• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It took 3 losing seasons in a row for the TEXAS AD to fire Strong...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  484
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

I would be quite interested in seeing who Michael Kelly could hire as head coach. Brian Gregory seems to be a great hire for basketball, now let’s see who Kelly could land for football.

That is honestly the toughest question. If the offense starts to fire on all gears, then just promote Bell, otherwise I am clueless. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,678
  • Days Won:  108

7 hours ago, USFRaider said:

I would be quite interested in seeing who Michael Kelly could hire as head coach. Brian Gregory seems to be a great hire for basketball, now let’s see who Kelly could land for football.

Pretty sure Gregory is going into his 3rd year.  VPofA just started his 2nd.  He was Harlan's hire - after the Antigua hire.  1 for 2.  Good in baseball as a hitter.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I think this thread is an interesting example of how ignoring the true problem and USF propaganda can significantly change the narrative. 

If you scroll back to November 2018, many/most on this board were ready to fire CCS. Done. Mind you, no one had heard about the insane buyout/secret contract. It seems like only now after the SMU loss have we come full circle. 

Somehow from November 2018 till this season, USF and Kelly Jedi Mind Tricked the fan-base into believing:

• CCS wasn't the problem. All the issues were the result of Gilbert/Mattox/Blue Adams/etc and malcontent players. 
  • New hire OC Kerwin Bell was the solution of all of our ills. Much the same way in Idiocrasy President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho found some smart guy who is going to fix everything. 
  • Due to transfers and a brand new Offensive system (kids memorize those in like 15 minutes right?) and the hype machine of coach speak at practices and TDS (fanboys posing as insiders) the expectation many were looking at was anywhere from a 8-5 to a 10-3 record. Much the same way in South Park, you can 1) Steal Underpants 2) ???? and then you get 3) Profit. 

It was actually quite impressive spin on Kelly's part. It will be interesting to see how much longer Kelly will be able to "Stay Calm". 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, usf97 said:

I think this thread is an interesting example of how ignoring the true problem and USF propaganda can significantly change the narrative. 

If you scroll back to November 2018, many/most on this board were ready to fire CCS. Done. Mind you, no one had heard about the insane buyout/secret contract. It seems like only now after the SMU loss have we come full circle. 

Somehow from November 2018 till this season, USF and Kelly Jedi Mind Tricked the fan-base into believing:

• CCS wasn't the problem. All the issues were the result of Gilbert/Mattox/Blue Adams/etc and malcontent players. 
  • New hire OC Kerwin Bell was the solution of all of our ills. Much the same way in Idiocrasy President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho found some smart guy who is going to fix everything. 
  • Due to transfers and a brand new Offensive system (kids memorize those in like 15 minutes right?) and the hype machine of coach speak at practices and TDS (fanboys posing as insiders) the expectation many were looking at was anywhere from a 8-5 to a 10-3 record. Much the same way in South Park, you can 1) Steal Underpants 2) ???? and then you get 3) Profit. 

It was actually quite impressive spin on Kelly's part. It will be interesting to see how much longer Kelly will be able to "Stay Calm". 

His calmness will be based on the degree of his financial reality...

Guest Jonesy Bull
10 minutes ago, usf97 said:

As I'm quickly losing faith in CCS as a head coach, I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  The part I'm not sold on though is that Kelly intentionally tricked the fanbase as you call it.  Its pretty obvious that his hands were tied because of money this past  year and really had no choice but to bring him back.  He may have thought that with KB as OC, that we would at least a chance to be somewhat successful, let the season play out and then if things went wel - bring back the staff, if things went badly - then make the move and bring in your own guy. 

I actually still think KB could do a very job for us eventually as OC.  If you look at his 1st year records at JU and VSU, they weren't very good.  And the teams admitted that it took a full year for the players to really get a good understanding of the playbook before it clicked..  We may not get that chance to see what KB can do cause with CCS is likely out the door, that also most likely means a full house cleaning across the board.

If that happens, the next move by Kelly will tell us all we need to know on whether he is the right man for the job.

Guest Jonesy Bull
On ‎08‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:22 AM, CousinRicky said:

Pretty sure Gregory is going into his 3rd year.  VPofA just started his 2nd.  He was Harlan's hire - after the Antigua hire.  1 for 2.  Good in baseball as a hitter.

Yeah we can't credit Kelly for this one......even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, Jonesy Bull said:

As I'm quickly losing faith in CCS as a head coach, I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  The part I'm not sold on though is that Kelly intentionally tricked the fanbase as you call it.  Its pretty obvious that his hands were tied because of money this past  year and really had no choice but to bring him back.  He may have thought that with KB as OC, that we would at least a chance to be somewhat successful, let the season play out and then if things went wel - bring back the staff, if things went badly - then make the move and bring in your own guy. 

I actually still think KB could do a very job for us eventually as OC.  If you look at his 1st year records at JU and VSU, they weren't very good.  And the teams admitted that it took a full year for the players to really get a good understanding of the playbook before it clicked..  We may not get that chance to see what KB can do cause with CCS is likely out the door, that also most likely means a full house cleaning across the board.

If that happens, the next move by Kelly will tell us all we need to know on whether he is the right man for the job.

Although I believe we would be more successful running the spread, I have very little issue with KB. His problem is that he has a group of players who don’t have the skills (WR) or the aptitude (OL) to run his system. 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Jonesy Bull said:

It's such a screw you situation. Other than maybe a few big money donors he might talk to off the record Kelly can't come out and placate the fan base by saying "We are unable to make a coaching change due to the financial realities of the contract." in a public fashion because that would have all sorts of bad fallout. Maybe as bad as the current situation of having to act like he supports Strong. No win is an understatement of the ugly realities of the situation. Kelly better be playing Powerball in a big way.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,536
  • Days Won:  422

18 minutes ago, usf97 said:

A rational fanbase shouldn't need a Jedi Mind trick to give a coach a third, pivotal year to see if he can turn it back around after the crash rather than starting from zero again ... firing him after just two years would have been ridiculous and for those worried about USF's image out in the college football world, we would have been a laughing stock.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

Just now, Triple B said:

A rational fanbase shouldn't need a Jedi Mind trick to give a coach a third, pivotal year to see if he can turn it back around after the crash rather than starting from zero again ... firing him after just two years would have been ridiculous and for those worried about USF's image out in the college football world, we would have been a laughing stock.

Good thing we aren't a laughing stock right now.

• Haha 2