• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas Tech Wants Mike Leach Back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The golden goose was the Big East. CJL was more a golden gosling .... or, more accurately, the Founding Father of USF football.

Like Ryan?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,648
  • Days Won:  424

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Like Ryan?

I suck at pop culture references ....

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The golden goose was the Big East. CJL was more a golden gosling .... or, more accurately, the Founding Father of USF football.

Likewise, I guess Lee Roy was a bit player. 

Had Skippy or the number of local HS coaches that applied been chosen by Paul Griffin, the Big East would have never happened. 

CJL knew you had to beat someone.  Not kiss your sister. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,266
  • Days Won:  255

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I suck at pop culture references ....

You aren’t a fan of the notebook?

55 minutes ago, Brad said:

Likewise, I guess Lee Roy was a bit player. 

Had Skippy or the number of local HS coaches that applied been chosen by Paul Griffin, the Big East would have never happened. 

CJL knew you had to beat someone.  Not kiss your sister. 

Yeah, that was a horrible slight to LRS, and Griffin also. He was a Founding Father ...... and respect your opinion about the Big East invite but it is just that, an opinion, and conjecture. There's no way to know what kind of success anyone other than CJL would have had here starting a program and how much whatever success they had would have played in the invite decision. Two things we do know is that Jim did a great job of building ...we got an invite ..... but they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

And just so there's no confusion in where this discussion has gone at times, CJL is by far the best coach we've had here up to this point, based primarily on his entire body of work in comparison to the others.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Thankfully, no .....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

48 minutes ago, puc86 said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

9 hours ago, Brad said:

Dave, I can believe that.  @The Sheriff has told us stories about how he ran the coaching staff into the ground and didn't treat walk-ons (like The Sheriff) the same as scholarship guys and would blame them for stuff.  We know he hated McMurphy.  No one considers Leavitt an angel by any means.  There are some real dicks at my Fortune 500 company, but they get the job done and are in no danger of losing their jobs because they run others into the ground, or act like complete *****.

But I'm also someone who believes in doing the right thing.  I don't think USF did that.

Facts are facts.  Erskin had an ax to grind, above all McMurphy had an ax to grind.  I know a "fan-favorite" player who was grinding an ax, but won't name him here.  USF was far too quick to, what they thought at that time, to "capitalize" on the situation.  Rather than question the sources, veracity, timing and confluence of all these alleged incidents, they went for the throat.

I have stated this before: I was even asked by someone relatively high up in the admin what my reaction would be, what I thought if they ****canned Leavitt.  I felt it was a fishing expedition, to test the waters.  At the time of course, this board was significantly more populated and had significantly more traffic.  The program was alive.  I told them I thought it would kill the program.  Maybe that was a little dramatic.  I suggested they work it through (like any other school).  They did not.  Chose not to.  Lied themselves with the "independent investigator" they had on staff to do their dirty work.  So I balance out Jim's crazy ass style with my knowledge of cunning people in power and believe there is a lot we ought to know, but don't. 

Another thing I said, not too long ago, is Greg should write a book about this - unfortunately no one would buy it.  Well, maybe one third to one half of the remaining fans - so that's probably not enough.  You are another guy that could do something like that.  After all these years, the "truth" would be something refreshing.  I know a lot of the donors that were investing at that time are long, ******* gone.  Would be fun to talk to.  Same with the players.

And **** it, I had finally buried all this in the deep recesses of my frail memory.   It just shows how impactful Doug and Judy were to this program and its fans.  

In fairness, I don't think you'd find too many highly successful coaches that people rave about their personalities. Most of them are too caught up in their own world to really see how they treat others.I have never heard how much of a nice guy Nick Saban is. Urban Meyer didn't have players, former assistants, etc. jumping up and down saying how they wouldn't possibly believe that he knew what was going on because he's just too moral to allow it to happen.

Never had any personal connection to Leavitt, but, I worked as an SID during my time at USF and heard stories. Heard that he was quirky at best. He'd just stare up at the clouds and space out occasionally. Never really heard of blatant mistreatment of anyone, but, let's face it. What Brad lays out is the truth. O'Leary got his institution sued, dragged them through the ringer with the Plancher incident, and, UCF stood by him. Urban Meyer is still coaching at OSU even after all of his stuff. There are others out there that have been through things, even Maryland tried to bring by their guy until the players revolted.

IF USF had wanted to keep Leavitt, they would have figured out a way. History says that this was an opportunity that someone took to get rid of him. Back then, it was because we have "plateaued", but, I think if the book Brad mentions were ever written, we'd find out that it was because of egos that couldn't co-exist.

If anyone wants to feed me information, I'd very seriously consider pulling it all together and writing a book on it. I'd need some help with connections to as many of the people involved that would participate, but, I think the fans of this program would appreciate it.

I spent some time going back through my old posts from 2010 when this was all fresh. The best one was a comment I made about CJL being more important to this University in 20-years than either Judy or Doug. Woolard has moved on already and didn't leave a great legacy. Judy is on her way out, and, we're 9 years in basically... after another 11 years, who's name do you all think will be more instantly recognizable as a connection to USF?

30 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

I spent some time going back through my old posts from 2010 when this was all fresh. The best one was a comment I made about CJL being more important to this University in 20-years than either Judy or Doug. Woolard has moved on already and didn't leave a great legacy. Judy is on her way out, and, we're 9 years in basically... after another 11 years, who's name do you all think will be more instantly recognizable as a connection to USF?

In answer to your last question, unless we have an ocs with CJL’s name on it, the answer is Judy. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

17 hours ago, puc86 said:

I think most everyone would agree that losing the BCS status and being relegated to the minor leagues of the AAC is the single worst thing that has happened to our program. The reasons it may appear that some think it was CJL's dismissal are as follows:

1) it came first so people see it as the beginning of what eventually followed (even if there is little to no chance that it would have made a difference). 

2) it was entirely self inflicted and unnecessary where as if we were asked would we like to stay in the big leagues there is probably at least a 50% chance Doug and Judy would have said yes, but unfortunately no one asked so we may never know

3) there are only about three people in the world that try to pretend they like the AAC over the Big East where as there are a sizable number of vocal people that try to pretend some of the coaches that followed CJL were somehow better despite any and all evidence to the contrary 

4) the Big East is dead and its actually impossible to go back where as CJL is just highly improbable 

5) its probably the most interesting debate we have to talk about and its a polarizing subject for whatever reason

When a British soccer team gets relegated there's still lots to cheer for, you have the shot to win the lower league and get back into the upper division. We're relegated with no path back up and the local community is justifiably not supporting minor league college ball after having seen USF in the major leagues. It really was a stake in the heart through the program.