• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Post Game Pressers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

24 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

I’m not big on the whole “Coach has lost the team” thing, but this staff just doesn’t bring the excitement that CWTs staff did. Whether that was Taggart himself or some of the assistants, I don’t know. But this grandpa act isn’t cutting it. 

I haven’t been into that either but something crucial is missing. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,345
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, IBulleve said:

But this grandpa act isn’t cutting it

Oh gosh you hit the nail on the head. There was something missing about him but, that’s it.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Maybe it’s his demeanor but he’s never seemed fully vested here

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Oh gosh you hit the nail on the head. There was something missing about him but, that’s it.

He is terrible at press conferences...always the wrong  response or answers a question that makes you say “what?” Been like that since the opening press conference when he was hired. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Didn’t like his presser today.  He basically told the team you’re not big enough strong enough or good enough.  Kind of threw the team under the bus.  Maybe all of that is true but don’t call the players out like that.  Btw this is Strong’s 2018 Dline class.  Only player close to 300 is Waller and they moved him to Oline.  Perhaps he should look in the mirror.

https://247sports.com/college/south-florida/Season/2018-Football/Commits/?PositionGroup=D-LINE

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I haven’t been into that either but something crucial is missing. 

Tom Allen certainly brought excitement 

Edited by USFBulls727
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Tom Allen certainly brought excitement 

In my opinion one of the best coordinators USF has ever hired. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

19 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Just reading tweets from CCS press conference today. Seems like he’s talking a lot about injuries and lack of size on the Dline and not so much about coaching.  Full disclaimer.  I did not listen to the entire press conference.  Just going by the tweets.

I did not see the press conferences either so I am just going by the tweets and comments here. Did he address the offense at all?

I have just a general observation about the difference in philosophies between Taggart and Strong. Perhaps the difference between offensive minded coaches and defensive minded coaching. 

Basically strong is saying we aren’t winning now and played poorly in our earlier wins because of size and inexperience on defense. Nothing about the offense. 

Thinking about this, I find this to be an old school mentality. Quite honestly, maybe a BS excuse. 

Once Taggart figured out how to let the offense loose, he didn’t care how small or inexperienced the defense was. For the most part his defenses sucked here. He just said the hell with it. Our defense sucks we will just go and outscore them. There were several games like that. This offense isn’t designed like that. It needs a good defense to be a winning offense. 

When Taggart was here he had a lot of young inexperienced guys out there on both sides of the ball. The older, more experienced guys that Strong benefitted from last year were undersized and inexperienced during most of Taggart’s tenure. 

I was never a fan of Taggart’s, but I do have to give him credit for finding a winning formula to use the talent’s of the players he had to work with.

Maybe within a year or two these young guys develop as well.  My opinion is there are ways to be playing a better brand of football, with the guys on the field now, than we have been playing.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

I did not see the press conferences either so I am just going by the tweets and comments here. Did he address the offense at all?

I have just a general observation about the difference in philosophies between Taggart and Strong. Perhaps the difference between offensive minded coaches and defensive minded coaching. 

Basically strong is saying we aren’t winning now and played poorly in our earlier wins because of size and inexperience on defense. Nothing about the offense. 

Thinking about this, I find this to be an old school mentality. Quite honestly, maybe a BS excuse. 

Once Taggart figured out how to let the offense loose, he didn’t care how small or inexperienced the defense was. For the most part his defenses sucked here. He just said the hell with it. Our defense sucks we will just go and outscore them. There were several games like that. This offense isn’t designed like that. It needs a good defense to be a winning offense. 

When Taggart was here he had a lot of young inexperienced guys out there on both sides of the ball. The older, more experienced guys that Strong benefitted from last year were undersized and inexperienced during most of Taggart’s tenure. 

I was never a fan of Taggart’s, but I do have to give him credit for finding a winning formula to use the talent’s of the players he had to work with.

Maybe within a year or two these young guys develop as well.  My opinion is there are ways to be playing a better brand of football, with the guys on the field now, than we have been playing.

I agree with a lot of this. Strongs philosophy seems to be, “if our 11 guys can beat their 11 guys, we will win the game”. Zero strategy or creativity within this game plan. Scheming to our strengths is almost non existent. 

Example - Our Secondary and team speed is our strength on D. Well then why the heck are we playing primarily Zone coverage against running teams? Load the box, slant gaps and leave your corners on an island against Cincinnati’s not existent passing attack. Try and take away SOMETHING. Same goes for the Tulane game. 

It still baffles me that the staff decided to bench Mazzi and put Jaymon at boundary corner because he’s 2 inches taller against Houston. Mazzi is probably the best corner we’ve had since Kayvon, and you bench him for a FS that’s been beaten out by multiple freshman. Because he’s 2 inches taller. What a joke.

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

9 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

I get the whole youth movement excuse but didn't he know the seniors from last years team would be gone this year? did he not have a plan in place that involved something other than converting a DE and  safety into LBs? Maybe he should have planned for this 2 years ago when he got here. bring in some JUCO LBs and DTs

BTW the defense (according to the 10 starters listed on gousfbulls) started 6 upperclassmen and a RS sophomore this past week.