• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Historical Defensive Stats 2004-2018

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Days Won:  0

18 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Maybe he is deferring too much to BJM?

Or have we just really miss on recruitment on that side of the ball.  In this conference, I just can't excuse this kind of play completely on the "talent"

Lapointe, Sanders, Broyles, Roberts and Davis are all young guys who have looked good for getting thrown into the fire.  They do need some form of leadership either from older players or coaches to keep things going in the right direction.  I think the talent is there.  

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

24 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

Woodys defense in 2016 was the worst statistical year since 2004 and maybe the worst overall. 2016 defense also gave up 30 points per game.   I only highlighted the best the and the worst number in each category.

Yep, missed that one.  The game is evolving for sure but averaging over 30 is hard to watch as a fan.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Leavitt and Burnham believed in defense. They knew what they were doing 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  28

It still baffles me how everybody forgot about what a great job  BJM did last year. With the same players that was on a bad defense the year before. I'm really trying to not keep replying to the ungrateful hate we give to the coaches. BJM transformed our defense last year. And now that we are rebuilding, rather than write it off as a rebuilding year, you crap on the man who did a  great job last year. Thank God none of you are athletic directors or we would be in trouble. I get the wanting to get rid of Gilbert. He underachieved with Flowers and  underachieved this year. BJM only has one bad year since he has been here.

image.png.5d802dfac5932dba83b6acfcaf0471ca.png

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

I had my fears about the linebacker position and the lack of depth has really showed itself, especially the past few games without Nico Sawtelle in there. We need to go find some JC or grad transfer linebackers ASAP. I also question how the highly touted Andre Polk and Kierston Johnston have seemingly not developed under BJM and CCS. Polk may be injured, but man are we thin at such an important position in today's college game. The DTs we lost were NFL caliber and it is clear that the ones that have replaced them are not quite to their level. The middle of our defense is weak. Hopefully, we improve next season. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Hmm that last column bothers me. 30.9 pts per game. That's 1 point per game shy of our all time worst.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

I think the lack leadership thing is a bit overblown on the defensive side of the ball. Hoggins is a leader and Mazzi & Hampton have been around for a while. The biggest issue on defense is lack of playmakers on the DL. We lack explosion at DE on passing plays and interior guys struggle at disengaging. Our LBers are built to flow and shoot gaps. When the interior DL doesn’t do a good job eating blocks, these guys get covered up and washed pretty easily. 

Knowing this, you would think the staff would use more blitzes and play to our strength by allowing our corners to man up and focus on taking away the run. I find CCS to be a bit overrated in terms of defense, but the bigger problem on this side of the ball is personnel IMO. 

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  28

16 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

I think the lack leadership thing is a bit overblown on the defensive side of the ball. Hoggins is a leader and Mazzi & Hampton have been around for a while. The biggest issue on defense is lack of playmakers on the DL. We lack explosion at DE on passing plays and interior guys struggle at disengaging. Our LBers are built to flow and shoot gaps. When the interior DL doesn’t do a good job eating blocks, these guys get covered up and washed pretty easily. 

Knowing this, you would think the staff would use more blitzes and play to our strength by allowing our corners to man up and focus on taking away the run. I find CCS to be a bit overrated in terms of defense, but the bigger problem on this side of the ball is personnel IMO. 

I think we tried blitzing vs ECU and they took advantage with some long a$$ runs. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

I had my fears about the linebacker position and the lack of depth has really showed itself, especially the past few games without Nico Sawtelle in there. We need to go find some JC or grad transfer linebackers ASAP. I also question how the highly touted Andre Polk and Kierston Johnston have seemingly not developed under BJM and CCS. Polk may be injured, but man are we thin at such an important position in today's college game. The DTs we lost were NFL caliber and it is clear that the ones that have replaced them are not quite to their level. The middle of our defense is weak. Hopefully, we improve next season. 

Polk has been dinged up his entire time here and up to this point its the samething with KJ.  I'll forgive KJ though as he needed 2 years to get his body ready for the rigors of FBS ball and was forced into action due to lack of depth.  Hopefully he can get things back on track.  I think Polk is a lost cause at this point.  He was a great looking athlete coming out of high school but none of that matters if you are never healthy enough to play, develop, and contribute.... 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, Gatorbull325 said:

I think we tried blitzing vs ECU and they took advantage with some long a$$ runs. 

Sure did.  A majority of our core blitz concepts are with 2 safeties deep and simply bringing a Lb and sometimes a corner. Can’t just have McGee running wild into the lap of a OG, that’s not going to end well.  I was thinking more along the lines of the Double A Gap that you see trending the nfl today, leaving our corners on an island when the matchups fit. This allows us to essentially play a 6 man front and slant gap(s). Use the speed to penetrate gaps rather than pray someone wins a 1 on 1 battle and shakes free.