend early picks on them unless they feel they are a special talent.

he won't show that here splitting carries next year.

If he can't earn the full time job at USF I don't see him making an NFL squad.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Worst move by a USF RB since D. Scott left during the CJL days. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

10 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

If he can't earn the full time job at USF I don't see him making an NFL squad.

nothing wrong with him pursuing his dream regardless.  If he has earned his degree then he should move on.

I'm sure there are plenty of RBs who have been successful in the NFL that have played in split backfields in college.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

Just now, Bull94 said:

nothing wrong with him pursuing his dream regardless.  If he has earned his degree then he should move on.

I'm sure there are plenty of RBs who have been successful in the NFL that have played in split backfields in college.

Every RB splits carries.  I was thinking if it was 50/50 then not a good omen for him.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Every RB splits carries.  I was thinking if it was 50/50 then not a good omen for him.

50/50? According to one of our other threads, Johnny Ford is transferring.