• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This might get you mad.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

9 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

So in other words, they ain't free

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

16 hours ago, Moreon said:

When I was going to USF all students got in for free with student Id. Not sure what it hurts letting a former player in for free given all the empty seats. 

USF students pay for their tickets per se, as part of their Athletic fees on their tuition. 

FYI - former student athletes are encouraged to be Varsity Club members, the cost is minimal (maybe $100 a year) perks include a couple free tickets to all home sporting events, not just the sport you played. 

I'm not saying this is the only factor, but there is a reasonable path for a former student athlete to stay connected to USF and get a good deal to go to many of the games. 

Now, can USF offer free tickets to former players too, sure, and they might again as a response to this. 

I just wanted to make sure the incorrect idea that USF doesn't care about former athletes or do anything for them is no pushed, that isn't the case. 

• Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,246
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Mike Stuben said:

I just wanted to make sure the incorrect idea that USF doesn't care about former athletes or do anything for them is no pushed, that isn't the case. 

I don't think anyone believes the University doesn't care about former athletes.

I think it's more a matter of appreciation for what they put into the game, especially football players who literally sacrifice body & possibly mind for a revenue sport that serves as one of the primary promotional tools for the school.

we all love the strides USF has made academically & want potential students to apply & enroll at USF for the quality of education & the value of the degree they will receive, but having a D1A football program that is frequently ranked & plays on national TV is undeniably invaluable for visibility & name/"brand" recognition.

why not appreciate the guys who make it happen? 

cheers!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

18 hours ago, bullstampede9922 said:

I'm guessing that this wasn't a last minute decision by USF.  Until we hear the whole story, who knows.  Maybe the guy assumed he was getting free tickets because he got them free last season and USF changed their policy.  Let's not jump the gun yet.  I would hope with a USF degree, he could afford to buy full price tickets which aren't much depending on where you sit.

18 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

You must be new here ;)

15 hours ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

the Tweet is upsetting but some of the comments here are ignorant asf.

1. these players risk their minds & bodies out there. just to get to college-level of play, most football players have had their bodies banged around for over a decade taking hits to their heads & bodies. science is increasingly showing that even the hits sustained at middle- & high school level can do permanent damage to the brain. there are players out there that can't walk, can't remember words, can't control their emotions because of the damage done to their bodies from football. HONOR THEM.

2. "Free education" ? no, they WORKED for it putting in days in the gym, in practice, on the field, on buses & planes traveling... All of which results in a marketable product that generates revenue for the university & takes time out of the classroom where they supposedly get their "free" education. also, NOT ALL PLAYERS ARE ON SCHOLARSHIP.

3. I ABSOLUTELY AGREE that there should be guidelines about which players get alum tickets, but those guidelines & any subsequent changes should be clearly stated IN ADVANCE. a former player with an alumni ticket should NEVER make the trip to ***HOMECOMING*** & be turned away with no explanation. ***IF*** that's actually what happened, shame on USF.

4. the Bulls have sold out ONE game. ONE. in 21 seasons. this season they're averaging ~30k per game. More than half the stadium is empty. those empty seats aren't generating money, but an alumni section would at least sell concessions & gear/souvenirs for family. it would also make a few less red seats visible on TV.

5. Yes, there are a lot of former players, but not all of them attend all games. plenty live out of state or simply can't make the games. 

6. Before insulting this former player, notice how he ended his tweet: "GO BULLS!!" he's disappointed & venting his frustration, but HE IS STILL CHEERING HIS ALMA MATER.

it's amazing that so many non-player alumni & fans here who supposedly "bleed green & gold" & whose Saturdays revolve around USF football 3 months out of the year treat the players as disposable. i LOATHE sounding like a whiny liberal here (sorry for the MadCow material) but a lot of these responses sound a lot like the "shut up & play ball" attitude that has become a shameful part of our national dialogue... & once they are no longer playing, it's just "shut up & appreciate the opportunity we gave u to entertain us."

BE BETTER THAN THAT.

👎🏽

See?

