• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kelly sticks with Strong

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

19 hours ago, 94 Bull said:

I am really liking Kelly, finally some intelligent thought and an actual process. Everyone is so emotional, with no patience to discipline. There is a real process and strategy when building anything. You make adjustments as you go, but whole sale changes year in and year out don't work. I forget what season it was, but Tony Dungy, after a poor year was ask what he was going to change, his response was "nothing". He proceeded to explain that he had a system that works, they just needed to execute better and learn. As we have come to see, Dungy is an all timer. I'm not saying changes shouldn't be made, but you don't do it, just because you had a bad year. Sometime just a tweak here or there and some added experience is all that's needed. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, michibull said:

I am really liking Kelly, finally some intelligent thought and an actual process. Everyone is so emotional, with no patience to discipline. There is a real process and strategy when building anything. You make adjustments as you go, but whole sale changes year in and year out don't work. I forget what season it was, but Tony Dungy, after a poor year was ask what he was going to change, his response was "nothing". He proceeded to explain that he had a system that works, they just needed to execute better and learn. As we have come to see, Dungy is an all timer. I'm not saying changes shouldn't be made, but you don't do it, just because you had a bad year. Sometime just a tweak here or there and some added experience is all that's needed. 

Dungy was a very good coach and is an even better man.  But he was fired from Tampa Bay because of their very conservative offensive play which had them underachieving ..... despite 3 different OCs ...  ironic you brought him up

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Dungy was a very good coach and is an even better man.  But he was fired from Tampa Bay because of their very conservative offensive play which had them underachieving ..... despite 3 different OCs ...  ironic you brought him up

You are spot on, Dungy is my all time favorite, and I think he got a raw deal with Tampa. Gruden won with Dungy's team against his own team, then proceeded to destroy the Bucs. I think Peyton Manning running the offense in Indy was a perfect compliment to Dungy. That said, I think Strong and Dungy could be similar people and if we show some patience and see who Strong gets for an OC, we could be pleasantly surprised. My big concern is defense. If Strong is supposed to be a defensive guy, our defense was atrocious. It's hard to find HC's with high character and has a great relationship with his team. Due to this I want to give Strong a solid compliment of years to iron out the kinks and get everything in place. My personal opinion is 5-7 years as long as we are competitive and we see progress. This year actually didn't bother as much as some, but I would like to see the OC and DC changed, but I trust Kelly and Strong and whatever they decide, I'll give them next year to see how it works out before I make any judgements. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683

1 minute ago, michibull said:

Gruden won with Dungy's team 

That is a very major misstatement ..... but obviously not relevant to this thread

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

That is a very major misstatement ..... but obviously not relevant to this thread

The core was very much intact. For the exception of Dunn, Green, 2 OL and 1 DL, it was essentially the same team....... oh, but it is son. Dungy built the team, was a Bert Emanuel catch (which it was, the rule was changed later) and they were going to the Super Bowl in 99, a decent year in 00 and a struggle in '01 and that was his job. He had built a consistent contender that was capable of winning it all. Gruden came in and year one, won the super bowl over his Raiders, then it was a gradual decline and a revolving door at QB (which Gruden was supposed to be a QB whisperer but no patience and no consistency didn't work out). Dungy on the other hand took his philosophy to Indy and had a tweak in offensive strategy and he built a sustained system and team that lasted many years (yes, Manning had a large part to play). Long story short, a high character, players coach who has a proven system, sometimes just needs a tweak to make a huge improvement, and also shouldn't be abandoned for the sake of change.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, michibull said:

How many Super Bowls did he win with the Bucs?

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712

So what I gather from this discussions is that all we need Payton Manning calling plays and possibly making the throws? Some process.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

30 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

So what I gather from this discussions is that all we need Payton Manning calling plays and possibly making the throws? Some process.

And that you can get credit for other people winning with your players.