• Topic Count:  2,335
  • Content Count:  21,334
  • Days Won:  10

As a Varsity club member you get one free.  Buy the other ones like I do

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

11 minutes ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

I don't think anyone believes the University doesn't care about former athletes.

I think it's more a matter of appreciation for what they put into the game, especially football players who literally sacrifice body & possibly mind for a revenue sport that serves as one of the primary promotional tools for the school.

we all love the strides USF has made academically & want potential students to apply & enroll at USF for the quality of education & the value of the degree they will receive, but having a D1A football program that is frequently ranked & plays on national TV is undeniably invaluable for visibility & name/"brand" recognition.

why not appreciate the guys who make it happen? 

cheers!

You play college football because you love playing the game not for freebies down the road.   

At the end of the day, the real questions out there seem to be:

1. Does USF owe former players free tickets?

2. Is giving former players free tickets the right thing to do?

3. Does having the Varsity Club as a path for former players to get tickets enough?

(I don't know the answers). 

I will say this - having former players walk up to the window and ask for tickets an hour before kickoff might not be ideal. Whatever USF does, the players should know if they got tickets or not. 

I am torn, I always want to honor the past, but I also want the Varsity Club to be successful and there is no motivation for former football players to join if non members get the same perks as members. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

13 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I take it these guys got in free....

31395A92-8A81-45F5-B017-EE66C5C8F20C.jpeg

Cool seeing these guys together.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

the Tweet is upsetting but some of the comments here are ignorant asf.

1. these players risk their minds & bodies out there. just to get to college-level of play, most football players have had their bodies banged around for over a decade taking hits to their heads & bodies. science is increasingly showing that even the hits sustained at middle- & high school level can do permanent damage to the brain. there are players out there that can't walk, can't remember words, can't control their emotions because of the damage done to their bodies from football. HONOR THEM.

2. "Free education" ? no, they WORKED for it putting in days in the gym, in practice, on the field, on buses & planes traveling... All of which results in a marketable product that generates revenue for the university & takes time out of the classroom where they supposedly get their "free" education. also, NOT ALL PLAYERS ARE ON SCHOLARSHIP.

3. I ABSOLUTELY AGREE that there should be guidelines about which players get alum tickets, but those guidelines & any subsequent changes should be clearly stated IN ADVANCE. a former player with an alumni ticket should NEVER make the trip to ***HOMECOMING*** & be turned away with no explanation. ***IF*** that's actually what happened, shame on USF.

4. the Bulls have sold out ONE game. ONE. in 21 seasons. this season they're averaging ~30k per game. More than half the stadium is empty. those empty seats aren't generating money, but an alumni section would at least sell concessions & gear/souvenirs for family. it would also make a few less red seats visible on TV.

5. Yes, there are a lot of former players, but not all of them attend all games. plenty live out of state or simply can't make the games. 

6. Before insulting this former player, notice how he ended his tweet: "GO BULLS!!" he's disappointed & venting his frustration, but HE IS STILL CHEERING HIS ALMA MATER.

it's amazing that so many non-player alumni & fans here who supposedly "bleed green & gold" & whose Saturdays revolve around USF football 3 months out of the year treat the players as disposable. i LOATHE sounding like a whiny liberal here (sorry for the MadCow material) but a lot of these responses sound a lot like the "shut up & play ball" attitude that has become a shameful part of our national dialogue... & once they are no longer playing, it's just "shut up & appreciate the opportunity we gave u to entertain us."

BE BETTER THAN THAT.

👎🏽

I wholeheartedly agree with you 100%.  While I do not know the full circumstances, if this is validated then ot is the nature of society right now. 

Doesn't matter if you're liberal, conservative, black, white, or something in between...this is how we are treating one another right now.  No one cares any more.

Thousands of empty seats and we can't make concessions???

Todd...I will apologize for the rest of the bulls family.  I fully remeber who you are and how much you gave to our school and community.  Please remember...ni matter how crappy the world is, there are good people and people who cares.

• Upvote 1